1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Annoying mis-pronunciations

Discussion in 'General' started by SiMonTiST, 13 May 2003.

1. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

How about potable as in water that is drinkable.

I say potable = pot-able
    others say potable = pō-table

2. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

Don't mix up between mispronunciations and different accents ;)

If you want perfect standardised pronunciations, look it up in a dictionary with phonetics. But I doubt people will follow standards anymore, except for BBC reporters xD.

e.g. Tounge /t^ng/, sort of between /ah/ and /er/, like in "cup".

Well, I find this thread amusing, since many native speakers don't really care when distorting the words:

eg. water = /wo-er/ instead of /wo-ter/
    better = /beh-er/ instead of /bet-ter/
    interested = /in-tres-eid/ instead of /in-tres-tid/

Lol, how lazy is that to skip pronouncing something as small as a consonant "t" in between?

3. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Yeah cos most BBc reporters are now wels/scottish/whatever. So now they all have accents.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They really aren't. The majority of them are English, they just don't speak with a heavy accent from any part of England(thank god).

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

How not to pronounce 'solder'. And this is ****ing NASA, who should get things right. :nono:

I mean, did Jim Kirk boddy go, do you get odder every year, is it codder in winter, do you keep your files in a fodder? What other word in any however *******ised version of English pronounces -old- as -odd- ffs?

I'm almost sure I ranted about this on p.1 of this thread, but they haven't stopped doing it. :sigh:

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Like I said in the other thread: That's the funny thing about language. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, solder comes from the Old French soudure, which comes from the Latin solidare. So, when the word travelled from Latin to Old French, the "l" was dropped. When it travelled from Old French to English, the "l" was added back in. Chalk it up to dialect and the fact that language changes from place to place.

-monkey

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Having consulted Chambers, I feel a pwn coming... :D

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

That solder thing is very annoying, I couldn't stand it even though it was 15 seconds.
    And everyone knows its Solder, no excuse.

9. slappy

slappy What's a Dremel?

Hi,

At the risk of inciting a near riot...........

Sodder is the way we NA's pronounce it.
    If I am correct the European pronounciation might be Sold-er?

Water= watt-er
    better= bet-ur
    interested= in-ter-rested

10. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

11. Gevorest

Gevorest What's a Dremel?

What really gets on my nerves (or, depending on my mood, sends me to a loud laughter :p) is the complete and utter mispronunciation of the Greek alphabet by the Americans (and by extent most of the english speaking world). I'm a native greek-speaker, and I can see that, with the exception of alpha, all other letters are horridly butchered. For example, Χ is χι (as in "he") and by no means chi (k-high) and μ is μι, as in me... Definitely not "mew". The correct pronunciation for the whole alphabet is as follows: (the bold letters are accented)
    Α, α - alpha
    Β, β - Veeh-tah
    Γ, γ - wamma (with a soft w as in "win")
    Δ,δ - Thelta (th as in the)
    Ε, ε - Eps-eeh-lon
    Ζ, ζ - Zeeh-tah
    Η, η - Eeh-tah
    Θ, θ - Theeh-tah (th as in thermal)
    Ι, ι - Yiotah
    Κ, κ - Kapah
    Λ, λ - Lamtha (th as in the)
    Μ, μ - Mi (as in "me")
    Ν, ν - Ni (as "the knights that say Nigh" from Monty Python)
    Ξ, ξ - Ksi (as above)
    Ο, ο - Omeeh-kron
    Π, π - Pi (as above, NOT as in "pie")
    Ρ, ρ - Roh
    Σ, σ - Siwma (with a soft w)
    Τ, τ - Taf
    Υ, υ - I-pseeh-lon
    Φ, φ - Fi (as above)
    Χ, χ - He
    Ψ, ψ - Psi (as above)
    Ω, ω - Oh-mega

The precise pronunciation of the aforementioned "soft w" is very difficult to translate in english.. Some use y instead (as in Yahoo), though that adds an eeh before the vowel...

Also, i don't know if the zoology discussion is closed, but I thought I'd insert my input. It is definitely Zoh-oh-logy, from the greek word "Ζωο" meaning "animal".

12. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

It may be because many people like to learn Ancient Greek (such as New Testament Greek or for studding texts like Homer's etc, is that Classical Greek?), I have been wanting and (gave a poor atempt to learn it), and because it's not spoken any more, and is just an academic Language, it's easier to learn it in the way the best helps people to remember it, as it is only going to be used in reading/writing (with the exception of teaching). I am sure you would be horrified to hear how I would pronounce your Alphabet. Though I will certainly look at the corrections you have made when I try to learn it (again), as it never hurts to get something right from the start.

13. The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian Owls R' Us

radiator....enough said

14. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Mr Mario has it right, when most people other than modern Greeks use the Greek alphabet (or language for that matter) it is the ancient Greek alphabet they use which is not the same as the one used in modern Greek.

Moriquendi