Hardware G80: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Nov 2006.

1. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

yes it is the entire machines draw

i think the GTX draws 185 watts or something round there

2. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

well if you look on some other sites, (anandtech and techreport) they do AF testers and well the G80 is shown to be better than ATi's

the G80 by default does angle independant AF, and then improves further on it when you switch to HQ mode.

Ati's R580 does angle dependant by default and you must enable HQ to get angle independant. theres some good in game comparsions as well and the G80 wins everytime

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This left me quite speechless. If only they were cheaper.. 500€ for a GTS? C'mon...
    But it seems to be a real beast when using it @ 1920+ resolutions. A little too much power for me. But hopefully older cards will drop at least 50€ over here. :)

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

:idea: AHA yes I understand it now. They have assumed that if you are having two 8800 GTX's you also have top flight components to go with it and these maybe overclocked drawing more than usual. It is good to see that they are actually thinking in real world terms for this.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tim, not meaning to pick faults, but perhaps the power chart should say something in or near it about it being total system power not the cards required power? I can't find anything that indicates so, and since half the tech world is(and should) be reading your review, it's probably a good idea that the 800W PSU myths aren't perpetuated.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Spec: first paragraph on the Power page:

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Looks pretty clear to me - it says "NVIDIA tells us that the TDP of the card is around the 185W mark", so how could the card possibly be drawing 315W? It also says "we tested the total system power consumption at the wall using a simple power meter."

Still, I guess it could be made even more explicit for those who look at the pretty pictures without reading the text :D

EDIT: Dammit Doug you beat me to the punch.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Doheth :( - stupid me, sorry dudes.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Guess what I'm playing with :naughty:

[​IMG]

10. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

omg how many cards are in the background. dont you send them back?

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Bas****!

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

can I come for a look around some time? I would have appied to that writer request you did but....my graphics knowledge is limited, plus i'm a system testing consultant lol it pays well, but still, wouldn't mind seeing the offices :p

13. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

eh, i'm not going to be rushing out to buy one. seems a bit middling really and what is with the prices...

14. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

I'm looking for some USA shop that ships to Europe at reasonable prices...With the current $ to € rating, you can get a GTS for 388€ + shipping :jawdrop:

There are several eBay shops that ship here for 50$ or so, wich still makes it cheaper than getting one here, but when buying there I'm allways worried about RMAs and guarranty (by law, I get 2 years on any hardware if I buy it here). So far, I've been lucky, but still it's a risk.

A pitty newegg doesn't ship over the pond...

Does anybody in USA know of sites that ship to Europe at reasonable prices?

15. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

*Slips Tim Cheque* Oh, maybe i could take that X1950 off your hands, or maybe any of the 'unwanted' ones on the shelf :p

16. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Now that's not fair is it?!?! Although would like to hear some figures for that bad boy/girl/person/GPU setup.

17. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

ughhh Give me!

Edit -

Try putting it in a case with 2 CD drives in, see if it errm, fits

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:jawdrop: It looks like you have quite a few video cards not in use - surely you wouldn't miss one or two? :naughty:

19. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

:jawdrop: Now that is sexy! When will we see the benchmarks?

20. Kevin_G

Kevin_G What's a Dremel?

Great review Tim S, the best one I've seen about the Geforce 8800GTX so far.

Seeing that picture above in the forum means that SLI benchmarks are on the way which is something lacking in most Geforce 8800GTX reviews around the web. I notice that while there are two SLI connectors on the board, you're only using one to bridge two cards together. What happens when two SLI bridge connectors used? Any change in performance?

Any chance of doing some power tests without any video cards at idle and full CPU load? That'd get a much clearer estimate of how much power just the video card consumes by being able to subtract the test platform figures from those with the video cards.

Tags: Add Tags