1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Watercooling Fluid Shootout

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Feb 2008.

1. jmke

jmke What's a Dremel?

2. seanap

seanap What's a Dremel?

From the conclusions page...

Great article, will definitely use this as a reference in the future!

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Any chance of Getting feser VSC amongst there? its even better than standard feser but you cant get it in UV :(

4. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

distilled water isnt conductive....

the trace elements in faucet water is what makes it conductive.

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

That's an unfortunate and grossly incorrect assumption. The problem is, it's founded in fact.

Distilled water UNTO ITSELF is not really very conductive at all - you are correct. However, contact with ANYTHING and it begins picking up up ions. Air, dust, motherboard...it becomes instantly conductive. Each of these NCFs are treated to prevent metal ions and other conductive methods from being reactive once their ions are brought into the fluids.

I assure you, and you may test it if you'd like. Pour some pure distilled water on your hardware - it'll fry in very short order.

6. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

As a preface, I've been needing a comparison like this for a long time, and you guys wrote an excellent article. Plus, kudos to everyone who didn't say anything like this before.

Since nobody else did it, I guess I'll be the first. :naughty: :hehe: When I read the title, I read it as "Fluid Shootout" and I almost spat water all over my keyboard (ironic, I guess).
    But yeah, definitely a really helpful article. I'm definitely surprised that FluidXP did so badly (well, compared to the rest), but the fact that the Feser did so phenomenally gives me great confidence in planning to use it in my first water-cooled adventure (well, serious watercooling, anyhow, my first try lasted a week and was not at all successful). Thanks guys, you wrote a brilliant article and the title made me laugh hysterically for a minute or so. I guess I'm still entirely immature inside. :sigh:

7. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I would have liked to see long term results with the fluids; in particular fading characteristics and if the dyes/additives will separate out and stain the tubing.

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

In RE the metal buildup, does anyone filter their fluid? Seems like a good idea.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Wow fesser is fast to add the bit-tech award to their website. Are they lurking the worldwideweb for previews.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I lol'd.

Feser one - Almost as good as distilled water!

Yeah I know there are also other aspects involved and not just the load temperatures, but I just found the award of excellence a bit funny :)

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well dont know about your wc setup, but i have to refill mine 2 wc pc's once or twice a year because the dye vaporizes. And no, i dont have leakes. So to answer the question. It will last till you have to refill

12. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Been using Feser One for a while now, it's great stuff.

I use the UV Green and UV blue coolants in my two loops. The only thing I noticed was that my UV Blue coolant was barely reactive at all (particualrly when compared to the UV Green).

How well did your UV Blue Feser One react to UV light? Anyone else had experience with the UV blue stuff?

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That and we let companies know how well they do in reviews - not just to alert them to awards but to give feedback on how they can make better products and the problems (if any) we had.

14. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Id say the Blue UV Feser one works well with UV light :thumb:

UV off
    [​IMG]
    UV on :D (pic taken during leak testing)

I can also confirm that this stuff wont fry your mobo when it leaks, or more to the point when accidently spill some. :duh:

15. WhiskeyAlpha

Cheers Delphium.

Though to be honest I think it looks much like mine. The main UV effect is created by the UV Green coils you're using. Judging by those pics the UV Blue looks nowhere near as "vibrant". Maybe it's just the contrast that's fooling me but my UV Green Feser looks much brighter under UV light than my UV Blue stuff. To be honest those pics look about the same as mine.

16. WhiskeyAlpha

Ah, look here,

So it's not my imagination after all :D. Looks like the UV Green is particularly reactive, particualrly obvious when placed next to the blue.

When I used to use Zerex and UV dyes (back in the good old days :)) it was far more vibrant than the Feser One UV Blue.

Looks like I might be going UV Green in both loops.

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hmmm intersting the green is much brighter/vibrant :)
    Know what ill be going with next time =]

18. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

or you could add some of the more vibrant dye. no reason it shouldn't work as I see no chemistry that could go horribly wrong.

19. WhiskeyAlpha

Yeah, I did see another comparison somewhere where the blue one did look a bit brighter than the link I posted. Still not a patch on the green stuff though.

I'm not sure about this Bluephoenix. I have no clue when it comes to the chemistry but IIRC, when I used to use distilled water, UV dyes made the coolant more conductive (or was it the corrosion inhibitor?).

Even Feser One comes with stern instructions not to mix colours/dyes as it can jeapordise the "non-conductiveness".

In fact, I bought a bottle of the Feser One UV Blue dye to try and "spice-up" my blue coolant and it made no noticable difference after adding the recommended amount.

20. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

da dego is correct, however distillized water has been used in wire EDM machines for 20 years, where resistance is an important feature, and while it's true it will become conductive over time, conduction is relevant. What's the measure? as conductive as air, less? more? Actually you can tell if the water in an EDM machine is getting dirty as when you stick you finger in you'll get a slight tingle. Caution though the brass wire carries enough juice to kill you.

Good review, I never used non conductive cooling in a loop and over the years I drenched my motherboard and video card repeatedly. I just turned off the power nad blotted and thoroughly hair dryed the mobo and I never killed a piece of hardware.

Tags: Add Tags