1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homemade water cooling for everyone ;) - january, 2006.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by turpija, 5 Jan 2006.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

i think the 6 inlets at the top are for the water coming back into the rez from the blocks!
    am i right? and the splitter is only for the water to go to each of the blocks
    if i am wrong then i am sorry

2. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

Offcourse there is splitter for blocks and after blocks all water "connects" in reservoir ... you could clicks few earlier updates and you would see splitter block ...

2 c.u.later : blade runner's ?

3. Renesis

Renesis What's a Dremel?

Šta da kažem, zgleda nevjerovatno... što se tiče kablovinja, ako treba, javi se na mail ili icq 193335575, pa da pomognem sredit. ljudi na pce me zovu cable freak, tako da... :D

@rest of crew - i just told him, his work is great, and if he would need some help around routing the wires, he could contact me :)

4. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

Ok, reservoir doesn't leak so I've connect remaining tubes ...

[​IMG]

Sweet look through window ;)

[​IMG]

I've fill system with water and a little bit of antifreeze, and then happened what I've been afraid off ... i can't bleed the system and as pump is almost highest point in system there is always air so pump can't make water flow :(
    Here you can see tube that lead to pump ...

[​IMG]

After desperatly trying to make it work, it was completely failure.
    So after some thinking, possible solution was to make T splitter to make small section abowe pump level ...
    This is the final piece ...

[​IMG]

... and to close that tube, I've recycle one connector ;)

[​IMG]

This is divided section, and it's working like a charm ;)
    System is now almost completely without air in which anyway seems like much better idea, as with air, water just keep droping in reservoir making iritating noise ;)

[​IMG]

I've run it overnight without problems or leaking and I'll post some pictures of completed assembly tommorow, as I'm to tired now ;)

5. Claas M

Claas M What's a Dremel?

It's lookin weird but fine ;) IMHO it would have worked if you have had laid your pc vertical so that the circle is filling. After it's completely fulled up, the down floatin water is sucking new water so that the pump will get the circuit.

Your mod has something about the very old nautic costumes..divers :)

6. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

please... PUT SOME CABLE CLAMPS ON THE TUBING

seriously, especially in the PSU, just put some zipties (cable ties) over the tubing, or it WILL slip off with the added heat and movement of teh water

im sayign this because if you dont you will fry something, as the fact you didnt even put any in the psu, is a bit stupid, as thats 240v (or 110v) and will quite happily kill you and/or your entire computer.

your mod looks very very good, and i hope it performs well aswell!

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

yeh you really should put somthing over the joins

their not compression fittings, so its important you do

8. Culito

Culito What's a Dremel?

Can't you people appreciate someone who wants to live on the edge!?!

Seriously, great project. Been following it from the start.

9. Kaboom22

Kaboom22 Minimodder

A really nice project.

I will be really interested to see what cooling performance you get from the radiator, as it will be a good indicator for my project.

Really nice clean work, its good to see people still doing stuff from scratch.

10. som3az

som3az What's a Dremel?

Great Work

Man U did a great Job and i can't wait to see the final result and the final temprature of the pc

I had an idea like that but i couldn't know where to do such parts and i was thinking of a cooling system with fereon but i know it's impossible to find such a small compressor and a rechargeable fereon tank

So i will try to follow what u did with some modification and will let u know what it came up with but please post ur pics n results to see where did u go with this awsome project

Intel PIV 3.2 2M
    1 Gb Of DDr2
    PS: 500 Wt
    H.D.D: WD 200 Gb WD S.A.T.A
    Nvidia 7600 GT 256 Mb
    Mb: Asus With AGp 8X + Pci E Slot

11. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

firstly 2 Claas M : I've tryed all positions in hope that pump will get water and start pumping it around but it was quite impossible, that's why this T divider was necessary.

2 frodo : ok ok, I've realised after some testing tubes get warm and are pretty easy to move on connectors. It's not problem for those that are going straight from connector but for those that are bending at beginning. So to avoid unnecessary risk I've put those plastic wraps around all connectors, including inside PSU ... happy now? ;)

Thx everyone for support, it was very refreshing after long time working on some part to see that someones actually likes it ;)

I'll upload some pictures of finished assembly and some results and temps later today. seeya soon ;)

12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

yeah, im alot happier

i appreciate people LIVING on the edge, but i dont like the thought of turpija himself or his rig dying... now that i dont appreciate... and will never.

i was just doing it so you dont later on lose ya rig due to one of the joins coming lose and pissing water

your project is very inspiring! and i hope it performs very well.

13. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

omg thatäs is so amazing

14. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

BladeRunner, the maker of the original homemade (afaik) zero fan pc, you can see it here

c.u.later

Last edited: 28 May 2006
  15. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

neato, that is the best link ever to a generic link website!

16. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

That is amazing, I've been reading your log for a month of so, just love it, could do with more pics though...

17. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

sorry, link now fixed :duh:

18. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

Here is finally finished !

Took some pictures of parts that will hardly be seen throught that greenish reservoir ;)
    Got case outside, cause it's better lighting as this camera is not too good inside ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And few fancy ones with sunlight hitting through res ... shiny ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after some time running the machine I've open the side because there was some issues with front panel USB connector. Then I've realize that tubes are pretty soften after all water was heated to working temperature, and especially those ones that are bending right after connector seams very loose. So after few advices to use plastic ties to secure the tubes and after realising that it's not that bad idea after all ;) i started with PSU. It was alot of hustle to get it out and open without ejecting water out ...

[​IMG]

... and other connectors was pretty hard to get especially with that much tubing inside, anyway it's all done and working.

19. turpija

turpija What's a Dremel?

But here is some pictures at dark. that scanner neon light is not that strong afterall but I'll leave it inside anyway ;)

[​IMG]

and here is some closeups with different settings on camera ...

[​IMG]

... this one's looks quite spooky, like from some horror movie ;)

[​IMG]

.. and few more ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a conclusion of some time testing it...
    Totally dissapointment was that I couldn't overclock CPU almost not even a little even with boosting voltage :(
    With air cooling I was getting 2,2GHz at 1,85V stable without problems, and now absolute maximum I could get was 2,4GHz that holds just a few clicks in windows before it crashes, even if I use 2,1V, and set fans to max speed :((
    So highest frequency stable was 2,31GHz which is quite pathetic. I tryed different combinations, raising FSB, raising multipler, adding more voltage to VDD, and sadly but it seams that this CPU is just bad one :(
    I could get a little bit better timings on RAM. And only thing that was not that hopeless, and actually getting me some FPS increase was raising clock at GPU (Sapphire 9600Pro), core at 40% increase, and memory at barely noticable 10% (and it seams that water on ram would be a good idea, as those passive blocks get quite hot after some 3dmarking).

But it's not all that dark, machine runs at ALOT smaller temperatures that previously air cooled. For example, CPU at 2,2GHz after some intense working could hit 75C which lead to immidiate restart of system, and now absolute maximum is little higher than 50C.
    And silence is whole another story, I run fans at minimum rpm, which are pretty noiseless, and pump makes just a tiny vibration that was dampened with that foam around it. The loudest thing is by far the DVD-R, but I don't use it all the time, beside that whole system is super quiet :clap:

And finally here's some screenshots of actual temperatures with current settings - CPU at 2,2GHz on 1,85V, and fans on silent mode ;)
    this is idle after system and water warms up ...

[​IMG]

and this is after hamering it with SuperPi for around an hour, it doesn't get higher than this, maybe a one degree on hdd or something, but this is the top...

[​IMG]

Afterall it's been quite an amusing project but it's done now and all I can say that I gathered alot of experience and maybe in future I'll try to make another one - even better ;)

and Thanks all of you for supporting me !
    Seeya in some another project :thumb:

20. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Wow, I'm well impressed with the end :D

Modding is like cakes, you can't beat home made :hehe: