1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: NAS Box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Guest-16, 29 Apr 2006.

1. malfunction

malfunction What's a Dremel?

Well if you want the other one it comes with some nice wrapping now:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=112115

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looking good Rich, 'leccy tape and a bit of hope always does nicely for mods. :D

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Overheating is it? Make the entire top into a heatsink or something :p

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Uuuh that's so.... so SLEEK! /me wants one..

übersolution against overheating would be heatsink-sideplates (as seen in Be quiet), but I'm pretty sure you won't do that.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was considering epoxying some alu blocks to the case top which then sit on top of the disk drives but it's the fact that the air inside just accumilates heat that's the problem. There's no convection even, so it needs just a single input fan and maybe a hole and some mesh underneath (out of sight) to keep a flow of fresh air.

The other problem is that 1" thick alu blocks the size of harddisks arent exactly easy to come by, cheaply. Whereas a fan is.

The whole thing DOES act as a heatsink. It feels hot to touch when on (apart from being electrocuted at the same time) but a single fan hole will be far more discrete and some heatsinks would need to be massive which would make it look bad.

6. malfunction

malfunction What's a Dremel?

You keep reminding me of an episode of the simpsons where they go along for family therapy and end up shocking each other.

Are you sure the PSU is OK? I had a shuttle PSU that kept shocking me after a day of power cuts and 'brown outs'. Got rid of it before it got rid of me! (Though it was nothing like the time when I tried to repair a shower without turning the juice off... That did a bit more than 'tickle')

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh I stuck my hand in a live 350W PSU the other day (stupidly) to check the fan was working. That tickled me all the way to scream. Im sure the PSU is probably to blame cause of my self made connector, but if this works and I can isolate it from everything then I dont really care. I'll take a multimeter too it and check.

8. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

the fans in a psu are just as bad. nealy took the top of my finger off with one. bloody hurt was a nice big flap of skin at the top of my finger nealy cut off.

9. gbeeby

gbeeby What's a Dremel?

dill some holes in the bottom and put a row of small fans on the back

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

On the outside would detract from the clean look and small fans = uber noise. There's no space inside along the edges either.

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Why not cut away from underneath the HDDs (Inside of where they are mounted) and mount some mesh there. Should let them breathe better too. :)

12. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

What I've seen done:

Get a big heatsink(s) with vertical fins that runs the whole length of the back panel. Bolt an internal heatsink with horizontal fins to match it on the inside. Use HS grease on both sides to eliminate the air gap. Then use an internal fan(s) running at low speed to circulate the air inside the case, put a baffle inside to setup a 'racetrack' for the air with the forced air blowing on the heatsink , narrow side of the track. That way you dont suck dust into the box, and most of the sound stays in the box. The flat metal acts a little as a heat spreader, but must of the heat comes off the deep (2inch) fins on the back.

You might also want to bolt some fins onto the side of your drives to help cool them.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ive gone for the vacuum cleaner: an 80mm under the harddisks which are being suspended an inch above the bottom, and a normal 120mm which I am cutting and supressing INTO the bottom of the case so the fanblades will be visible from underneath. I lost my frikkin drill arbator (sp?) bit for my 120mm holesaw so I was pretty pissed at the weekend as it's an expensive part and I also recon I'll just go buy an 80mm one cause they are generally very useful.

[​IMG]

Doesnt look like much but you can see where the 80mm drawing is and 120mm placement. The mobo is being suspended upside down almost 1.5" above the bottom and the case top has insulation I had spare to stop it shorting to it too. You can see the little legs I've made in it.

Today I'm resoldering the ATX cable to lengthen it, and in a few weekends I'll be cutting the holes/fitting the fans. Still not found any feet I like for it.

14. customh

customh conflagration.

What was the point of the pushbutton with the whole 8 conductor plug thing?

15. dingledorph

dingledorph What's a Dremel?

I love this setup. So clean and yet so sweet.

OT:
    Would it be possible to run a Torrent Client on FreeNAS?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The push button is the ON switch, the 8 connector is the replacement for the ethernet plug.

I've not tried running a torrent client, it's probably possible though.

Update today!

Couldnt buy a 76mm holesaw so had to buy an 83mm for an 80mm fan :( it's a little big but it worked. Nearly finished, but I ran out of cable soldering the ATX connector extensions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically I hacked the fan up to fit. The blade pertrude under the bottom of the case but it shouldnt be a problem. The mobo is a ******* to screw in upside down, and I had to use another rounded cable in replacement of the flat one cause it just didnt fit.
    It's all a little nip-tuck but it fits perfectly in the end and should provide enough airflow in.

I want to polish the visible sides, but Ive no idea how :(

17. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Only thing is Elbow grease Bindi - get a polishing wheel on a dremel or a drill and some polishing compound and this should bring it up a treat!

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Polishing wheels are about: (-----) that big. Alu cover is the length of my arm.

19. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

buy a proper polishing disk, like a rotary duster, and about 12cm across, then attach it to whatever rotarty tool you like (i recmend a pillar drill, and move the item to be polished, rather than the other way round)

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's basically it for now. Im just testing to check it wont go nuclear again, and it's not quiet anymore :(:( and I have to work out a way to really get the top on properly but that's going to require some thought.

I think Im still getting electrocuted though :( I cant really tell. When I put my hand on it it's ok, but when I take it off I get a tingling.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 May 2006