1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs The iPhone 3GS - You can't beat them, so join them, but you can still hate them...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 10 Jun 2009.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

sigh, if you're going to go down that bigoted route it's pretty obvious that it's not worth debating the issue. suffice to say that in my job as a researcher at university, all three major operating systems are used heavily by all staff members.

Last edited: 11 Jun 2009
  2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Shall I send you my address then? Could do with a back-up phone ;).

MMS is part of the new v3 software (for 3G and 3GS). It was hailed as "something that should have been there but wasn't, but is now. So that 's nice."

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

bluetooth file transfers, MMS, stero bluetooth and global-search are all part of OS v3.

and with a bit of hacking, im sure the original iPhone will also be able to do MMS and stero bluetooth.

4. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

5. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

6. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

it's the cheapest contract which is absolutely ridiculous. 30 quid a month for 18 months, 100 quid for the cheapet phone and that gives you 75 minutes a month and a 125 texts! what a joke. although you do get unlimited internet.
    however i get unlimited internet, 300 mins, 100 texts and a free phone worth a few hundred quid all for 17.50 a month...
    that's what happens when people want to keep your business. the iphone needs to be available on other networks then you would be able to get it for a sensible price, as long as 02 have the exclusive you're going to have to pay dearly for the priviledge of having one.
    and for the record i don't particularly like the way apple operate but i would like an iphone and i do have an ipod or two

7. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

When it comes to PCs I build my own. If I need a laptop I buy Acer. If I need a phone I check Samsung first, then other competing smart phones. I'm considering getting a blackberry pearl for the small size and huge feature set.

The problem with apple products is they forget what people actually use these devices for. The original iPod was meant to play music, which it did terribly. I could have found better sound quality by shoving my head of the business end of a yak.

If my phone can get to google, youtube, and bit-tech, all while making calls in a fast and simple manner, what the hell else do I need it for? I've got a tiny, nice camera. I use my cell phone for when I see funny **** that I want a picture of, not to take shots of my vacation. If I need to do anything past "dude check out this youtube vid" or "what's the address to that thai place?" then I've got an acer aspire one, which I adore, coupled with my MiFi there's no comparison.

I will not pay top dollar to use a mish-mashy half-assed device and pay actual real money to run that device on AT&T's gloriously shitty network. No thanks, I'll keep my Palm/Samsung/Blackberry and stay with Sprint 3G and EVDO, and I'll only pay about $25 (that's what? £13?) a month.

iPhones are the incarnation of the word "gimmick."

8. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

The way I consider Apple's products is thus:

they are designer products. If you walk into a designer clothes outlet, you pay £150 for a jacket that could be had for £15 at a bargain basement. Or you could get something for £60 from a outdoors supplies shop that would be more effective in its purpose (to keep you warm and dry).

The problem is, everything about consumer products these days from the food we eat, to the clothes we wear, to the computers and phones we use - are all sold on marketing and that 'feel good' factor. You know, when you buy something and it makes you feel like you are inside this trendy lifestyle? When you sit in an overpriced coffee shop in a town and buy a fancy coffee and cake and sit there feeling sophisticated? That's all manufactured (whether intentionally or not).

The bottom line though, is this isn't a bad thing. If businesses and entrepreneurs can find ways to make their customers feel good, and in doing so can add a premium onto the price of their product and sell it for more than it's material value, well everyone's a winner. The business gets a hefty profit margin, and the consumer feels awesome.

You can't say you've come across some mac fan who when splurging the best part of £1000 on a new macbook, isn't over the ****ing moon! How do you quantify that 'glee' that they got from buying a mac? Say it would cost £750 to make them *that* happy through other means. But the next cheapest computer that does the same job is £500. Which means if they get the cheapest computer, they need to pay an extra £750 to go on holiday or something to feel good about themselves.

With Mac, they hit two birds with one stones. So as Steve Jobs said in his 1997 keynotes speech "Apple's most important asset, is it's brand".

9. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

^^ very well said mate!!

my phone can call people and send text messages.... aaaand I think there is a game of snakes on there as well....somewhere:rock::D
    It cost me £10 from new (on PAYG) and it just works.. battery lasts weeks and if I drop it and it breaks.. I get a new one. Sure its not the best phone in the world ever.. but it does what I need it to do.

I don't need one of those schizophrenic devices that one minute thinks its a phone, then a camera, then a GPS navigator and then a gaming platform... I need a Phone that can make and receive calls and send a sms every now and then.. that's it!

I'll admit I was looking a bit for an android phone... but solely for the geek powar of it, not cause I need it.. and ultimately I will probably not get an android phone.

Tags: Add Tags