1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Launch of Blu-ray delayed by Sony hogging the diodes?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 10 Jul 2006.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is kind of lame, just make other companies produce the laser diodes, problem solved.

as for the video capability of the PS3, if it is in the same level PS2 was to other DVD players then i will pass.

as for the range of the controler..."Devices operating with Bluetooth generally have a range of 30 feet"

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/index.html

30 feet = 9.14400 meters.....nice.....no cord is this big.

the PS3 has some probability of being a falilure. look at the sega dreamcast, it is still the console to beat, it was the most evolved console at the time, it was bether than PS2, it had more features, but did not have a DVD player, this was what killed it, that and launching to soon and being white.

for most console comparisons the dreamcast is the best console ever. (at the time i read it).

Killer8 please stop being a sony fan boy, the PS3 is a GREAT machine, has enough power to be ammong the 100 super computers of the world and it will be for some years, but even the best machines tend to fail, imagine that the first batches of PS3 started to burn because of overheating? then the second would start burning HD TV sets like the sky box does? can you say sue city central?

when people say this and that about a company dont consider it bashing, they are democraticly expressing what they feel about a company like sony.

sony will burn in corporate hell when they die. that is for sure. they have realy cool stuff but....they do stuff in a realy bad way. ow and linux....i think its cheaper to use linux than it is to create your own OS dont you think?

2. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

Sony has a bad record when it comes to media formats! I hit Google trying to remember all the different proprietary formats sony has developed and WOW!

Sony Dynamic Digital Sound (Proprietary) vs Dolby Digital 5.1 standard.
    Multi-Media Compact Disc (Proprietary)vs Toshiba's Super Density disc -- Both were merged into DVD to avoid a Format war!!!
    Music Clip (Proprietary)--Sony's first digital player.
    HiFD vs Iomega's Zip drive (Proprietary)
    Memory Stick (Proprietary) vs SD and Flash memory.
    Super Audio CD --an optical disc format with higher fidelity than the CD.
    PSP (Proprietary) Uses Universal Media Disc (UMD) media
    Digital-8(Proprietary) vs DV
    BETAMAX vs VHS
    A-TRAC vs MP3

Okay I'm sick of listing them all sony has had some astounding success but they have also had some flops. An interesting note is sony's tech was usually superior but they either: A. Priced them selfs out of the market. or B. Put a strangle hold on the new tech and wouldn't let other company's play!!! Another observation is that MOST of sony innovation came during the 80's.

IMO Blue ray was dead before it ever started. I do however like what M$ did with the 360. By let me choose if I want my $400 GAME CONSOLE to play next gen HD-DVD's! However I don't see any reason the ps3 couldn't play hd-dvd's or the 360 Blu-ray via a usb drive. Bottom line the format that play nice with the most Hardware manufactures and Movie studio's WINS... Otherwise they might both go the way of the laser disc!

Oh yeah as for the whole 360 vs PS3 just wait till nov... Nintendo is taking the whole industry to school just like they did 20 years ago! GTA, HALO, FF, PGR, GT... NOTHING compared to Mario Brothers baby!

Last edited: 11 Jul 2006
  3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

...and the fact that (the last time I heard (from you guys)) they don't even have the final schematics done yet.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Diodes?
    Are you sure? Diodes are a very abundant and cheap electrical component to get.

5. Killer8

Killer8 What's a Dremel?

I'm not a sony fanboy, but some arguments are too transparent and shaky to just let slide, even if it's en vogue to engage in them.

I've no problem with that all, but at least base argument in fact, that's all I ask. I've agreed that Sony should be called on a number of issues, but equally I see nothing but hot air in others. A little reason and level-headedness is all I'm suggesting.

The "good" thing about including linux is that it opens the platform to homebrew. This isn't the core PS3 OS we're talking about, but a PS2 Linux-style distro that will allow for programming. Which, you know, is nice.

(And yes, I can sit here and code on Linux on my PC to my heart's content, but I'd like to have a crack at Cell ;)).

The diodes for HD disc players aren't abundant or cheap. Unfortunately only two companies are supplying them, for as yet unspecified reasons. The technology may be a secret for these companies, I don't know.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2006
  6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

These are laser diodes, attuned to the particular frequency of light that Blu-Ray uses.

And I have to agree with Killer8. Why should Sony sacrifice deliverable units on their console (which has already been bashed to hell) in order to lower the prices of competing units? If they did, no doubt that the sensationalist press would blast them for not producing enough - I can imagine The Inquirer now: "Crucial components missing from PS3"

:eyebrow:

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I know it's off topic, but where did you hear that?

There a 3 classes of bluetooth device and their ranges are as follows:
    class 1 100m / 300ft
    class 2 10m / 30ft
    class 3 1m / 3ft

Of course this all depends on the number of walls and other obstacles inbetween the device but with a games console this shouldn't have any affect as you need to be right infront of the TV to see it anyway! :)

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

eek please give me a class 1 controler :p

i bet with you that they will do what they are doing to their PSP. lock the homebrew, in the start homebrew will work, as will copied games and stuff like that, but with each firmware update they will lock things out so you cant use them, you will only be able to code on a cell for a little whille and then K.O. so enjoy the first weeks were you are free to code. or dont update your firmware so you cant play new stuff.

and they will do this, if they instaled stuff on your PC that will screw it up because you want to hear a music cd they will do this or even worse, they can even put their n year old patent into use if they wanted.

its like the USA and their nukes, they have them, they wont use them unless they are cornered and if the MO of sony is similar to other dumb corporations they will use it.

they are not afraid to screw a format up, again, they already have done it various times before. with vastly superior formats at the time. look at the UMA, universal media disks, universal ? since when?

9. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I think the problem of these parts is that nobody can, or is willing to cheaply produce them. I certainly wouldn't ramp up production for a specified part to an unadopted standard (mass consumer adoption).

But I don't really care if Sony wants to hoard their diodes. This whole standard thing is silly - both HDDVD and Bluray. This whole issue isn't even about which standard is better anymore, it's just plain pride. Sony would never step down from their own standard until they finally have to (Betamax anyone?)

Companies should work together on this. I just know that some consumers are going to be mighty pissed when their new $20000 1080i HDTV has to downstep it's resolution to play the $20 DVD they just bought.

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

After all this, I still hope BR manages to out do HD-DVD, however with devices like this being in development it wouldn't surprise me if we get another DVD-R/DVD+R situation!

lol, imagine the size of the TV you would need to actually see it cleaely enough to play on at 100m!! :lol: :D

Class 2 has to be the way forward though for this kind of use. The power drain of using class1 would far outweigh the benefit of being able to be >10m away!

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Obviously Sony has been attacked in their weak point for massive damage.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'll have to find that pic I snapped of people playing Halo on a 100' projection :)

Anyways, I honestly figure both formats are pretty much screwed, but HD-DVD has a better shot. Not only are both hugely overpriced, new movies quite frankly suck, so even if there are a lot of titles available, most of them are no good. Plus they, of course, went and changed the case design again :rolleyes:

Blu-ray has priced itself out of the market at this point, just like most every other format that's failed. Think of it - when has Sony been behind a competing format and won? VHS vs Beta, MP3 vs ATRAC, Memory Stick vs about sixty others, etc, etc. They prevent other companies from producing their products - thus lowering price and almost ensuring success, and get screwed. The problem for them this time around is that the games market is really the only thing that they haven't destroyed yet.

I work at a video store... whenever someone has problems with a disc (that isn't scratched/soiled to hell), I ask what brand player they have. I don't think I *haven't* heard Sony yet. In fact more often than not, it's a Sony Pictures movie in a Sony Electronics player that's acting up. I've got a cheapo Panasonic player that's never had an issue, whereas I think every product of Sony's I've ever used has had some sort of problem, be it a niggle or a complete failure.

13. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

Due to poor sales inspired by their own non-existant advertising campaign, Sony announced that they would no longer be actively marketing the MiniDisc format in Australia (leading to some convincing rumours for the rest of the world, including Japan which had been its best market), which allowed me to buy a top-of-the-line portable Hi-MD unit for less than 1/3 of the RRP, and with some very nice freebies thrown in.

And the way things are going, it looks like Sony is set to give me the same sort of discount on the PS3, so yay! Then again, my Hi-MD's usefulness doesn't rely on third-party content, so maybe not so yay.

Nezuji :)

14. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

My question, then, is: what is harder to produce, a Blu-Ray tuned Diode, or a Cell processor? Such diode's have been produced since at least Laser Disk (ie: 20 years ago), and I can't imagine all that much hard work being involved in simply adapting to a new wavelength (ie: CD and DVD's also use specifically tuned lasers). And, Blu-Ray was announced how long ago? Like 4-5 years as far as I can remember, and has actually been available in Japan for 2 years or so (as I understand it, minus some of the "features" [writability, DRM] we'll be getting). There has been plenty of time to figure out the mass production of a blue-wavelength diode.

On the other hand, the Cell processor is fairly fast (3.2GHz ?) and has 8 cores, which really is quite a feat (even if it has the flaws that have been rumored). And that thing's gotta run cool enough so that the fans inside the PS3 don't sound like a jet living under your TV, and the thing can survive having the console closed inside a multimedia cabinet by the users who don't know better (cough, early Xbox360, cough).

The Cell truly is new technology, and I can't imagine yields on the Cell being anywhere near the production rate of the diodes. So then, if Sony is hoarding millions of diodes, they are either
    a) producing a similar number of Cell processors successfully
    or b) jerks.

or maybe:
    c) Sony's not hoarding the diodes at all, but this is just a story somebody heard.

15. to_fast1

to_fast1 What's a Dremel?

Does the question mark on the news title mean anything?

Is this just a rumour?

16. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

You know what, I stopped caring.

I'll wait 2-3 years, then go to the store and see Shshiba, Fuctronics and other company HDTV and Bluray players for around ~150 bucks or even cheaper. I will then buy a 50 disc pack for $30 Blueray or a $20 for HDVD. Go home and backup my photos folder. I now need about 7 DVD's to do that, I will need about 7 HDVD's to do the same thing in 2009. I will not be able to backup my HDD since it will be F*** huge.

And nothing esential will change.

As a regular consumer I do not care for now.

Tags: Add Tags