1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Michael Jackson dies of a "cardiac arrest"

Discussion in 'General' started by thehippoz, 25 Jun 2009.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Do you honestly think Michael Jackson had no influence on rock or metal of his era nor ours?
    Rock & Metal aren't so aloof and removed from mainstream music as its fans would like to think.

MJ was an incredible musician, performer and entertainer and I really hope he'll be remembered for those qualities above everything else associated with him.

2. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

While were on the topic of pedos, guilty or not.

I bet if MJ had swapped places with Gary Glitter, was skint as f*ck and went on holiday to thailand, he wouldnt be in coma now....and gary would be a free man, with a fairground.

As Mr Neil Diamond always says "Money talks....."

3. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Well, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath or any other NWOBHM bands wouldnt exactly agree with that, there is absolutely nothing in common....IIRC jacko started using metal guitarists to write riffs for him to help sell records...i guess he couldnt play one himself

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Well im sad. I liked his music and he always seemed to be out to actually help the world, im sure alot more than some of the people on here and around the world who think they know better than a jury and judge, and a very long trial.

He has been in the media since a child, and the past few years he has been demonised daily, despite being found not-guilty etc. I hope he can rest in peace, he deserves peace after the entertainment he has bought to us all, and for all he has been through.

edit: at tynecider - OJ is in jail... whats your point ?
    edit2: at tynecider - you cant say pop has never affected you and then quote Neil Diamond in the next post ;) Continuity is the key!

Last edited: 26 Jun 2009
  5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

And you can claim to speak for them, eh?

Nope, Nothing in common, especially not the song structures, stage theatrics, usage of style and musical innovation common to both while the peers of both MJ and the NWOBHM in their respective genres appeared to stagnate.

Being a fan of rock & metal doesn't make you an expert on it and trying to claim that MJ's music has nothing in common with metal (particularly NWOBHM) then OR now just goes to show.

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

He's still alive, you've seen Thriller right?

He's just partying with Tupac and Elvis right now.

RIP

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Your avatar is another convicted pedophile!!!

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I am saddened by his death and am glad I shook his hand, got a picture with signature, and a hug from him when I met him in Romania in 1997 or so.

Rest in peace buddy, hopefully, wherever he goes, he leaves his tormented childhood behind.

9. Gunter

Gunter What's a Dremel?

+ 1

I´m pretty sad too. I liked his moves his music. Everyone who likes break music and/or Hip Hop culture must be sad today. R.I.P MJ.

10. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

OJ is in jail after his second offence (assalut iirc), he walked after his wife was murdered (the first offence)
    Neil diamond was one of my mothers favorites, and she used to use that very quote, i certainly dont listen to him, like she doesnt do iron maiden

next

Listen pal, what i do know from playing in a metal band up to club level since the age of 15 (1985), we all hated pop music, it had NO influence at all, the metal movement wasnt liked by the pop movement ever, maybe todays 'emo' styled stuff might be influenced by pop, but the musicians of the day were certainly not influenced by it (at least they claimed not to be), more like pop music was influenced by metal.

I cant speak for other musicians now, but they certainly publically spoke for themselves way back, while being completely ignored by the pop scene.
    "Rockers play instruments and pop music plays the public" was a popular term used in the scene

So, Farrah Fawcett also died today, bad time to die if your famous.

11. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

Last edited: 14 Sep 2020
  12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Perhaps you could provide a more specific definition of what you think is "pop music." That might help explain why you believe that metal/rock has nothing in common with pop.

Personally, I disagree with that opinion. An easy example would be Kirk Hammett, guitarist for Metallica. Considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time, in his early days he took private lessons from Joe Satriani. Joe Satriani was influenced by such artists as Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page, as well as Eric Clapton. Clapton has crossed a number of different genres in his day, and to categorically state that someone like him has never influenced anyone would be asinine.

Garage bands and unknown club acts may put on a hard face and claim that their music could never have anything in common with something as silly as Pop Music. But when you look at the really talented artists, you often find that they don't really care about the artificial boundaries created by genre titles.

Back on topic:
    So in the last couple weeks we've lost David Carradine, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and now Michael Jackson.

I have a feeling that the Academy Awards memorial bit is going to run long next year.

-monkey

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Clapton has stated many times that he had 2 problems with other guitar players.
    1.) They tried to impress him. Humorous.
    and
    2.) They were intimidated to play with him.

Many musicians cross differing musical styles. That's to be expected in professional growth.

MJ had a style that couldn't be defined as a single style. Different albums had different styles and influences.

MJ was like many performers - cross genre.

Mostly easy stuff to listen to but D**n was he hard to look at in the last few years.

14. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

Yes i can see a bit of confusion mounting here. hope this helps

Britain has had a TV show called Top of the Pops (since i was born at least), many many one time wonders, nothing live, 99% lip synced performances.
    (The alternative TV show for music was The Old Grey Whistle Test', which only had live performances, no lip syncing. Led zep and many others performed here, not on TOTP)
    It used to be about record sales, you sell records you get asked to go on the show.
    But once they realised that the media alone, could manipulate the sales of records it all changed. (probably before, but metal got its teeth bloody here)
    The exposure of this was the whole iron maiden/sex pistols affair
    Iron Maiden were debuting and succesfully selling independently, the 1980 self titled album.
    They were asked by the record company to adopt the emerging punk look/sound as that was what was going to be fed to the masses.
    They were asked to appear on Top of the pops, but only if they lip synced (air band), naturally they said "f*ck off to that and f*ck off to the punk scene too" they did it thier way, when they said and how they said it, per say.
    The played live, and made a c*nt out of TOTP in the eyes if the heavy metal scene.
    Iron Maiden set the stage for the Heavy metal culture and what it takes to make a heavy metal band (and no doubt, many other styles have the same outlook, EXCEPT POP)

1. Write your own Music, promote your own music
    2. Always perform live
    3. Sound live, like you did on the album
    4. Put your fans first
    5. Tour where you sell records
    6. F*ck the media, do it your way
    EDIT: 70 Million Albums worldwide in 28 years with little or no help from anyones media, same manager and most of your road crew, touring the world more that half that time to some of the most legendary rock concerts, and touring with your own 757, singer flying it, family, road crew and all your gear in the back (literally) is what metal is all about

EDIT II: Id challenge anyone to go to a metal concert and walk about telling everyone that "your are here to see the brothers of pop music"

Pop, as in the term popular.
    99% of pop music depends on one critical component...
    The media, without media pop is nothing. Its impossible to be popular without the media (so they think)

So in my eyes, michael jackson was pop beacuse he has been manipulated by the media. Maybe he was since the Jackson's???
    I don't know if they written thier own music, they certainly didn't appear to do things thier way.
    Yes, he has sold many many records, and written his own stuff, but he has still been manipulted, which is pop.
    Maybe a new word should be added to the dictionary: "Medipulated"

Lets discuss "pop" in another thread as i think a lot more can be discussed without hijacking jackos sendoff.

phew.:rock:

15. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Michael Jackson was a musical genius and influenced many artists. He was, as others have noted, a rather tortured and tragic figure. Performing since the age of five and raised as he was, I suspect it really stunted his emotional growth and caused other problems in his life.

The man may be gone, but his dance and music will remain.

16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

RIP

For most of his life he was an absolute legend. Shame how fame and fortune can end up affecting people negatively.

Maybe the sold out concerts will end up becoming tribute concerts?

17. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Too much work out ?

I read somewhere ( IMDB ) that in order to get back in shape for the scheduled London performances he had hired Lou Ferrigno ( ex bodybuilder and also the guy who played Hulk in the tv show in the '70 ). It seems Jacko was too weak for the workout schedule.
    Perhaps the hard training is also involved in his sudden cardiac problems.

Anyway RIP Micheal, your Billy Jean has the best bass track of the music history.

18. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Ummm....He's in prison.

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

20. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I share the same birthday and initials as MJ, I was shocked when I heard the news.

Thanks Michael for all your hard work, you made some brilliant, timeless music.

mvagusta likes this.