1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Eee PC 1008HA 'Seashell' netbook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks deeply impressive - good battery-life for a 3-cell too!

Not keen on the finger-print-magnety gloss black finish...

3. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for the aluminium one... plastic computers are so last season.

4. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Nice bit of kit but,if you hunt around you'd probably find it cheaper or a better spec dual core laptop for not much more

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really am impressed with this, I would snap one up if I didn't own a Dell Studio 15.

6. DaMightyMouse

DaMightyMouse What's a Dremel?

I agree and the fact that the battery is not removable is a big draw back...

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

that weighs 1.13kg?

8. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

these netbooks are still :

1) Under powered thanks to the paltry atom cpu which in real terms is about as powerful as a 5 year old original pentium M mobile chip. Its a real let down.
    2) Pathetic 'intel GMA950' graphics (unless we are talking about an ION based netbook)
    3) Rubbish screen resolutions... make it 1280x800 to make them usable.
    4) Still too expensive... for a little bit more you can get so much more computing power (sadly with extra weight though).

Im in the market for a netbook but the woeful specs keep putting me off to be honest.. not the prices.. if you need portability and just want to web browse etc (about all these things are good for)... then go buy an iphone.

I still think something like a Macbook air (or PC alternative if there is one), despite being very expensive is much better as you actually get a decent computer and it retains its portability as well.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've just received my new laptop, a ThinkPad X301, which is sub 1.5kg with both six and three cell battery (DVD drive replacement) attached. It's also 13.3in with a 1,440 x 900 screen and is good for over 8 hours of battery life in this config.

It's got a Core 2 Duo SU9400 at its heart, but it's not cheap at over £1,700 in the configuration I ordered (without an SSD).

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

C'mon guys I know this site has an international audience, but you're based in the UK, so please can we stick with UK spellings, i.e. kerb. Next thing you'll be measuring everything in lb and talking about "aluminum" cases, products launching on "June twenty-first" rather than 21 June, and inexplicably changing the letter "s" for "z" and dropping the "u" from words ending in "-our".

11. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

Highly unlikely Tim i know but,personally i would rather have a laptop with some power inside it and out up with the extra weight,But thats just me!

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1, 2, and 3 are as yet, mutually exclusive with 4.

It isn't going to happen for another 2-3 years I recon.

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Looks pretty nice, really. It's just a pity I'm such a picky bugger when it comes to screen resolution... 1024x600 is just... wince worthy. Even 1280x800 is too low. I can just cope with 1440x900, but 1680x1050 or higher is really where I'm comfortable. Which means, as much as I like these little lightweight low-power machines... I'm never buying one because of the screen.

14. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

wtf? backward slash above enter key?

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's a US keyboard layout on our review model :)

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Unless when you review the Nano it is actually reasonable. According to Trusted Reviews, Vista is a lot snappier on a Nano.

I do rather like the mini-displayport to VGA connector underneath but if I had the computer that would be so lose within a year it would struggle to stay in.

17. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I wonder how thin Mac Book Air is? Because even my Clevo M540SR which is 20 mm thick at its thinnest point and 30 mm at its fattest point (when closed), is already being as thin as those Eee 1008HA. Is the Mac thinner than the Eee 1008HA? Oh and my Clevo M540SR notebook spec is: Pentium Dual Core T2330 (Merom 1M), VIA VN896CE, DVD-RW, 3x USB2.0, 14.1" @ 1280x800, etc.

18. Kunin

Kunin What's a Dremel?

I got a 901 shortly after they came out and found it to be great for traveling and "just in case I need my laptop". This one looked great, until you get to the part about the non-removable battery, that took it right off the list for me.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This may be the first you've seen with the N280, but Asus also released the slightly (2-3months) older 1000HE with the same CPU.

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Oh come on, it's a netbook, not a notebook, it's designed to be as low power as can be, and is designed for light multimedia, web/e-mails and light word processing. I have the NC10, and it's powerfull enough for quicktime playback and itunes, as well as firefox, msn and outlook. Today, took it to work and watched Top Gear full screen for 2 sessions (20mins + 45mins) and still had over 3 hours. It even plays Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and Red Alert 2 without issue, but it's certainly not designed for anything more.

The screen would look nasty if it were 1280*800, but 1024*600 is fine.

Sam

Tags: Add Tags