1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics [Tweak tool] NV GPU Pro for Nvidia graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 8 Apr 2009.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

1- I don't know why you are so obsessed with Crysis... you need 3 Geforce 280 SLI to be able to run this game ALMOST smoothly... forget it!
    2- It's not even a good game. Watch pixar animation movies they are more impressive. Or go outside you can't beat realism as the real stuff.
    3- No your GPU on your laptop is not 3x SLI Geforce GTX 280.. it's just a gefocre 9300 that you can OC it. Yes it plays Crysis in medium low settings but higher texture (compensates, and give more realist graphics).
    4- Your geforce 250 that you want to buy... heck even the 600$ Canadian 280 GTX is not powerful enouth to play Crysis at high settings smoothly.

All your doing is aiming for a big disappointment, and look like an idiot.

As for your system problem:
    1- XP does not support SATA/eSATA
    2- probably the SATA drivers was installed BEFORE Windows XP was installed
    3- Get Vista 64-bit. Pick up the phone and call Dell and request Vista 64-bit disk to use your 4GB of RAM. If you are extra nice, they will give it to you for free.
    4- Errors of the HDD indicate that the previous owner damaged the HDD. Contact Dell via phone or chat for a new HDD.

Dell buisness tech support is SUPERB! Not only they are from or ner where you live, but will do everything to make you satisfy. I read a story of someone who had the Latitude E6400, and had 1 dead pixel. Dell only covers your screen if you have 10 or dead pixel. He got his screen replaced easily. And of you have Next Buisness Day on SIte (in Canada Del gives it to you for 3 years with the 3 year warranty), then all you do is nothing. A professional contract technique comes at your place when you (start next buisness day) want at the time you want, to perform the repair, and leaves with the old part that he will return to Dell. And any damage done by hom, (even scratches) is covered by Dell.

I can't believe you are willing to trough all this away for a bad game with nice graphics. And a matte screen on laptops is freaking hard to find as they are really expensive to produce, and not worth it for the average consumer That is why Home level laptops, it's glossy mania on the screen. Because the screen is glossy, they don't need to do anything with the LCD. But on a matte screen, it's more expensive as they try to compensate for the reduction of vivid colors and view angle. That is why it's only in buisness class machine you find non glossy screen.
    And it has metal hinges which makes the screen hinge not breakable, and doesn't do wobble land like the Toshiba's and HP's.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2009
  2. giggedyguy

giggedyguy What's a Dremel?

I agree that Dell support is great. But all my chat techs haven't been from inside the US, which is okay with me. They are all nice to deal with. I had parts replaced twice before I had the whole system replaced.

But you're mistaken about XP not supporting Sata. Dell itself is the one that installed XP on the 6500 (they now even fully support XP x64, which was wholly ignored for the last several years). The trick is to set the Sata mode before you install your OS, irregardless of which version of windows you are running (that's straight from the Dell setup manuals). The errors had to do with the Esata port itself behaving incorrectly, anyway, no my OS. As soon as I disabled the port all the internal hard drive problems went away! I started a whole dialogue with their tech guy about that one issue alone and he agreed with me. Pardon me while I pause to pat myself on the back..eh, hem...

I have a rocking 22" LCD screen (I'm close to upgrading it, though). Anyway, (don't be mad) I traded the laptop (which could easily be mistaken for a small tank) for a Quad desktop system which was worth 2 months of pay and could easily be mistaken for a flying saucer! I gave the laptop to a guy who services computers (and likes Cryis, too :D ) and needed a laptop, in fact never owned a laptop. He has 3 desktop systems of his own just sitting in his home office, all with the latest and best hardware money can buy (he's never satisfied with his hardware, either :geek: ), and there's a computer in every room of his house (he's got kids). Funny things was, we were stuck in exactly the same spot on Cryis when I met him! We've so much in common in our tastes in hardware, software, games and Operating Systems, it's just uncanny. He's in his 50's, so gaming isn't just for the young, which I am not.

I'm running Crysis on the highest settings all around on ONE GTX 280 (BF is the manufacturer) and I have no lag. And it's as satisfying as Half Life! As the newest and best games come out I'll already be set up for them. Though X3 Terrain Conflict is probably my next project. Some people like wood whittlling, some people like video games.

I am running Server 2008 Standard (the Feb 2008 release, not the new timebomg they call a release candidate). My new friend was delighted when I handed him the new Windows 7 RC. I'm not totally sold on it or Server 2008 R2, as I found several glitches in common right off the get go, so "candidate" is definitely an appropriate qualifier. I actually had less trouble with the first Win7 Beta!!!

Anyway, my system is VERY responsive and stable all around. My High-def movies are suddenly truly high-def and I can do video and audio editing at a much faster pace with my new system. I'm an audiofile and this system has 8.1 sound built-in, so I'm stoked.

I can always pick up a laptop on the cheap if I ever want to go mobile (and trade up, even!) I only paid $250 for my dell latitude and they replaced that with the 6500 (just shows how nice they really are). Believe me, I know the value of the the 6500, but it doesn't serve my purpose anymore. I would have dropped it, anyway, as I'm HIGHLY accident prone! :lol: If I haven't hit my head today, I haven't woken up yet!

3. GoodBytes

That is what I mean. Vista/Win7 doesn't need for you to install the SATA drivers before Windows. It's already natively supported. And if it's not supported due to a lack of drivers, it uses standard commands to communicate with it. And with Vista/Win7 lack of drivers being tie-in, like XP, the drivers can be properly install anytime. Under XP, if you do this, it doesn't really do it. Dell uses an image when the laptop is built.. that image contains WinXP with the SATA drivers installed before Windows XP was.

Well you didn't fix the problem.. you just ignored it. Under Vista/Win7 you don't have to do this, as the OS support the hole SATA thing.

4. giggedyguy

giggedyguy What's a Dremel?

Obviously, under normal circumstances Vista (or my case, Server 2008) would be superior to XP for driver support. However, Dell had gone out of its way to provide proper drivers for the e6500, even for XP. The hardware instructions made no mention of XP needing the ACHI mode to be installed prior to installing it, only that "the OS" needed it. Other words, is wasn't an issue they thought specific to XP. But you're probably right.

What we established in our support chat was that the port was failing to handle 2-way data flow (it did fine one-way) and that it was something that had to be handled either by the next bios or possibly firmware update (the external Sata drive was my may concern at the time). Then again, the ACHI mode was harming the internal Sata drive as well. This probably would not have happened under Vista SP2, obviously.

Anyway, it was a great piece of machinery, but I got something that was more appropriate to what I am currently doing--using my computer as an Entertainment Center and nothing more, sans the multimedia editing. I bet I can get another e6500 CHEAP if I ever wanted another. I have that kind of luck with computers.

5. e60.deluxe

e60.deluxe What's a Dremel?

can this be configured to lock the GPU in the lowest clock setting while on battery and use powermizer when on AC?

6. GoodBytes

[edit]
    Sorry miss understood you.
    So you want PowerMizer to be enabled when on battery but only use the lowest speed, and use what is needed when on A/C. Correct?
    That is the normal behavior of Nvidia PowerMizer, it does just that when completely enabled (first option of the program, under the PowerMizer section)

7. e60.deluxe

no it doesnt. not on my 8400m gs. even when on battery, the gpu will start off at 169mhz, then the gpu will go to 400mhz if you fullscreen youtube, watch videos in any media player, or even if you mess with some of the aero functions too many times in a short period. the worse part is if you maximize a window or two and shoot it up to 400mhz, it takes like 2 min for it to come down to 275mhz, and then another 2 or 3 to get it down to 169mhz.

the main disadvantage is that it seriously reduces your dvd (disc or pre ripped) playing time, which is something important enough to enough people that its included in pretty much every battery life benchmark...

Last edited: 24 May 2009
  8. GoodBytes

Interesting, because on my test laptop, and from a person who I trust test laptops (4 different one) we did not have this issue. When we went to battery mode, the GPU refused to go any higher.

It could be that we have a newer version of PowerMizer, or it's just like that for your GPU for a certain reason.

Ah, just a thought, if you fully enable PowerMizer using my tool, do you still have this problem?
    What if you uninstall your video card drivers, then you restart your computer and install the latest drivers and restart again. Do you still have that problem?

(I just want to see if it is my tool fault, or really just your GPU).

9. e60.deluxe

ok its working now. i misunderstood you. when i first asked the question, i hadnt tried your tool yet, then you said the first option of your tool works just like powermizer should..i thought that to mean the first option of your tool is the same as nvidia's default, not using your tool at all...

everything works as i wanted with first option of your tool. thanks much..

10. GoodBytes

AWESOME! I am glad it worked :D

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009
  11. GoodBytes

Hello!
    I have 2 big announcements which I am really exited to share with your guys.
    The first is Nv GPU Pro 2.0. With the great success of Nv GPU Pro and encouraging words by everyone, I decided to continue the development of this software for the longest as I can. To help me do so, I had to rewrite the hole core of my software for easier to update support for coming up drivers and add new and interesting features to the program.

What new?
    • New - User interface with better OS integration.
    • New - Backup system.
    • New - Basic system information panel.
    • New - Donate button.
    • New - Support for 186 series drivers.
    • Improved - Detection of supported video cards.
    • Improved - Detection of system type and operating system.
    • Improved - Performance increase.
    • Improved - Uses ~23% less memory.
    • Fixed - PowerMizer bug fix on 18x and 16x drivers, where settings where not being applied.
    • Fixed - Minor bug fixes with the override system.

To continue with the great quality of the software, I have no choice to drop support for Microsoft Windows 9x, Me, NT3.x and NT4. However, I believe that this should affect anyone. For those who are affected, you can still download version 1.1

The second announcement is the release of Nv GPU Pro website.

http://www.nvgpupro.com

One place to for you and me to share the latest release of Nv GPU Pro, release beta versions, present what is the software better, and provide better support of the software, as well as overclocking, just general system technical problems help and more via the new forum.

I also now accept donations via the website

I hope you enjoy the new site, forum and most importantly the new release of Nv GPU Pro.

Download Nv GPU Pro 2.0 Build 624

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nice feature! :lol:
    :waah: (not really)

The program isn't of use to me, but that's a nice looking site you've designed, by the way!

13. GoodBytes

Yes, making that button took years of development. It all started with a dream..... :p

Thanks a lot! :D It took 7 drafts, but I think it was worth it.

14. X3lectric

X3lectric What's a Dremel?

SLI compatibility

Hi

thx for this nice little tool, well the part that works of it anyways.

It detects my Video cards just right which they are a 9800m GT in SLI disabling the powermizer seems to have no effect on second Video Card regardless of being in SLI or not to begin with, so I only get one card clocked up in 2D to 500mHz :rock: while the other remains on 200 :wallbash:

I registered on your forum and posted similar but im not sure which forum your most active since I found your tool via this post...

So heres hoping there is a fix and that I can finally kick these cards in the backside.

Thx for the most promising tweak tool this side of the century. I was gob smacked to find it :jawdrop:

Im on a dell XPS M1730 with dual 9800M GT's 1GBDDR3 and Vista Sp2 4GB

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Chap little problem for me and your app.

I run both a GTX280 and Quadro FX3450 in my system, using the display properties to switch between adapters making either one a primary display depending on task at hand.

In order to get the quadro to work i had to use the Quadro driver (duh) 185.85 if i remember, and before installing it, entered information into the nv4_disp.dll so it would install my GTX280.

I was very much surprise at how well its worked for me, just means whilst i run this setup i have to rewrite my driver pre installing it.

Now due to this custom driver, your app dosen't work for me, saying that its unsupported for my system, i was hoping to use your app to slow down my GTX280 as i mainly use the quadro. Thus saving on the electricity bill by a few pennies, but all that can help, helps.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know this isn't what this thread is about, but have you tried RivaTuner Burnout? It sounds like it probably won't work, but it could be worth a try.

17. GoodBytes

To SLI users:
    Well due to a lack of funds, I don't have SLI to test my software (that is why I am dependent on donations (I have a Geforce 6600GT, but can't afford another one). I was expecting this problem since day 1. Luckily, I have a friend which has the same GPU as one I have (GTX 260), and ready to help. However, he is now on vacation, and I am waiting for his return, next week.

@Burnout21, I will try to see if I can replicate your problems and look into it.

To all that have any issue with my program:
    Can you export a copy of the registry segment (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Video) of your registry and post it here, or by PM me, or by sending it to me?

To export a copy of the registry segment (all Windows):
    - Press Win key + R, a box will open.
    - In that box, type in: regedit and hit the Enter. If you are under Vista or Windows 7 you may be prompted to continue, do so, by hitting the "Yes" button.
    - Now, on the left column, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Video
    - Right-click on the "Video" on the left column, and select "Export", from there set it's name and path where you want to save it.
    - Once done, just send me the file with your preferred way.
    Please note that, your registry was not modified in any way by doing the step above.

Thank you for your time in doing this, and helping me out in finding a solution to the problem.
    I send a beta versions to all who helps related to the problem, and give a password to access all the betas for ever, to those who donated 10$ or above.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012
  18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

19. GoodBytes

Presenting a new version of NvGPUPro!
    Version 2.0 Build 628

What is new?
    • New - Support for 190 series drivers.
    • Improved - Backup system.
    • Improved - Support the Quadro FX 770M.
    • Fixed - License Agreement for first time users.
    • Fixed - "Change destination" button in backup feature.

This version still doesn't support multiple GPU and SLI setup. I can reassure you that it is the works. :D

Download Latest NvGPUPro.

If you enjoy this software, and want to continue it's development, please donate. I try my best to avoid any ads, toolbar, or junk of any kind on the software and on the website. I sure do hope I can keep it this way. And the only way I can achieve this is from your contributions.

ANY donation is appreciated. Click here to Donate.
    For different donation methods other than credit card, please e-mail me at: [​IMG].

Remember that once you donated in total 10$ or over, you will gain access to the beta release of the software.

Thank you very much.
    And thank you again to all whom already donated.

20. GoodBytes

Well it's been some time, since a new release was done for Nv GPU Pro. On this beautiful day, I am exited to present you with a new release of Nv GPU Pro, and updated website!

Nv GPU Pro 2.1 Build 107 Feature cool new features!

What's new?

- Multiple GPU system support (up to 2).
    If your system has 2 Nvidia graphic cards, you can tweak both of them individually to best fit your needs.​

- 196 and 197 driver series support.

- View Windows Experience Index (WEI) benchmark details (Vista/Win7)
    You can now view the detail benchmark scoring of Windows Experience Index providing more meaning to the WEI score. The scoring information can be saved and printed to help comparing drivers or for quick overclock benchmark.
    Here is an example. This feature is also available from Nv GPU Pro even on systems that does NOT have an Nvdiia graphic card.​

- Check for update
    This feature will inform you of new beta and official releases with a simple mouse click.​

- New backup and restore system.
    This improved feature backups the entire driver configuration including your game profiles set in the Nvidia Control Panel to help you restore these after a Windows re-installation, or system transfer.​

- Improved system scanning system.
    Now caches system scans in itself for faster scanning at next run. The system is smart enough to detect if Nv GPU Pro has changed systems from where it will execute a full scanning, and re-caching. Making it ideal as a portable application (works on USB memory stick and disks directly from them).​

and more!
    View full release note

Screen shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out this page for a whole set of additional screen shots of the new Nv GPU Pro.

What's new for the Web site?

- New section called Release Candidate has been added for Nv GPU Pro contributors (see site for details).

- Improved look, and now in PHP.

- The new website feature a new log-in system for contributors, which allows them to:
    • see all their contributions to Nv GPU Pro, easily access to beta, release candidate, and archive sections.
    • Choose if they want or not to show their contribution publicly with additional privacy features linked to this (show name or custom nickname, show/hide contribution)
    • Decide if they want to receive e-mail notification on new release of Nv GPU Pro.
    • And, In addition to all this, contributors can finally change their passwords to what they like.

For my contributors, an e-mail notification and information about the new system will be sent to you tomorrow.

See it all at: http://www.nvgpupro.com

Download

Thank to all bit-tech'ers and others who contributed and your thank you all for your great feedback! I could have not done it without your help! :)

Last edited: 16 May 2010