1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. iwekani

iwekani What's a Dremel?

Very nice article indeed. Has anyone tried PCLinuxOS Business Edition Server Basic? Iy seems to me that it will be easier to use it as a base!!! Just my opinion. If the members could take a look at it and give their opinion

2. Hu?

Hu? What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, first day working on Linux, like it so far. But Am having trouble with the VNC. More specifically the password part. I did what the article said (i think) and I am getting an error saying it cant find it.

Hu?

Code:
    root@Server:/etc/samba# vncpasswd ~/.vnc/passwd
    The program 'vncpasswd' can be found in the following packages:
     * vnc-common
     * vnc4-common
    Try: apt-get install <selected package>
    bash: vncpasswd: command not found
    :wallbash:

What do I do now?

3. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I installed proftpd on my laptop but for some reason there are just no GUI installed anywhere... 0.o

I don't quite get this article. It shows how to install apps but now how to use them or even configure them. Or am I that bad ? (or lazy)

4. Hu?

Hu? What's a Dremel?

I got it... Used

Code:
    x11vnc -storepasswd
    instead of
    Code:
    vncpasswd ~/.vnc/passwd
    :cooldude:

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Did you install x11VNC like glider said, maybe it didn’t add the pre-requiresits

Anyway, if it works :)

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

ProFTPd is a sever (note the d at the end, like in daemon), so why would you even want a GUI?

The configuration is done through the file /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf, which I provided (and some others posted in this thread), so I think it's configured. To use an ftp server, you can just browse (from Windows) to ftp://<ip> or use a graphical client like SmartFTP.

7. deronius

deronius What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the Linux tips Glider.

Question: I'm having trouble configuring the passwords for the Samba users. I enter smbpasswd -a deronius (or other user in the household) and it prompts me for the password. I enter it and then again but each time, it fails and says unable to update the account.

Do I need to add the users to the server in general such as usseradd deronius -m -G users before I can set the password for samba?

If that's not the answer, if anyone has any other trouble shooting tips for this, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance,
    deronius

8. deronius

deronius What's a Dremel?

EDIT: My apologies, I see at the top of page 14 Glider indicates he did add them as users to the server first. Makes sense now but I was mired in setup and not thinking clearly. Can't wait to get home and try it...god I'm a nerd.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yes, you need to add them to the system too. And once you added the user to the samba password backend, you can alter the password (for samba) by just issuing
    Code:
    smbpasswd <user>

10. gillett

gillett What's a Dremel?

nice

nice guide!!!

11. completemadness

You will probably need to sudo it - unless your in a root shell (using sudo su -)

12. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Does anyne know how to connect to Samba (from Windows XP) upon startup? Because if I want to conect I have to do it manually through Windows Explorer...

13. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

if you map it as a drive, there a tick box to reconnect at logon, (My Computer > Tools > Map network drive)

14. completemadness

You have to save the password for the network

I don't think XP home edition allows you to save it (but I'm not 100%) and XP MCE definetly doesn't

15. remeron

remeron What's a Dremel?

I managed to install mine (after 3 days!!! of very little sleep....yes...i come from vista..) and very happy with my progress. but i've hit a road block. i managed to install everything find up until the torrentflux. I got phpmyadmin and mysql to work fine, set up root passwd fine, set up torrentflux fine. then when i try to access the tf director (//localhost/tf) i get this error:

Database error: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I've already change the config.php file db_pass to the root password. but it's still the same. i can access the phpmyadmin page fine and dandy. I reckon the message means that i either have the password wrong (which i don't cause i can access the phpmyadmin with root password just fine) or i did not enable password somewhere for the torrentflux database.

please help!!

16. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Hey Glider, I'm having a few troubles again. It sometimes happens that I can't edit (move, delete, etc) the files on my tf root dir.
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 777 <path>
    again solves it, but it doesn't seem normal.. What can I do to make the command permanent?

17. Rambiezel

Rambiezel What's a Dremel?

Hey vlyblfreak. How did you fix the error " Fatal: <Directory>: missing arguments on line 98 of '/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf' "?

18. rcbrush99

rcbrush99 What's a Dremel?

PHPMyAdmin Folder Missing

Glider,

Sweet guide. This level of documentation is what I needed to get going with Linux more than just dropping a distro on an old box for giggles and getting frustrated. Getting my own server up is a big step towards real value that makes me want to explore even more. Great job!!!

Now my problem, it is relatively minor but I would like to fix it as does JSHEFF I suppose.

Has anyone else experienced this missing PHPMyAdmin folder problem? Any luck determining a fix? I wonder if this arises from using Xubuntu 7.10?

rcbrush99

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Browse throug the thread, there are other configs that solve this problem in the thread.

Userrights is something that can be frustrating at first. A quick an nasty hack is to make a cronjob that sets all the rights every 5 minutes or something ;)

Try reinstalling PHPMyAdmin through synaptic. That might fix it.

20. Rambiezel

Rambiezel What's a Dremel?

Hey Glider,

Thanks for the help on my previous problem. I am also experiencing the missing PHPMyAdmin folder problem. I tried reinstalling PHPMyAdmin through synaptic and that did not work. Any other suggestions? Also, like others have said...sweet guide!

Tags: Add Tags