1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

The case is almost ready for the paintjob, but that will have to wait till after my 6 week vacation. The ducts will have to be sealed with a rubber strip to prevent air escaping to the wrong compartments.

[​IMG]

The holes in the bottom of the case, drilled for the dustfilter, will also be used to keep the duct in place. Don't have bolts that are long enough so I can't finish it right now. I want to drill some holes in the aluminium profile and when I tighten these bolts the profile will pull the duct onto the rubber strips.

[​IMG]

Started working on some details. Because I don't like the side of a normal fan I decided to make some sort of hosing for the fan that will be placed in the back of the case. I started with a small strip of acrylic. This acrylic needs to be bend. Used some mdf and some copper pipes to bend the piece.

[​IMG]

The piece of acrylic just needs to be shortened a bit and then it can be glued.

[​IMG]

Time to glue the frosted acrylic lid onto the black acrylic.

[​IMG]

Will have to wait till the glue has hardened, before I can start cuttin a hole in the frosted acrylic for the fan.

[​IMG]

The combination of black and white will be used quite often in this case.

2. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

After a few hours of filing, the fan with black acrylic ring around it, fits in the fanbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this wil be one of my last updates before my 6 week vacation. Hope to get some information from a company that is specialized in painting polyester before I leave the Netherlands for a warmer place, because the case is almost ready for a paintjob.

3. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Dude I'm totally diggin the fan! I'm keeping my eye on this one.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lovely fan. Have a safe trip. We'll still be here waiting when you get back.:D

5. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

wow, i was following this project on hardforum about a year ago, its come along way, love the shocks :)

6. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Now that is one clean fan enclosure and a clean looking mod overall as well! Very nice! I have to second Teknokid, the shocks roxx!

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

have fun on the trip.
    also, professional fan you have there. great job.

8. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I've done a lot of things since I'm back from my vacation, but the thing is it just was not interesting for an update. Just because I had to make three or for of the same parts, parts that I already showed in previous posts.

But now I can show some new stuff, not much, but it is something new. First of all I almost finished two dustfilters, only need to clean, sand and polish them.
    Drilled two holes in the acrylic and tapped the hole. Cut of the heads of some bolts and placed those in the holes. These metal pins that stick out need to keep the acrylic piece, that comes on top, in place.

[​IMG]

The top, filter material and bottom.

[​IMG]

And this is where the filters will be placed, I can slide them in there. This is the bottom of the case, underneath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From these intakes the air will be guided through airducts. On the left you can see the holes without the airduct and on the right you can see the airduct in place.

[​IMG]

This is how I mounted the airduct, just tighten the bolts and the aluminium profile pulls the airduct onto the rubber seal.

[​IMG]

Also did some detailwork. Something that will be mounted on the backside of the case.

[​IMG]

This will be the airoutlet on the back of the case. The frosted acrylic will give a pretty cool effect when the light from the orange fan is on. Used I torch to give you a bit of an impression.

[​IMG]

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

played catchup with your thread and man has this come a long way, looking awesome.

10. jiorgan

jiorgan What's a Dremel?

Perfect job !

11. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

A very small update today. I had to mount the fanhousings and didn't want the bolts to be visible. This is what I came up with. I glued two pieces of acrylic (5mm.) together and cut a triangle from this piece. To make it fit I rounded one corner, so I could glue it in the corner, on the inside, of the fanhousing.

[​IMG]

After this I drilled a hole in these pieces of acrylic and tapped it. Attached it with two bolts to the aluminium panel. You can see the two bolts above the airducts.

[​IMG]

A view from the side.

[​IMG]

and from another angle. The compartment with the airduct will not be visible when this case is finished, only the side with the fanhousing will.

[​IMG]

12. HourBeforeDawn

can you do a far away show to show off how massive it is?

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

It is huge :lol: but it doesn't matter because it will be used for promotional purposes. It needs to attrackt peoples attention and that is just what it will do. 50x54x65 centimeters wxhxd

[​IMG]

14. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice !! i realy like your projects !!
    and that's a realy big power switch :lol:

keep up the good work !

15. skot630a

skot630a What's a Dremel?

verry nice and looks amazing hope it turns out as good as it looks thus far

16. Xs1t0ry

Xs1t0ry What's a Dremel?

My first post here and I wanted it to be in this log.

You do exceptional work and I aspire to mod with such precision!

17. Leviathan

Leviathan Previously know as 'tanky_walrus'

Awesome mate, looks insane!

18. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Working on some more dustfilters. I don't want the dust to reach the radiators or even get into the ducts. So I will need dustfilters for the intakes on the sidepanels. I'm talking about these guys.

[​IMG]

This is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I integrated the frosted white intake grill. Used some pieces of acrylic to raise it a bit. Glued it onto the grill and mounted it from behind with some bolts, not visible in when mounted.

[​IMG]

All parts joint.

[​IMG]

This part will be mounted in here, so from the back of the intake.

[​IMG]

Not ready yet, still need to make something that keeps this thing in place.

19. HourBeforeDawn

nice work, all that acrylic work looks amazing.

20. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

You have to love this mod, it's just so creative