1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Far Cry 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Oct 2008.

1. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Dual boot, one for work, one for games?

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yeah im sure ;)

its not just sensitivity, its more just how it moves
    its hard to explain but if you think back to say Q3, that was just perfect as far as movement goes
    it wasnt in anyway realistic but the engine reacted exactly how you expected it too, Source is pretty damn good too
    this just seems... wrong somehow, its the exact opposite of Q3 in terms of 'naturalness' i know its not just me though!
    i dunno, but it definately breaks the immersion for me :(

3. MaZ

MaZ "Aye, me bottle of scrumpy!"

Posting to agree with this, the mouse movement is definitely off - it's not unplayable, but it is certainly annoying and if they were trying to make it "realistic" in any way IMO at least it just turned out frustrating. The mouse moment in the menu is definitely different than ingame (it feels more accentuated on the menu than ingame) but theres a definite slight input.... I dunno whether to call it lag, or non-linear acceleration. I remember farcry feeling a little like this too but much less pronounced, and you could fix that by playing with the console settings and turning off the funky mouse stuff, but this doesn't seem to have the option :(

Aside from that though, of what I've played its a good game - it's been pretty fun so far even though I've fought with the mouse movement the entire time :(

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Dont know how they can get away with calling it Far Cry 2 when it has absolutely nothing to do with the previous game in terms of characters or story.

Its no different to ID releasing Doom 4 and calling it Half Life 3.

Ubisoft are just pimping off the far cry name.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Why not Quake did it.

6. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I know what you're talking about. In (some)modern games there's some crazy 'mouse acceleration' even after you turn it off in 'controls menu'(and disabled in windows too). It often causes me problems with aiming, as crosshair ends up far behind target after quick mouse movement(I'm using Razor Diamondback, so it's not case of crappy cheap mouse). Besides Q3 - in Serious Sam you can change mouse settings so that it reacts with lightning response, no 'additional movement or movement scaling'. Though I really can't understand, why they didn't recommend this settings, it's simply the best experience I ever had. And for sake of gamers - they should release and highlight that piece of source code so that other devs can use it too:)

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

who cares about the name it looks awesome, cant wait to play

the drm doesn't look too bad for this game but im sure everyone will have a good long whinge regardless

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Ooops! :blush:
    Delete this, thanks!

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008
  9. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

is it reallly that difficult to provide widescreen out of the box? jeez

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Similar, limited activations, online authorization for playing a single player game.
    If you do a proper uninstallation you get the activation back. Or you use a revoke tool.
    Dont forget to de-activate all your "de-activatable" games before formatting or changing hardware.

For widescreen users, its Vert-; for narrowscreen users its Vert+.
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14737

11. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

You'd better write off Call of Duty 4, then, because without WW2 it's clearly not a real COD game.

I think the point about keeping the name is that Far Cry 2 retains the formula of taking the player to an exotic and unfamiliar location with fairly realistic and open combat.

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Always with the Bioshock comparison Joe :p

Good review though. I've got it sitting beside me right now.

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Agree, no matter how simple it is for the user to fix it, widesreens are pretty much the standard now.

I disagree, Sure, after reading the review it sounds like a good game, I'll definitly pick it up and play it, but I suspect it wont be good enough for Game of the Year, shooter of the year? most likely, but with extreme high profile titles comming soon like fallout 3 I just think its too early to start talking about the Game of the year.
    Nice review and the game does look good (not only graphically), seems like its far superior to the first one.

14. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

I think you didn't read my post. That would be twice as bad. The DRM requires me to reboot, which is why I haven't played the game yet. Dual boot would also require a reboot to play, but not only that, it would require a second reboot to resume work.

15. barrkel

barrkel What's a Dremel?

The problem with Crysis Warhead DRM is not the activations, it is the fact that it is specifically looking for names in the kernel object namespace that some Microsoft (ex SysInternals) utilities use to communicate with their driver halves.

Specifically, Process Explorer 11.1 uses \\GLOBAL??\ProcExp111, File Monitor 7.01 uses \\GLOBAL??\Filemon701, etc. SecuROM tries to open these, probably via the pseudo-UNC format \\.\ProcExp111 etc.; if it finds any of its hard-coded paths, it prevents the game from running.

You can see these things in the \\GLOBAL?? namespace yourself. For example, open up CMD.EXE and type:

Code:
    dir "\\.\PhysicalDrive0"

You should see something equivalent to "A device attached to the system is not functioning." (the message is localized based on your loaded UI language). Well, if you have run Process Explorer 11.1, or FileMon 7.01 in the past, you'll get somewhat similar messages upon running dir "\\.\ProcExp111" etc.

The long and short of it is that in order to get the DRM to not abort when seeing these device driver symbolic links in the global namespace, they need to either be forcibly unloaded (which is unsafe on multicore SMP Windows kernel) or hidden somehow. One way of getting it done is by changing the security descriptor on the symbolic links, and is one technique I've been playing with. I'll write up a blog article about it eventually when I'm happy with how it all works.

However, this level of expertise and hackery shouldn't be required just to play a damn game. Asinine.

16. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

o_O are you really lazy? A reboot takes what one minute, a games boot and work boot removes the resizing cafuffle, or just google workarounds for the DRM.

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

First impressions:

- It's very brown! I mean, apart from green leaves, everything is brown.
    Most vehicles are brown, most clothes are brown, ...the whole thing is
    overwhelmingly brown
    - Having been playing Insurgency (HL2 mod) recently, it's frustrating how much lead
    you have to pump into someone to kill them. If you get a 7.62mm round to the
    forehead, you are dead.
    - FoV is not quite right - I get dizzy after playing for a while because the
    FoV is too narrow. It's like sitting at the very front of the cinema.
    - Not easy to tell the direction of your attackers.
    - Graphics set to very high (8800GTS/512 @ 1680x1050)
    - Physics pretty good
    - Why do I have to select the map in order to use the monocular? And why
    doesn't it have an adjustable zoom?
    - I cleared a checkpoint, visited a house (for 4mins perhaps = 20mins game
    time), went back to checkpoint and it was full of gunmen again - annoying
    and breaks every sense of immersion.
    - Open terrain? Not so far. A series of rat-runs surrounded by unclimbable
    rocks/banks/hills. Often the target location is so tightly surrounded by
    impassable terrain that you can't even flank them. In the early stages,
    running-and-gunning is the only option.
    - Different styles of gameplay? Not so far. There is Far Cry 1-esque
    detection skills from enemies, who can happily see and fire through dense
    bushes. You are limited to 1 shotgun or one of two assault rifles. So the
    stealth approach and the sniping approach is not possible - so far (2hrs).
    - The use and behaviour of fire is quite good.

I'm going to persist, partly because I've paid good money for it, and partly
    because it is supposed to get better. I may even finish it, but I can assure
    you that (if you are a dedicated PC gamer) it isn't going to be a classic.

There is chance for redemption, but so far, in the inevitable competition
    with Crysis, Crysis is ahead.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

wouls anyone say this is very close to what 'boiling point' tried to achieve.

Love boiling point, but the graphics let it down.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its too brown?! jesus what the hell do people want? bright neon shooter 4: attack of the killer strobe!

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I did actually think that too. Boiling Point was such a shame.

Tags: Add Tags