1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: LEXA

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The boy 4rm oz, 10 Apr 2008.

1. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Very nice :thumb:

2. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Liking the res front :thumb:

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I just read through this whole thread. Sorry I haven't commented before. I've been in a cave feeling sorry for myself.
    This is just some good work. The plexi, the H2O pump mount, the detail. All verra nice. :clap: I will be watching this, promise!

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Thanks guys.
    @John - Thanks mate. The original thread on TBCS is close to 50 pages now lol. It has taken me a long time to get it to the stage it is at now but I am almost done...finally.

5. crazycooler

crazycooler Air cooling maniac

Nice work,espessially Your details!:clap:

6. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

Hi i love what you have done with the face plate keep it up man :thumb:

7. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks a lot everyone.

I was going to finish off my RAM cooler today but I lent my Dremel to a mate I have nothing to cut the plexi for the letters out with.

8. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Use a Kitchen knife to cut it. :) mite take a bit of time. :D Cannot wait to see it.

9. The boy 4rm oz

I really should have gotten off my ass and used a coping saw lol but homework grabbed my attention haha.

10. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Glad to see you're still working on this, oz!

Can't wait to see the loop up and running :)

11. The boy 4rm oz

Thanks cheezeit. I was really hoping this mod would get finished during my 2 week break in school but it doesn't look like that is the case. I have to go back to school Monday so sadly homework takes priority over modding. The upside is as of Monday I have only 11 days of school left so I guarantee this mod will at least be done by Christmas at the latest.

12. The boy 4rm oz

WOOHOO!!! Time for a very very small update lol

Well it is Friday afternoon and a lovely 29*c outside so it seemed like a perfect time to paint my fans.
    Here are all the fans with their cables bagged up and with the blades painted with some yellow gel highlighter:
    [​IMG]
    After I gave the blades a coat of clear varnish the fans looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I wish I had some pics to show you with the fan but my camera only captured the blue glow, not the green center, bummer.

I know it looks a bit patchy but the highlighter kept spreading across the smooth plastic surface. You can't notice this when the fans are running though.

I still haven't decided whether or not to paint the 60mm fans from the RAM cooler. I am going to wait and see how that turns out before I make my decision. The last fan I have to paint is the one on my Thermaltake Extreme Spirit II northbridge cooler. As the cooler is being used I will paint it when I am assembling the system.

I also finished filing the cuts on my RAM cooler:
    [​IMG]

Since my friend still has my Dremel I couldn't do any more work to it but I did do this:
    [​IMG]
    I traced the letters from the cooler onto a piece of gloss black mesh I had laying around from a pair of old speakers. This mesh will be cut out and placed in the cuts. Green plexi will then be put behind the mesh. Should look really cool.

Well that's all for me, better get started on the homework, gonna be a late one tomorrow night ;). Until then...

Happy Modding.

13. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I had some free time tonight so I clicked your link (along with some others) and went
    through your whole project log.
    Wow 54 posts in a day!
    A great job all round, highlights for me are the drive tower and case feet together with
    the green plex/mesh combo and the lexa cutout is terrific as well. Excellent work, will follow. :thumb:

14. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Nice work on the ram cooler cover.

15. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Ram cooler idea is cool duder :thumb:

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yes, most cool. Very clean!

17. The boy 4rm oz

@oldnewby - Thanks mate. Yeah I transplanted this worklog from a different forum (The Best Case Scenario), that's where it started. The original worklog is 54 pages I think lol. The mod has been going for about 14-15 months now lol. I am really prod of the feet. They would have to be my favourite part of the case which I made. Shame they are barely seen :(.

@icutebluezone - Thanks

@Colossous - Thanks

@E.E.L. Ambiense - Thanks. I really wanted to keep the case looking like a LEXA, very clean and smooth edges.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. If you have any questions fell free to post them up and I will answer them the best I can.

18. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

This is a cool project!
    Keep up the good work..

19. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I like the ram cooler cutouts as well, it's looking good. The fans are looking sweet as well. (I hope you protected the fan motor while varnishing!)

Since my last question to you about your UV results, I've been playing with a few different cheap solutions to UV. I'm still not totally happy, and this may not work for you, but I used some neon green spray paint on a old case fan (solid black) and the results turned out pretty good. (You can see a short video in the Modding forum under my CCFL repair thread at the bottom of the first post. It lights up nicely.) You'd lose the transparency of the fan blades, but have some good color. It might not be what you're going for though. If you're interested I can check the can when I get home and give you the manufacturer (they have other neon colors besides green, too.) It's some major manufacturer, maybe duplicolor or krylon I picked up at Home Depot.

I'm still working on my lexa, and will get a log up sometime in the future, but I really like what you've done with yours! Wish I had some watercooling happening... but it'll come, eventually. :)

20. The boy 4rm oz

@ MS - Thanks mate.
    @ ModMinded - Yes I did tape the back of the motor up while varnishing. I sprayed about $150AUD worth of fans and I wasn't going to wreck them lol. I was also looking at some Neon looking spray cans but the stuff we get here tends to be Fluro and not Neon as in you can't see it with UV light. I think I am going to keep them as they are for the time being. The green blades have actually made then fan a lot brighter lol. Thanks for the tip anyway ModMinded.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Tags: