1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Build your own server

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2007.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It seems like a group rights problem...

You can try:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 660 <path>
    And the 'tab thing' is called bash completion, and should be enabled by default (try double tabbing)

2. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

I tried it, but now I can't access the dir as my user.. Remember that I'm trying to access this from my Windows XP comp, so when I access /home on Samba from there, I have to type my username and password. Everything works all right, I have RW access to everything but the dir I did what you said on on my server. Now I don't have access to the dir from here, so how do I undo it?
    Also, on my server it's easy to become root (sudo su and type my own password), but through Samba on my XP root is a user, but it requires a password I have no idea what can be. I tried my own, like on my server, but it didn't work..

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Don't log onto samba as root, it changes nothing...

If userrights aren't that much of an issue,
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 777 <path>
    will fix it all, but create a very insecure system ;)

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

if there is only one command or directory that can be completed a tab will automagically do it, but if there is more then one pressing tab twice will list all possible outcomes

5. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies. :)
    A very insecure system, eh? That doesn't mean that someone could access it from the internet, only locally, easier, right?

6. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Yes (assuming they dont hack through your router, gain control of one of your PC's, or you open the samba ports to the internet)

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Chmod 777 creates files that are fully accessable to all (local) users... That's insecure, but not insecure to the outside ;)

8. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

That's what I thought :) Great!

9. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Do you use Torrentflux - b4rt, Glider? I took a look at it and tried to install, but realized I would never be able to complete an installation without dozens of forum posts, as I got stuck at once. If so, do you recommend it? It has a lot of more features, including better queue managment and stuff, which would serve to be useful, at least for me. :)

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, I don't torrent often (really, I only download distro's and the likes through it). When I do torrent, I use µTorrent, qTorrent or Azureus. I did some research towards torrentflux before writing the article, along with some chatting with friends of mine who use torrentflux all the time. Torrentflux - b4rt seems an improved version of Torrentflux (alltough I didn't take an in depth look), so it should be ok :)

If the install is like the one of Torrentflux (probable), then you shouldn't be worried. It's a matter of unpacking the archive, creating the database, setting the password in a config, and copying it your www folder.

11. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

personally i went with azureus because it has global upload limits and stuff

however, setting it up without a gui is more difficult, and running it without a gui is also difficult
    Also, because azureus is Java based, its an utter resource hog

12. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

I see.
    Are there any other alternatives to web-based torrenting like TorrentFlux? It seems a bit peculiar to me that other big torrent clients haven't made similar services...

13. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Azureus has a webUI plugin available.

14. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Great. I love Azureus. I'll look into it.

15. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same problem. I've tried manually installing it through the CLI with "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install samba", but it says:

Package samba is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
    smbclient samba-common
    E: Package samba has no installation candidate

I'm a complete and utter linux noob, but I reckon with a bit of an initial push I'd be able to work my way through. In the course of the guide there's a few packages that need installing and I'd rather try and work out for myself how to get around any problems than annoy anyone here with something so trivial that must seem like telling a Windows noob what the Start button is for.

16. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

Ok, I've already solved my own problem. I hadn't set the repositories (Settings -> Repositories) to download content from the internet. Hope that helps, _SYC_ . You know, I'm actually really enjoying this linux stuff, I thought it'd scare the crap out of me, but I'm finding it surprisingly easy to pick up. Thanks a lot, Glider!

Edit: Ach! I've been following along with the guide, and I've come across the Putty connecting while UltraVNC does not problem. I thought I'd deal with that later as I'm not currently planning on running it headless until I get it set up entirely. Anyhow, the next step is yet another stumbling block. I've installed MySQL and PHPMyAdmin, with all the dependencies, but when I browse to http://localhost/ only the Apache folder is there. There is no PHPMyAdmin folder. I'm going to try un and re-installing both. Maybe I've gone wrong there. Still need a fix for the VNC though, I tried replaced the tilde with home/user but the problem still persists

Edit 2: The problem is still there. I've completely removed anything PHP and MySQL related and reinstalled them, but still no joy in getting a PHPMyAdmin folder to appear in my localhost dir. The Apache2 folder is there, and "It works", but PHP apparently does not. Can anyone help?

Last edited: 17 Nov 2007
  17. kelster5150

kelster5150 What's a Dremel?

OK, Great Article!!!! I have tried and tried to get my VNC connection going and have failed miserably! I am new to linux so I am sure it is something I am missing... I have read throught all 15 pages and tried several of the things listed in previous post but, no luck. Could you please help. I could log in when I was logged in on the server but when I close my connection I can't log in. It tells me you need loopback connections so I enabled it and I can't seem to find the correct useraname and passwd. Please let me know what you need to see and I will do my best to follow. Thanks!

18. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

Well, I just installed ZoneAlarm (the free version) on my Windows XP, and now I can't connect with /home like I would through Samba. Is there some program or something that needs to be given access? I've never liked ZoneAlarm, but in Windows it's obviously neccessary. Help would be much appreciated!

19. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

EDIT: I've already added the server's IP address in Firewall -> Zones. No difference.

20. spaggy

spaggy What's a Dremel?

EDIT: I'm terribly sorry about the triple post. I forgot to click apply. Now it works perfectly. So to sum up:
    If you're using ZoneAlarm (free version) and can't connect to your server though Samba, in the main window just click Firewall -> Zones -> Add (and enter the IP address of the server with a description) -> OK -> Apply.

Tags: Add Tags