1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI solves Nvidia GTX 200 squealing problem

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

The squealing is annoying, but not so bad that I feel compelled to buy a new card! It's nice to know the squealing is normal though!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Couldn't some enterprising person just put an AC-filter onto an 8-pin PCI-e connector? Or is it actual load fluctuation rather than just interference?

4. a1h

a1h Xeon Gamer

The Squealing i get comes and goes, BUT WHEN IT COMES ITS LOUD! first time i heard it i thought it was the fire alarm.

5. robyholmes

robyholmes I'm under your desk...

I would have thought different PSU's would alter it too? Do they?

6. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

my computer squeals, but I don't have a GTX200 series graphics card. If I do a bit of backwards thinking, (GTX200 -> GTX250 -> 9800GTX -> 8800GTS 512) then could my squealing be that?

Silly Nvidia for letting this go though. Is there any chance of it killing anything?

7. Mach1.9pants

Mach1.9pants What's a Dremel?

My GTX280s don't squeal often, just before each section of 3dMark06 starts for 1 or 2 secs, not loud. I haven't noted in any game just 3dMark... weird.

8. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

my 4870x2 does it too.... mainly in game menus (Stalker i'm looking at you)

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I've not heard any squealing from my 4870X2... can't say I'm sorry about that, given how insane the squeal my 8800GT had when loaded drove me.

Denial seems to be fairly common. Chances are they didn't even try it until you sent them solid data. :(

Still, if MSI have a card that is guaranteed not to squeal... that is a good thing.

10. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

My 8800GT's squeel very bad once I put a large load on them. Even more so when they are at a 800meg core lol.

11. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

MSI seem to be on a roll recently. Good for them. :)

Would be very interested in the 275 if features match the price (like better cooling) and its not out too late.

12. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Never heard any squeeling on my xfx 260 black edition card. Its fans are a bit loud though when they rev up, but nope.. no squeels !

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

My 8800GTX squeals like a pig when I play certain games drives the dog nuts!

14. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

i've almost come to think of it as normal, my X800 Pro VIVO not so much squealed but growled and hummed when it was loaded whether it was OC'd or not and had an ATI Silencer fitted.

Now my 4870 does it as well but again only when loaded, i've just ignored is as something that comes with the territory but having said that the X800 has just bitten the dust with power regulation failure (it still initialises but says it needs additional power to be connected no matter what you do).

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

remember you talking about this awhile back tim.. you had it on twitter

the two power supplies I've put on and all cards since the g80 8800gtx haven't had this problem.. but heard plenty that have and there's even video of the noise

16. Breathless

Breathless What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys,

I've made a few reviews of this issue on youtube. Just search for Power supply squeal and you will likely find my reviews. The squealing is directly related to framerate. The reason some of your games do this and others don't is because some of your games have vsync enabled, and some don't. Enable Vsync on all of your games and the noise will dissapear. You hear it on 3dmark because we never enable vsync on 3dmark. If you really want to drive your nuts, make sure vsync is off and use ATI Tool artifact scanner, or the main menu in stalker.

17. Breathless

Breathless What's a Dremel?

EDIT:

"Drive your nuts" should be Drive yourself nuts. LOL

18. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I have a BFG 280 and never heard that noise even when OCing at 771 on the core and running furmark for extended periods. Maybe I do not have the problem because I am using a 1200w PC Power and Cooling psu or because I am water cooling...

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I did not have (video card being RMA'd), this problem on my BFG GTX 260 manufacture OC (not the 260 - 216 model). Well it does but only when you turn on the computer it does 2 short "bzzzzzt" noticeable only a quiet room.

20. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

Thats what used to make my X800 go crazy, when it was churning out about 130-140fps OC'd but even though it doesn't work i tried it out on my 4870 and it was the same thing.

Then again, after only a few months the heat has the sticker on the cooling solution peeling back and the fan bearing makes a nasty noise for a few seconds when it powered on from cold! (its a Sapphire 4870 512MB)

Tags: Add Tags