1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI solves Nvidia GTX 200 squealing problem

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 29 May 2009.

1. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

do GPU folding@home on one you get nice noise come fromt he GPUs

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

weird. I have never heard such a noise coming from my PC. Maybe the other components are too loud. Is the sound really distinct and annoying or is it because you all have watercooled PCs ? :D

3. eternum

eternum *blam* shotgun fanhole

The only place I've ever had it happen was the stalker menu. It's not that loud on my computer but it's definitely not a pleasant noise. I had read ages ago when this first seemed to be getting a lot of talk about it being an issue with psu's with active pfc or something and was worried my new build would squeal (had already bought the parts at the time) - I was very relieved when it didn't. I feel sorry for anybody that has this problem a lot, since even though it's quiet for me, the sound just grates and I have to get out of the menu as fast as I can before it drives me nuts.

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

I have an Inno3D GTX280 on air at the moment, and have never heard the squeal. I turn V-sync off in all my games. I have had it running off a Thermaltake Toughpower 750w and currently a Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w. I wonder if some cards are more susceptible than others?

5. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

I would appreciate more info on this:

* How likely is this problem to occur in a given build?
    * Which parts or part combinations are more likely to have this problem? And how likely would such a potentially problematic combination be to actually having quality issues that cause the noise?
    * Which parts or combinations can be safely relied upon? (i.e. is there a power supply with some kind of extra filtering, avoiding the problem, a whole brand of unaffected graphics cards, etc?)
    * Is there some kind of filter that could be installed into a troubled system, to better condition the signal and avoid the problem? If so, would this create other issues for the system? (e.x. would messing with the power going to the graphics card create instabilities, etc.)

Getting solid answers on the above would make for an excellent article!

Thanks!

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

so its common.. ok then.. nothing to worry about then. I have a 9600GT that does it sometimes..

7. bredmaker

bredmaker What's a Dremel?

i have this problem also. i have a new build just put together a few days ago and im trying to figure out what the hells going on.
    every time i start a 3d app i get some really bad squeeling coming from the psu. the game runs for about 2 minutes then crashes. after this the squeeling stops obviously. I dont know if its the card of the psu. i cant run any 3d app :(

XFX GTX 260 black edition
    powercool 750w psu
    4gb ddr2
    amd phenom 9550

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If it's the PSU, than that is aging capacitor, that means prepare yourself to RMA it or buy a new one. If it's the video card... then well I guess you can RMA and hope the new won't have the problem.

You can hear form which component it comes from by sticking your ear on each device.
    It can also be the motherboard.

9. Burner27

Burner27 What's a Dremel?

I disagree with your statement about the PSU. I recently purchased a Corsair HX850 and it makes a buzzing noise. I thought it was defective. I received my replacement which was also brand new and it too makes the noise still.

It has to be the video card. Some sort of feedback on the powerlines.

10. GodsouL

GodsouL What's a Dremel?

PPL! SOLUTION FOUND!

The problem is that the GPU is giving a LOT of FPS so, just limit them...

HOW?!?!?!

Vertical sync.

Go to nvidia's control panel and force on vertical sync and also turn on Tripple buffering and you are done.

O btw... my Graphic card is a BFG Geforce 260 gtx and tested this on a 500 watts and 650 watts PSU.

Good luck to you all!

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

bit of an bump

problem is vsync makes in game input lag in a lot of games id prefer to have on screen tearing and the noise

Tags: Add Tags