Gaming Far Cry 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Oct 2008.

1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Don't be a smart-arse.

When you have brown enemies, in a brown jeep, next to a brown shack, in a brown dirt road with brown banks along the sides - it all becomes a bit too much. It makes it harder to play and less fun to play.

Don't forget - all the screen shots you see are the cream of the crop. In the early stages - where I am at after a couple of hours - the terrain is close, and is almost entirely brown and green. Not surprising given the supposed location, but this is where the devs earn their money. They need to strive for authenticity but provide balance.

That said, I'd forgive the brown if everything else was OK, but it isn't.

I think Joe was generous in review. I know some people will want to knock any good game of its pedestal, but I didn't pre-order it for that. I had high hopes, but - so far - it's nowhere near as good as I expected.

2. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

One option could be that most monoculars do NOT have adjustable zoom.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i am surprised that no one else has said this yet. Farcry gave you nothing to do other than run around in the trees, or go swimming. where as boiling point let you do as you wish almost, kinda like a jungle based GTA.

4. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

I poked around in the console a couple of hours ago and I remember there being an FOV option - I may be wrong but drop the console with ` and type ? - should give you a list of commands and there's an FOV option somewhere, otherwise its in the config file in Docs / My Games / Far Cry 2

:)

5. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Have all of those people complaining about how brown everything is tried calibrating their screens?

Seriously though, there is a lot of desert, your in a war torn part of Africa! Perhaps you can all get together and make a mod:

Primary weapon: Pouch of grass seed's and the power of irrigation
    Secondary: Endless supply of paint

Just started playing and it aint half as brown as your all complaining about!

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I assumed this information would naturally surface in the coming days. I'm also going to check the TweakGuides site, but I'll have a look into those console commands, thanks.

Note: Apparently it's the same issue we all had with Bioshock, for which there was a patch to fix it shortly after launch - perhaps there will be something similar here

AFAIK I'm well calibrated. I just think it's their design choice. It's arguably more authentic, but IMHO it needs a bit more variation.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

maybe there all wear sun glasses, trying to look cool.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Absolutely agree with everything in your review Joe, it is a bloody good game.

Another bonus is the fact that quick-saves are distinct from each other in the save menu, rather than being a "slot" that you overwrite every time you stab for the button.

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

try driving around a bit :p
    at the edges its a full on saharan desert style thing
    as you move in you get some kind of savannah type thing and then in the middle its jungles and ****

mouse thing still driving me potty :p

10. biebiep

biebiep What's a Dremel?

I F'ing lold @ the game's graphics/realism.
    People were all like: It's going to so run better than crysis and its going to look just as well!
    Well for me, graphics/physics wise, this thing doesn't even come close!

Playing it on very high now, i get the same FPS as in crysis and all of it didn't even feel as "real". Tires didn't make sense compared to movement. The textures seem much less fluent(they seem and the shadows are way to hard when compared to crysis/reality. (ie: when looking at jungle/trees from afar, you can clearly see this)

Conclusion: Far Cry 2 is just what i expected it to be, but Crysis engine reigns supreme as it goes a hell of a longer way of showing me something i can believe on screen.

(Storyline and campaign immersion go to far cry 2 though, but that wasn't the point of this post ^^)

11. MaZ

Well after fighting for a half hour to get the game into DX9 mode without blackscreening me on load, I've finally got into game in DX9 mode and it's frickin perfect .No mouse lag at all, plays beautifully. No pretty DX10 stuff though :( :(

12. MaZ

Apparently this is all to do with FPS - switching to DX9 gave enough of an FPS boost to clear the input sluggishness - apparently turning the quality down in DX10 has the same effect and also drops mouse faggotry to none.

Now I don't know much about game engine programming but surely input polling shouldn't be related to output fps? :/

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yep that sorted it for me, dropped settings down from ultra high and very high which was giving me 30-50fps depending on what was happenning
    now getting 60fps solid (vsync) and the mouse thing is fixed
    annoying because the fps were fine at the higher quality setting :\

14. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

It does *not* fix the need to stop debugging applications - getting an application under the debugger into just the right state may take nearly an hour; it does not stop the need to shut the many dozens of applications I am normally running concurrently; it does not stop the need to start those applications back up and move them into the right locations - I use a carefully arranged cascade on secondary and tertiary monitors to maximize the amount of information on screen, where the corners of each window acts as the window switching mechanism (because the task bar doesn't scale).

I use Cygwin and normally have multiple terminal windows open, many with long-running background jobs active. There's often simply no way to break those scripts in the middle of their work without having to restart them all from scratch after a reboot, and that's assuming that I've done a job listing and been producing logs sufficient to tell exactly what was in flight at the time of the shutdown.

Finally, there are other network users of my machine: my machine is accessed by my server for backup and indexing, and my gf may be e.g. watching a movie that's stored local to my machine. Restarting my machine is inconveniencing other people and putting my data at risk (however small).

Laziness has nothing the hell to do with it. No other game I have ever played has required me to REBOOT (!!!) my machine in order to play. I reboot less often than once per month. When patch Tuesday updates aren't critical, my uptime runs into 40+ days.

15. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Why hasn't this arrived in the mail ;_; Play.com, you torment me with your poor choice of courier company ;_;

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

yea, the FOV can be an issue, but i got used to it.

my review:
    - graphic: 8.5 (its great and all, but trees and stuff can't be destroyed such in Crysis, and there's no gunshot wounds on the enemy. they bleed when i shot them, but when they drop dead, theyr silky clean. fire is nice though.)
    - story: 9 (great story and the little cutscenes where u got sick and almost all npc char ingame has different voice and background story)
    - gameplay: 9 (wouldve give it a 10 if the damn FOV is more comfortable. driving is worse. health system and buddy system are awesome, and combat is wicked. i play on hardcore and it does give me hardcore. which is fun. which is immersive.)
    - sound: 8 (meh? its good. its ok.)

yea overall its a 9.

oh, and yes, FPS is much higher and much smoother than crysis, but crysis is still prettier. a wee bit. yeah.

8800GTS 640 on 1680x1050, 4xAA, Dx10, ultra high. fps 29 - 40, average 32~33.... i turned off AA and due to high resolution its still pretty smooth... i wont notice it in the thick of battle for sure and its hops to 40~60, averaging 52~55....

Crysis on the same setting will choke my system... prolly 30FPS max outdoor and the snow-storm level would drop it below 10FPS.

Please use the edit button instead of double-posting. It's there for a reason. Ta.

Last edited by a moderator: 24 Oct 2008
  17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

crysis is much prettier imo

protip: hit numpad 8 and watch hilarity ensue :p

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

having sat down with it for about an hour i'm seriously unimpressed, its horrible, movement and combat feel wooden, stiff and unresponsive, vehicles feel like bumpercars on comedy fairground rails and visually its weak sauce. such potential ruined by serious consolification issues.

I wouldn't give this a 5 let alone 9

19. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Yet another promising PC game turned into a lazily done console port D:

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

excellent :)
    Can you fire the guns mounted on vehicles whilst you are driving them like you can on the easier settings in Crysis?

Tags: Add Tags