1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The iPhone 3GS - You can't beat them, so join them, but you can still hate them...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 Jun 2009.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I got my iPhone 3G in March, so an 18 month contract brings me to just after the release of the next model (if there is one, though it seems fairly consistent)

What I want to know with respect to tethering, is how O2 will differentiate between data used on the Phone, and data used through a laptop? Will they also be able to differentiate between data used for tethering on a Jailbroken phone?

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

All I can say is XDA-Developers.com forums. Even if you're not comfortable with reflashing/cooking ROMS, there are still ways of speeding performance up.

FWIW, I went from a TyTN II to a Touch Diamond, and I found the TyTN II to be much more responsive & slick than the Diamond ROMs I've seen so far! Had to get rid of the bulk, though...

The screen on the Touch HD looks amazing - the resolution is utterly incredible :jawdrop:

There won't be a difference, even with a jailbroken phone - the phone handles all of the data communication, so all your laptop sees is a network connection. Similarly at O2's end, all they'll see is data traffic.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2009
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

EDIT: Doublepost.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2009
  4. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

... I think I just died a little inside.

Seriously, am I the only one who scoffs at the suggestion that the iPhone is a 'smartphone'?

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

it wasn't, initially. but they fixed a bunch of the issues stopping it from being called that. so yes, it's a smart phone.

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I still think contracts are poo. Why not just buy the phone you need and pay for it as you use it, compared to paying monthly installments that will roughly equal more but limit you to a provider or model that might become unsuitable for you if circumstances, firmware or policies change? PAYG internet etc may be a bit costly, but on the otherhand I've never seen anyone use it for more than an occasional google map or email check.

The iPhone is a good phone - but you really have to question whether you (Ant) really need the features enough to pay £540 for them (or £30ish for 12 months, if you prefer). The OS is nice and the games are cool and all that, but do you NEED those features in a phone, really? If not then you may as well find a different phone for cheaper that gives you the features you do need and consider picking up an iPod touch for the nice OS, games and extras at a fraction of the price IMHO.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

except a 32gb ipod touch actually costs more than a 32gb iphone on contract...
    fair enough you don't like contracts and are more of a PAYG user. that tells me you just don't use your phone that much anyway. in which case any smartphone (or indeed the iphone) is wasted on you; you're not the target audience.

8. sear

sear Guest

Can someone please explain to me what happened to mobile phones and portable media players while I wasn't looking?

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

My given reason for not buying apple is that they tend to make life very easy provided you're happy doing things the way his Steveness wants you to do them.
    Windoze gives you a bit more freedom in this regard, linux even more so.

My real reason for not buying apple is a bit more prosaic, simply, my flatmate is a rabid apple fanboi and there's no way I'd ever live it down if I bought something appley...
    (I swear he asks me at least once a week if I'd consider buying an iPhone)

oh, that and I like having a different phone to everyone else.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I fully expect the 3GS to bomb badly. Why? Because everyone who bought an iPhone3G is still tied into their contract. Few people (especially now) are going to be able to buy out the last six months of their contract and then buy the new phone as well.

In essence, O2 have by default removed all the current iPhone users from their potential sales pool. Which I imagine would be 80% of the potential users. How many people who want an iPhone haven't got one already? And of those people, how many are willing to spend such a massive amount?

I predict very poor sales personally.

11. kaujazz

kaujazz What's a Dremel?

Nice
    I want that iPhone!

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

very well written blog article. most people don't realise it, and talks about hating the very nice Apple products while they are actually hating the ultra agressive PR machine.

in terms of iPhone, IMHO it's a fantastic iPod touch with phone and camera stuck-on. i use it on Vodafone PayG and only use wifi when avaliable. it's a very cheap path without having to carry around 5 gadgets.

iPhone 3GS looks great, if only it's on vodafone....... (need vodafone family or i die of lack of phone calls)

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Apple happened.

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I've been tempted by an iphone., or similar so many times, but I really can't justify the ludicrous expense. I don't NEED internet on my phone, or itunes integration, or apps for everything, or a google maps. I have superior devices for them all - an Archos 605 for video playback (and it does it all without reencoding!), a Sansa Clip for audio playback with incredible quality, and a Tom Tom for in car sat nav services. You can get most of the Iphone's features (bar the app store and itunes integration) on a cheapo Nokia.

I'll stick with My Nokia E51, and will likely upgrade to a smiliar Nokia E-Series handset when the time comes. And i'll pay nowt for my phone and just £20 a month.

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

That's just the thing. With this new, 32GB iPhone 3GS, the only change they need is a proper camera (my Nokia N82 is practically unbeatable in this area) and I'd swap all my devices for it.
    * My phone + camera, (I don't use a full-size camera, I would always forget to bring it)
    * GPS built-into the iPhone (hence why I don't need one currently, as N82 has GPS)
    * With the 32GB model I could carry all my music, negating the need for my iPod Touch as well.
    It would solve everything, but alas, good cameras is not what they stick in 'high-end' phones. It makes me sad.

Also: even PAYG iPhones (on O2) come with unlimited internet as part of the deal. So you only pay for calls and texts. Sounds like a winner to me. If only for that camera..

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Very true. All I've heard is that 02 will make you pay the rest of your contract to be able to upgrade. Seems silly to release the 3GS so early - if they'd released it in 6 months time when everyone's 18 month contracts were coming to an end, they'd be laughing.

Still, while initial sales will likely slump, the number of units shifted in two years time will probably still be massive as everyone who has an iPhone or iPhone 3G will probably want to upgrade.

17. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

Some people seem to enjoy swallowing whatever is shoved down their throat by advertising and marketing.

18. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

At that rate, people are going to start calling Macs 'real computers'.
    Pffft, yeah right :lol:

19. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

iPhone 3G S still can't even do MMS. Seriously, what phone these days CAN'T receive multimedia messages via text? Honestly. And I'd bet you my G1 that when MMS finally hits Apple, all the news presses and tech blogs will be heralding the update as the second coming as if the feature has never been used before prior. I've tossed my lot in with Android and HTC.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2009
  20. SiG

SiG What's a Dremel?

You're also forgetting the bluetooth issue :lol:

Tags: Add Tags