1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Facebook

Discussion in 'General' started by Volund, 20 Jan 2009.

1. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

^ that's why you make a friends list called 'work' or similar and make it so they can't see anything interesting on your profile :p

2. Slaughter

Slaughter What's a Dremel?

Well a lot of friends have such accounts I don't but thats probably because I dont like myself pictured and stuff (being fat and so)!

I had an hi5.com account for a while but one day I realised that 55 of my "friends" where unknown to me.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've only ever added people I know decently, if its someone random, its the ignore button. Not that hard.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Mankz speaks the truth. I have 24 friends on facebook, and two of those I consider extraneous as we've only ever exchanged a couple of words on a night out.

All you 'tards with friends lists running into the hundreds, here's a personal memorandum: I want to hit you in the face with a spade. There is absolutely no point socially networking with people you wouldn't speak to in normal everyday life and don't really know at all - and I refuse to believe you actually know over a hundred people. I can't even remember that many NAMES, for God's sake.

The worst and most recent was the girl who worked at the corner shop in the village next to my home village. I've spoken to her twice in my life. GTFO, girl! You can't possibly be that desperate!

(She wasn't, either. Hasn't spoken to me once since I accepted the invite; DELETED!)

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I refuse to even sign up to Facebook, as i find it downright creepy.

I don't want ANY personal info gathered in one easily searchable place on the internet.

As for keeping in touch with "friends". If they can't find me in real life, they can FOAD for all I care!

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

You clearly don't understand or appreciate how to use facebook then. I have ~240 friends, and apart from ~60 who are on my 'restricted' list, I've interacted with all of them more than I would if I didn't have instant access to their contact details, so how does that make facebook a bad thing? Are you saying I'm a 'tard for actually doing something in my life and needing to interact with people?

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Yeah ya freaking social tard, don't have a life, have no people you talk to

/sarcasm

I have hundreds on my friends list, ones that I talk to semi regulary, keep in contact with. The whole point about social networking is to keep in contact with people, maybe not every day, or even every week, but letting them know you still exist.

8. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

As a rule of thumb I only add people I would like to stop and talk to in the street if I walked past them.. and I only accept friend requests from people I would speak to it they stopped and spoke to me in the street...

What I really don't get is people I add me I ignore them and then 3 months later they add me again... do these people not understand that I really don't want to be there friend...

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If i followed that rule i'd have next to no one on my list... Oh hang on i do....:waah:

/anti social git wanders off grumbling..

10. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Agree ..

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I look at Facebook very negatively, because I see it going the way of Myspace (Multinational corporation in control my details regarding my interests and methods of contacting me? No thanks).

Were I on it, though, I wouldn't add people I hadn't met, because I know a lot of people on that kind of site judge each other by how many 'friends' they have, which is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I'd rather not be a pawn in somebodies collection for dick waving, were I on the site.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

lmao hahaha I also tried :D

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Facebook is blocked on my personal network. Get a life.

14. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Right, I've had enough of this rubbish. Facebook is a useful tool for keeping in touch with people. I use facebook to keep in touch with a large number of friends and acquaintances, spread through all the places I've been throughout my life. I've got around 450 friends on Facebook, and I get rid of people I can't see myself ever talking to again regularly. I remember all their names (by which I don't mean I could list them, but that I bumped into them I would know their name and stop for a chat). If you don't talk to this many people, that's totally fine by me. But quit making rude comments about people that want to keep in touch with their friends and acquaintances. I'm going to refrain from retaliating, but goddamn am I tempted right now.

The bottom line is, if you don't like it, no one's forcing you to use it.

15. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

This is seriously a non-issue. If I get a friend request from someone I never liked, or dont even know, I'll ignore it. Also, I choose to get to know people before I add them (good chat over at least two meetups, etc). That way, you know it is more than a friend request for the sake of it.

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I dont use facebook or have any intention of doing so, I just dont see the point.
    The people i lost touch with when i was school, college etc, i lost touch for a reason If i wanted to keep in touch then i would have tried harder at the time, Ive moved on got new friends and i hope all my "previous" friends are doing well. The important mates of which i only have a few are very close to me and no doubt always will be.

But i dont need a website to keep me upto date on what there doing.

17. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

I hate it. I absolutely loathe it. Yet because seeing as every man and his dog of a girlfriend are on it and being at university I have no choice but to succumb to it, as most people organise nights out on there more than anywhere else. And why the hell does anyone need to put 500+ drunken pictures of themselves on view to most people they've every had a conversation with (aka everyone that adds you). I recently asked my older sister who's in her last year at uni and has used facebook for years - "What's so good about it?" Her only reply : "It's excellent for stalking people".

Now I have this little time passing game of mine called Legal Bullets, where I imagine that I have 3 bullets and immunity from morality and law. The first of these bullets has Russell Brands name on it, as I can't think of a human who I despise as much as him. The second of these bullets belongs to the founder of facebook, right after he came up with the idea. The third has yet to be decided

18. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Hehe, been there! Though for anyone else I dont mind, imagine if your at work or some place and someone comes up to you and start talking what do you do? If you're not an ass you be polite and talk back right? That's generally how friends are made, so try to see this in the same light.

19. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

wow this got hugely off the specific topic, but eh, w/e

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Well, the title is "Facebook" and we're still talking about Facebook and little else, so technically we're very on-topic :D