1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tom Clancy's Endwar PC delayed due to piracy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Mother ****ers.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

Yarrrr, game piracy isn't killing the PC, It be killing the open seas.
    All ye damn pirates are gone overboard and left ye ships an become land-lubbing 'software pirates'.
    if ye ask me, all these kids need t' get a swift kick up the arse.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yaaarrrgh and stuff.

Seems like an interesting step to take.
    Yet again it punishes the PC gamers who do actually pay to play.
    Its interesting that those honest gamers who usually do pay will now not even be faced with the option to download the game.
    So if they're really interested in playing a game, they'll need to buy a console and have an inferior experience.

Piracy isn't killing PC gaming, misguided developers are. :(

5. N19h7m4r3

N19h7m4r3 What's a Dremel?

Release the games of steam first, make a profit then if they wish retail it.

I for one have always loved buying games. Since the good old cardboard boxes. They make good collectables also :)

I love getting collector's edition, but you sadly can't with downloads :(

Also they could just implement the same account creations that MMO's use. Worked for games like Guildwars and the Battlefield series. There wasn't to much pirating there.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They have lost my sale now.

7. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Steam is the best DRM from a consumer PoV but its still not pirate proof (there will be SP versions of the games up days after release..)

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You know who is killing the pc... Valve!

On the rare occasion i get the time to game thanks to them i never feeling like playing games from some one else. Thanks to them i actually still know we are not second class gamers, thanks to them i've seen how a good distribution system works (i know it has its faults but its better than securom et al).

I'm never going to buy a console i've not got the money to spend on a decent pc and a console and since PC gamers are being further marginalised I honestly think i'm giving up. I've not bought a new game in ages, i tend to buy second hand and I refuse to buy a DRMed game so no one is going to miss me. However pubs can consider me a lost sale on any platform you care to mention, congrats guys i'm guessing i'm not alone.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Is that sensible? If everyone did that, we'd have no PC games at all! PC breaking DRM software fine, but just cos it's late? Come on.

10. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Something needs to change... maybe we should all start pirating console games just to help the pc... lol hmmmmm :)

11. tech9

tech9 What's a Dremel?

I honestly don't care anymore, they bitch and moan and don't look for a solution they totally ignore what the consumer is saying and continue to push for more over priced games and intrusive programs, piracy is ramped amongst all systems if ur smart enough to do it on pc u can do it jus as easily on console no patch or crack needed . Their justification is absolutely ludicrous avoiding the problem won't make it go away.

I believe that neglecting pc gaming will only result in one thing and that is piracy will begin to run ramped on console that's the only truth in this matter

if they honestly ask the entirety of the pc gaming community a solution can be found and the problem can be solved, sites like this and many others have a huge community that wish to be heard they just need to listen:hip:

Last edited: 9 Oct 2008
  12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure why you all thin that PC games are overpriced. They're normally around £25 on release, compared to £40 for X360 and PS3 games. As PC gamers, you're already getting a better deal. Trying to justify piracy by saying that games publishers started the fight by having the temerity to charge a reasonable fee for their product is insane.

13. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Mr. Plater is so offensive against honest PC gamers he deserves to be slapped by every single PC gamer who bought any game from Ubisoft lately. Maybe he'll be surprised as his head fell of his shoulders.
    Last week I bought AoE collector's ed.(Ubisoft, exclusive!), so let's get started....

But there's been so many PC devs and publishers talking crap like this lately. The problem is that EVERY pc gamer(honest or not) is pirate to them!!! And it really piss me off...

14. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

Developing games for consoles is simpler and thus cheaper. You have one defined piece of hardware with one defined piece of API and driver. Console games usually also have a higher price point than PC games. So much for that.

Now to software piracy. A software pirate is a thief, period. He doesn't steal because of the "injustice done to him", but because he sees a change to get something he desires for free and with little consequences to fear. That's the entire source of software piracy. If games would be made cheaper, they would still steal them, just with the argument "hey, it's so cheap, taking a copy for free doesn't hurt anyway".

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I don't feel valued as a PC customer if it's released on consoles first, am I sposed to start emailing them thanking them for delaying their game? DRM bothers me less, it's easy to stripe away or get around, a delay is only combatted by buying it on a console or waiting, hurm.

16. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Piracy is a serious problem, no doubt about it.

I recently organized a competition at the Really Awesome Gaming Expo (RAGE) in Johannesburg South Africa for Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth 2 and Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance.

You could buy BFME 2 for about $8 on the floor and Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance for $22 on the floor, yet I later realized that about half the people that were playing had pirated the game at the event and they were so greedy that they would not pay these low prices for a game.

There is a general disrespect from the PC gaming community towards the publishers and the creators of these games and an attitude of, I can do it why is it wrong?

I agree with this move and from a publishers point of view it makes sense and if we are standing by without seeing the issue at hand we will loose the beloved PC gaming platform for good, only MMO's will survive.

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

So if console games are too overpriced that make the less overpriced PC games no overpriced at all? I am not buying £25 game I haven't try because there is no demo, have few hours of pain trying to run the thing and get another few hours of... let call it gameplay and dump the sh** and never play it again.
    It's funny how only the devs that made some not-so-good games lately are bitching about piracy. Why didn't Valve or Blizzard do it? Their games are pirated too (and maybe even more)?

18. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

karx11erx!: Do you also believe buying used games is stealing? Because from the point of view of the publishers that's no different than piracy.

19. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

+1 for the sentiment - console games are normally released at higher price points than PC games, though I'm sure AAA PC titles are first released with an RRP of ~£35. That doesn't mean you wont find them at £25-£30 at play.com or similar though!

It's the reason that I don't own a console, and I only bought the other half a Wii begrudgingly. (even more so since she hardly ever uses it)

20. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

Greedy? Do you realize how much $22 are in some countries? My month salary is less than $600. I can't afford to buy a game just to find out that it is crap or won't work on my PC because someone didn't do their job right and rushed the game out. And still I'm buying the games that I think worth the money.
    The main problem is not the piracy itself (still it is a problem) but the way that the industry react to it by kicking all PC gamers in the balls.

Tags: Add Tags