1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Facebook

Discussion in 'General' started by Volund, 20 Jan 2009.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Alright, I won't flame no more, I promise. And I apologise, I didn't mean to call you a 'tard*. But seriously - how can you know 450 people?! To my mind that's just madness (and no, it's not Sparta). Do you really contact them all? More regularly than could be achieved with the occasional text and such? I just think it's a stretch too far, to have everyone you've ever known on your social networking, considering how much of your life they're privvy to. I wouldn't want 450 people seeing all the photos of my last holiday.

Do you like them? If so, you're an immensely benevolent person. Such as I didn't believe existed, to be frank.

*The people I was calling 'tards are the dick-comparing people who just get off on having a huge friends list and regard it all as a competition. There are more than you'd think.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

No, but way to many of the *********ers that use FB damn sure try to!

The problems isn't with facebook, the problem is the user base that seem to believe that "web 2.0" is the "new cool thing".

Well, in my eyes Web 1.0 isn't out of beta yet...

3. RTT

RTT #parp

So how do you know they're annoyed? ;) Or are you saying that they do actually bother to speak to you to express their annoyance afterwards? If they message you (rather than speak IRL), just set your messages privacy setting to "only friends" - problem solved!

Having said that, why would you even care that they get annoyed if they are not people you are close to?

For me, privacy settings are key on facebook. I personally find the default settings far too open :blah:

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

I worked at a ski slope for 4 years when I was at school, lotta people passed through there, and then I was assistant manager of my halls bar for 2 and a half years, you get to know a LOT of people that way, and now being in the band there's a lot of promoters and people in other bands that I can keep in touch with via facebook. The point is not that I couldn't achieve the same level of contact with the occasional text, the point is that I don't have to think to text people, because I see them on facebook and can chuck them a quick message more easily, and for free. Obviously some I talk to a lot more than others, but if I honestly don't think I'd ever talk to someone again, I remove them, as I said. And of course I like all of them! OK, I can think of maybe two that get on my tits a bit, but the thing is they're part of groups of people that I like, so I just can't be bothered with the politics of not accepting their adds. And yes, like most of the other people here, I have not added the assholes from my school that I never got on with. I don't add/accept adds from everyone I meet, just people I like.

Oh and the whole privacy issue? Facebook tells people nothing useful about me. I haven't got my mobile up there, and the email address that's listed is the latest spamtrap address (I just replace my "public" email address every few years when the spam buildup gets too big). I don't mind people seeing drunk pictures of me on nights out, I don't take a lot of pictures anyway. I dunno, I guess it doesn't bother me.

5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I just use it to post drunken pictures.
    And comment on everyone elses lives. (The relationship status 'comment' button is particularly tempting)

I'll add anyone who I would nod to and say a few words to in the street. So what.

6. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7845946.stm

...nuff said...

then again my personal opinion (that of an ol' git - or so Im told) is that speaking to people IRL (oh my gosh) phone or email still works pretty well...I cant wait for the next myspace/facebook thang to come along so I can watch all the facebook addicts go through withdrawal...I call it the great online popularity contest...I have 1 friend, so I am clearly loosing...or winning? I forget which way round it goes...more is less, or less is more?!? :)

7. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I've had that only I rejected the person in question, I thought to myself. Imagine being rejected by someone you hated and that you deemed as uncool! PWNT

8. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Haha!! Reminds me of Futurama:

Fry: Poor Bender, you're seeing things. You've been drinking too much, or too little, I forget how it works with you. Anyway, you haven't drunk exactly the right amount.

:D

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i have to say that i find facebook pretty useful for seeing other peoples photos of stuff you went to that you otherwise would probably never have seen.

That and it is quite useful for events, and having group chat type things with the nested messages.

One friend of mine ( a real life one that is) has 850+ "friends" on facebook. i do find that a little strange...