1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: the "Secret of the Ooze" (Finished!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gvblake22, 7 Mar 2006.

1. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Hypocrite ;p

Looking good! I want to do a similar setup myself

2. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

AAAhhhh, thanks :p :thumb:

Thank you :D

3. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Ok, I know it's been a L O N G time since I've had a real update for you all, so I decided to try and pick this project back up this weekend! :clap:
    But first, I need a little input...

Below are several preliminary models of what the outside of the final case might look like. I think I want to make some kind of decorative (yet functional) frame around behind the front and back panels of the case. The bottom edge of the front and rear frames will act as the case feet regardless of which design I go with. I would like to know what you guys (and gals) think about this idea and which design you like better (or no frame at all):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jul 2006
  4. bAdI

bAdI What's a Dremel?

I'd go "two bends" and join them like that sexy G5 look.
    [​IMG]
    That way the bends are useful as legs and handles to carry it around.

My second option would be "no bends" and maybe with only one bend at the bottom.

And I would definatly avoid the "four bends"

Great to see you modding again. :thumb:

5. Hopakee

Hopakee What's a Dremel?

6. Germonicus

Germonicus What's a Dremel?

I like the concept so far,even though I'm not a fan of small cases :)

IMHO the four bends look good and would look better without the slots at each corner.Is there any way you could make the front panel flat and bend a strip of the plexi into a square that you could fit onto the back/edge of the panel? If it's possible, you'd be able to make it look more "finished and polished" :)

7. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

I like the two bend design!!
    Good Luck :D

8. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!
    I won't be using this part as a handle, only for decorative purposes at the top/sides and as case feet on the bottom. There is going to be a single handle in the top middle, you can kindof see it in the CADD pictures. THIS is the handle I was thinking of getting, any thoughts on that?

HAHA, yep. That's prettymuch where the idea came from since it will be all neon green inside :cooldude:

I thought about that, but I don't know how I would bend the plexi to all be uniform. And if I wanted to do your idea and bend a seperate box to put around it, I don't think it would look good because of the seam. I don't think I could fill it in very easily. :grr:

9. Germonicus

Germonicus What's a Dremel?

Maybe make a "former" by routing the shape and size you want into a flat bit of ply wood,then cut a strip of plexi to length and fit it into the routed channel in the wooden former.Start at the area you wish to be "bottom of the case" and heat the plexi at the points you want to go around the corners until you get back to your start point.

With luck,because you started and ended on the bottom the seam shouldn't be noticeable once assembled.

Nice theory, but it's you that would have to do it :D

10. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

haha. It sounds like it would end up being more trouble than it is worth to do it that way. I think I like the looks/functionality of the two bend design the best anyway :)

11. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

The lazy way of adding bends is to just join two flat pieces using solvent (IPS Weld-On #3 or #4). And then for extra strength add small cross-members to the joint.
    Interesting project so far.

12. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yeah, but I wouldn't like the way the seam would look by doing that. I kindof want the smooth, rounded, uniform look.

Either way, I hope to get some drive mounting pieces started tomorrow, so more updates this weekend hopefully! :clap:

13. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

WOO HOO! Some real updates for once!!! :clap:

I started work on getting the drive rails cut out. First step was to get them all traced out onto the acrylic:
    [​IMG]
    One piece is missing (not drawn on there), but I just drew it on afterwards.

Next up was to get settled into my work area:
    [​IMG]
    Prettymuch a modder's paradise!!

And you always make sure you have the right tool for the job. In this case, I was using the router tool bit for the Dremel I got for my birthday...
    [​IMG]

After some practicing on a scrap piece of plexi, I figured out how to effectively use the router bit for the dremel and managed to get all the pieces cut out:
    [​IMG]

Pretty rough eh? Well, with the help of my *******s:
    [​IMG]
    and the clamps:
    [​IMG]
    I was ready to go!

Finally, after much filing and sanding, we have the finished product!!!
    [​IMG]

The two identical pieces hold the optical drives together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While the other longer piece holds the HDD's upright:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they aren't the most perfect cuts in the world, but this was my first time ever using the router tool and trying to cut such pieces. Besides, they will be installed inside the case behind the very dark gray side panels and hidden behind other drives and what not, so the slightly less than perfect cuts will not be noticeable at all :p

14. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Nice green rectangles, the curved edges on the outside and the inside rectange are a nice touch,they look great and fit together well... nice mod, I like the computer model with no bends the most IMHO...

15. AmmoCell

AmmoCell What's a Dremel?

Looks good! I also think the "no bends" idea looks best; although I am a little put off by the seemingly random chunks of green plexi protuding from the faces...I'd be interested to see how they'd look if they were the same dimensions as the "box" itself (with no overlap)...

Regardless, I like the way it's coming together! Keep it up!

16. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Thanks.
    The seemingly "random chunks of green plexi" are actually parts of the case. The two long ovals in the front are going to be the stealthed drive tray covers and the little circles below them are the buttons. The round thing on top is a decorative circle underneath a single 5" handle.

The more I think about it, the more I like the no bends idea too. I guess it will just have to be a suprise! :D

17. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Well, managed to get a little more work done today; this time on the motherboard tray. Here we see it drilled and ready to be tapped:
    [​IMG]
    Being tapped for the standoffs:
    [​IMG]
    It was slow going and I had to back it out half way through each hole so it wouldn't bind up.

but finally, I got them all tapped, and it fits!:
    [​IMG]

Next up was to make a spot for the expansion cards to poke down into:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you Mr. Coping Saw :)

Of course, the cuts still need to be finished up... But that's all for today, until next time :dremel:

18. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

is this like, dead or something?

19. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

It was updated last month...
    Maybe he has a life other than computer modding over the summer?
    Or perhaps its dead, although being little over a month since the last update, i would assume that this fellow is enjoying a vacation or something...

20. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately, I do have a life outside of computers and modding :sigh:

But the good news is that I finally landed a full time job so I will actually have some money now to start buying the parts I need to finish this thing up. I just got the handle last weekend and I will be sanding it down and painting it gloss black A.S.A.P.
    I stated in my first post that this is going to be a long, slow going project, but I have no intentions of abandoning it! :dremel: