1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project AquaLight - updated [23-2-2007] FINISHED!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 16 Aug 2006.

1. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Looks good, but i would have made the buttons as a cylinder, not rounded on the top.
    I think that would look better to the "squarish" front you've made.
    It didn't look like it took long time to make those buttons, so try and make a sylinder one,
    see how it looks. ;)

Petter

2. ssR

ssR Carbon God

tkdwarrior: i guess you mean opaque plexi, then yes. the idea is to use lots of opaque plexi on the interiors, same goes for the top of the case. only the main window will be transparent.

chase: ye took me only a few mins to do the buttons so like i said earlier ill keep experimenting with different concepts

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Your case is looking really sweet, i especially like the side panel cutouts and the buttons (without the plexi ring). good job

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks greensabbath :) its always nice to hear compliments from a true master

and now for today's update. a small 1 but still...

i cut out the LCD window, drilled some temporary holes for the power and reset buttons and sanded down the bottom of the case as a preparation for the new paint

the LCD window and the button holes (i put a piece of clear plexi in it for now, the actual piece 1 will be a bright blue color)
    [​IMG]

another angle
    [​IMG]

and from the other side
    [​IMG]

the sanded case bottom
    [​IMG]

and thats the LCD screen im gonna use (its at my friends place atm, im gonna get it soon)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Sep 2006
  5. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

nice! how are you painting this case? surely you'll find a finish suitable to the work that's been put in..... how about automotive paint? anything ppg rocks... some candy? :p

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thats the paint im gonna use for the entire case (both the exterior and the interior)
    [​IMG]

RAL 5026, its a slightly different color than on the pic. its kind of a dark blue pearl and it looks really sweet. im gonna spray it with airbrush. the paint is 2 phase, 1st a paint mixed with thinner then a clearcoat. at 1st i thought to go for a mirror finish but this should turn out pretty good too.

and whats ppg? :confused:

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I used a paint color similar to that on my brothers case combined with a creame color and it turned out pretty sweet, especially with the pearl. Those other colors are pretty too though. Keep it up.

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

just a tiny update, my friend sent me a pic of the screen working. he used LCD Smartie
    [​IMG]

9. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Nice lcd, are you just running it from a parallel port or is it serial or usb i didn't see a cable in the pic to indicate?

Also PPG are a big chemical corporation which makes automotive paints as one of its product lines.
    Including some pretty damn high quality pearls, clears, metallic blends etc.

So when are you going to get that lcd mounted?

Cheers
    -Belial

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

its originally meant to be runned with parallel port but my friend will make me a parralel to USB converter cause my mobo doesnt even have parallel port :(

11. Belial669

Belial669 What's a Dremel?

Lol thats the same problem i'm having my new motherboard doesnt have a parallel port and the lcd i made up is parallel port wired.

12. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thats the main problem with those screens nowadays. the parallel port is becoming obsolete, so many high end motherboards are giving up on it. i've seen some people making home built converters, im gonna use a bought converter a friend of mine will order for me. it all depends on the controller of the lcd. if it supports USB ur all good.

13. tkdwarrior

Belial explained it, but a few mates have had cars repainted and ppg's stuff is par excellence. that was pretty much it.

Good to see you've got something cool mapped out..it would suck if you went and painted the case flat black after all that.... :duh:

14. ssR

ssR Carbon God

well the paint supplier we are working with dont have ppg but the paint im getting also looks very good :). oh btw i ordered the paint today :D

15. tkdwarrior

16. ssR

ssR Carbon God

hey guys :). sorry for no updates lately i still havent got the plexi. meanwhile i got some ideas which in my opinion would give a nicer touch to the interiors

just a teaser to give you an idea of whats coming
    [​IMG]

and from the inside
    [​IMG]

and the planned cutouts
    [​IMG]

17. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

I love the text on the side panel and the mod in general so far, this is shaping up to become one hell of a case

good luck

18. Moja

Moja What's a Dremel?

Just read all this, its looking fantastic! Just waiting on that damn plexi :p

Moja

19. tkdwarrior

interesting....

20. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks for the compliments :D

Today's update. i finished what i started yesturday, the upper part and the drives area cover. you already know my work methods from the previous updates, it wasnt any different this time. dremeling out the cut outs then filing it down to perfection. ill skip to the pics

the finished cover slid in place (not secured yet)
    [​IMG]

and some close up shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im not sure if i should polish / chrome the cover or leave it "brushed" as it is now.

what do you think?