1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Alienware or dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gamergod05, 2 Jul 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamergod05

gamergod05 What's a Dremel?

wat

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Since there's been much confusion over the multi-quote feature today, I put together a handy little guide for you:

[​IMG]

Tada. Now you can quote while you quote, dawg.

KayinBlack likes this.
  3. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Sometimes it's easy as you say gamergod05, the problems I've seen are PSUs having only the exact cables needed for the current build, boards with no overclocking options in bios, reduced numbers of ram slots, etc not always a problem, but potentially.

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Their's a lot of snobbery on this forum.

Dells are fine for multi media and occasional game players.

I've had a dell for 2 and a half years and not had any problems with it.

I've read all the problems on these forums that people have had with builds and my dell has never put a foot wrong.

Their not 'hardcore gaming rigs', but they are fit for purpose, and to say their rubbish with crap components is not true.

5. gamergod05

I think i should be fine build im getting through dell and it coming with 2 gtx 285 cards so i should have no issues going to dx11 later on and i only plan on 1 dx11 card.

6. gamergod05

I know there not top of line but do you think it would be better to get alienware or would there be no real differnce besides playing for alienware brand and the case i don't see any difference in them and dell cheaper !

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

You seem to be mistaking snobbery for trying to help. All people are trying to do is help the OP get the most from what he is spending, and the only way to do that is by self building, followed by custom build manufacturers.

Either is preferable to a regular ol' box from Dell or Alienware, because at the end of the day they like to take a large chunk of your money to pad out their back pockets, which inevitably means they have to cut back in other areas (i.e. your computer).

TBH it makes no odds whatsoever. They're both as good (or bad) as each other, what with being the same company and all.

8. IDave

IDave What's a Dremel?

In my opinion Alienware PCs look cool, but are horrendously overpriced. You are basically paying over the odds for a fancy case with lots of neons built into it.

Just out of interest how old are you? Also do you think your parents know much about computers?

Do they know more about computers than you? If the answer to the last question is yes then get down to PC World and buy yourself a Dell. If the answer is no then why are you even listening to what they are telling you..... build your own!

Building your own PC is far cheaper and really easy. You get the parts that you want, no cheap substitutes - dodgy PSUs, crappy HDDs or lame motherboards, and they all come with their own warranties. If it stops working all you have to do is figure out which part is causing the problem then RMA it.

9. gamergod05

Alright so go with dell since there cheap and you said there basically same

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Gamergod05, hold off on the computer until you can convince your parents that building your own PC is really a better idea.. Do research, print out a lot of things, make some graphs, and show them that it will cost less.

11. gamergod05

Im 16 so i could easily build one but this one is going be used by alot of people so might get dell and build my own when i move out gey a job and such. I know quite a bit i know about parts well most like what best and basics of how it built i have not it though only thing i have done is install gpu.

12. gamergod05

I did IMO the reason they want it is they have had dell pc's for 5 years now and had total of 2 and they like phoning indian man when something does not work like printer or something is wrong with pc.

13. IDave

IDave What's a Dremel?

Are your parents paying for the PC?

IF so why not show them the spec of a Dell PC they like the look of, then show them how much better a PC you could build for a similar price would be.

What kind of budget are you looking at?

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I don't see your insistence with it seeing as we've all pretty much unanimously agreed it'd be better value to build your own.:thumb:

15. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Lol, Eltons hit the nail again :D

I don't want to sound like a universal Dell-basher, they can do cheap PCs that work fine for multimedia, internet, typing etc, and they have a customer help line and back to warranty which is useful.

The problem is Dell are interested in whatever makes them as many copper coins as possible. When this maps onto whats best for you, all is great! But when it doesn't, your paying Dell to save Dell money, rather than paying Dell to save you money. If you build yourself, you're always buying the very best part for any given price band.

Remember also, building a pc is just a horrendously brilliant mountain of fun! :D and you learn skills without having to pay for an I.T. course.

16. gamergod05

Wow this thread grew fast and yes there buying pc i just told them to get good gaming one so i can get into pc gaming.

17. IDave

IDave What's a Dremel?

Are they willing to spend up to £1K? If so you could build yourself a monster i7 for that, but you would be struggling to get a decent C2Q for that price prebuilt.

18. gamergod05

I said they don't want it built

19. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

**long post ahead**

i think, the best option is really to show your parents just how much cheaper it is to build your own, I'll show you the comparison below in a moment. But you also need to remind them of the extended (and free) warranties everything has, and not only that, its educational for you, and looks good on a CV (showing your a computer savvy is always good), knowing how to build and repair computers is becoming increasingly vital in todays modern tech-centric world. As well as that good feeling knowing that you put together everything.

Lets have a look at a Dell: The second one that even has 400 off!

Now lets see what we could get if we custom built.
    Samsung 23" TFT monitor
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System
    Logitech RX1000 laser mouse
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Vista Home Basic 64bit
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard
    OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU
    Samsung Ecogreen 1TB hard drive
    Corsair 64GB Solid State
    LG GH22NS40 22X SATA DVD±RW
    Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory
    Zotac GTX295
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366
    MSI X58M motherboard
    Antec 1200 twelve hundred case
    Titan Fenrir

Total Price: 1800 (including overestimated shipping costs and rounded up) Inc. VAT

Any many of those parts can be changed to whatever brand you prefer, that was more or less just throwing together whatever was on the front page of ebuyer, no special deals included at all (and possibly not best value for money). Not only that, but that includes the FULL setup, monitor, surround sound system, keyboard and mouse. Which does not come with the Dell.

20. gamergod05

Thanks guys pc has been order dell xps 730x with gt 285's sli and 1000w psu and intel i7 920 it will do fine and hope fully get me started into pc gaming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.