1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fable 2 Non-Gamer Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Nov 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im probably the biggest ******* critic of pc games out there (currently feeding the farcry 2 disc to my dog) I actually quite enjoyed reading that. :clap:

i can kinda see the method behind the madness that is Molynaux's thinking as the casual non-gamer audience is relatively untapped source of income which the wii did with silly success.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Good review, if only to show the difference to Molyneux (I hope you guys emailed him :p) maybe she can do some more reviews for the Wii games?

4. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'm not a gamer-snob. I hate people who use the word "noob" or any other derogatory name calling (unless it is at some poisonous personality who spoils it for everyone. There should be a democratic microphone mute vote IMO).

I like games. I like people who like games. I like new people who are interested in games. Why wouldn't you like more people being interested in something you love?

There are always going to be hateful "purists" who deride and abuse games and gamers who are often described as "casual". Many RPGers hated Oblivion as too "console-y" and dumbed down, but you know what, most people (including myself) liked it despite of or because of the levelling and other issues.

Fable 2 is going to get a lot of hate heaped on it because it wasn't what some wanted. It is obvious from Faith's review that is successful at what it was meant to be.
    Do "casual" gamers not have the right to have games made for their tastes and needs? Shouldn't they be allowed to be happy with their purchases? Why does every game need to be for the "hardcore" <insert genre here> gamer?

I apologise for the "Why cant we all just get along" speech. I'll stop with the sermonising now and go play some Scarface (*).

* Hey, it cost me a buck, so I can put up with the crippling flaws on PC. Don't judge me!! You don't know me!!

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

when something you've grown up with and love is suddenly given to someone else and you've given a "**** you" by the companies you've grown with and helped get to their position, only then will you know what it feels like to be "hardcore"

6. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I liked that review quite a bit, it was well written and truthful and its exactly what most "casual" gamers would likely say. Sadly I think fable 2 could of prevented alot of hate if they had a option for basic fighting and advanced fighting and maybe even the same with quest. It seems ever sense EA has taken a big slice of gaming developers have stopped using options.... why... madden is a prime example of this decline in customization.

7. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Funny reading! Being hardcore gamer, this review almost makes me wanna try this game. It would be better if it had two difficulty settings...

lol !!!
    Has she got any pets?

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Nice review, makes me want to play the game but I don't have a 360 :(

9. Seraphim2150

Seraphim2150 Non-Modder

Bit Tech should try this with some other games

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Maybe - but the problem is that there's only so long you can do a non-gamer review before your non-gamer actually becomes a gamer...

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Played it, finished it, onto the next lol. Me and my mate finished it last weekend after 2 solid days of ownage lol.

12. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

"Don't damn me When I speak a piece of my mind"

nice to see you try something diffrent. a rewiev from a casual gamer is proberly better for this kind of game, and it is nice to read, it reminds me of how I used to see games when i first started.
    In the end non "hardcore" gamers may get more out of the games than manny of the rest of us do, when a "hqardcore" gamer plays a new game he/she is fast to find anny minor flaws in the game, however a casual gamer may not notice this and therefore get a better experience.

13. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Surely you could just get a steady stream of "work experience" in from a local school/collage. I mean there are probably quite a few people looking to be journalists in some form in the area and you could quite easily weed out the ones who play games to maintain the non gamer opinion. But thats only if you were seriously looking at regularly presenting both the "gamer" and "non-gamer" view.

14. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

You need more sisters then :p - still, a good review - what she couldn't add to it was the gamer POV - that the combat actually scales quite well from casual to gamer... If you do know what you are doing it is possible to actually fight pretty well without just mashing keys - eg linking combos and rolls and headshots etc together and so catering to all tastes/skills.

15. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

so yeah, i find this review interesting, considering the fact that a lot of hardcore gamers have come out in favour of this game. personally, i'm neither hardcore nor casual - i like games a lot, yet don't really have the time to dig my teeth into games as much as i would like to. i found fable 2 amazing, to be frank. one of the most involving games i've ever played, and for the first time in a loooong while made me feel emotions other than 'die!' and 'bored', and, yes, regret/question my actions.

now if only nintendo could do a zelda game like this. i'm asking too much, aren't i.

16. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'd like to think I'm as emotional as anyone else in my nostalgia over my gaming youth, but I don't think that I'm >>owed<< anything from my misplaced sense of loyalty.
    Why misplaced? Because these aren't friends, family or comrades...they're a business, and businesses are out to make a profit. Which is a good thing, or there'd be no more games.

Pinning your hopes on the honour and other warm/fuzzy emotions of bean-counters is just an exercise in futility and frustration. You just have to move on to another game that hold true to the genre as you enjoy it. I think the only dead genre at the moment is largely, sadly, adventure games.
    Although fingers crossed, this might just be the exception!! -->: http://uplay.uk.ubi.com/index.php?video=ysdsscxr

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I liked that article, it was a good way of presenting the review. I dont think it would work if it was done too much though, it works in the context of this game and what molyneux has said previously.

Well done to faith, a very enjoyable read :)

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I already have three, and a brother - more than enough for me!

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I just realised something, I can go on killing as much as I like, I won't grow horns. No, I have to shovel in the pies for that.

20. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

What an excellent article. It's this kind of stuff that separates bit-tech from the rest of the internet

Tags: Add Tags