1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Which Version of Windows 7 to Pre-order

Discussion in 'Software' started by Promethus, 12 Jul 2009.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm tempted to pre-order and take advantage of the offers, but I fear getting stung in the long-run either by another offer closer to October 22nd or by OEM-version prices on release.

I've always bought OEM versions of Windows, never retail - I can imagine doing the same with 7.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Question: Will an english retail version of Windows 7 Pro E support foreign keyboard layouts? The RC supports my hungarian layout but that's Ultimate. I realize that multi-language UI is exclusive to Ultimate, BUT does that include keyboard support or is that something all editions have?

3. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Why?

You've missed out anyway, but it will never be as cheap as it was in the pre-order period. I mean, you can't go wrong when it's only £45. I'll eat my hat if Microsoft ever do another deal like that for 7.

And I don't see why you're so insistent on only buying the OEM version. Retail is exactly the same, but has less restrictions so actually involves a lot less hassle when it comes to upgrading etc.

The only reason why system builders buy OEM versions is that they are generally cheaper than retail, but that's not the case here, so the retail version is the all-round better buy.

4. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Al editions should have that... cant imagine that Microsoft would shoot themselves in the foot by localizing each edition. Would mean a massive extra expense.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

But they do localize Windows for every country. Not localizing it would be a bigger shot in the foot IMO, since very few users speak english well enough to understand and be able to use english OS. There's a 100% hungarian version too.

The only reason my Win7 will be english is because i wanted in on the UK pre-order deal.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2009
  6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Unless Microsoft has significantly departed from its usual practice you can rest completely assured that there's support for the Hungarian keyboard layout in Windows 7.

Personally I'd never touch a version of Windows that wasn't in the original English language, but that's probably because I've worked as a localizer for Microsoft... :)

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Thanks Azrael-.

Yeah, software localization is rubbish more often than not, but hungarian Windows localizations have been decent so far.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I may be wrong here, but as I understood it only the upgrade versions were that cheap.
    I skipped Vista and I couldn't stand to do an in-place upgrade of an OS anyway.

OEM version -> Cheaper, generally.

The significant difference is that buying the preorder means splashing out a wad of cash for something I don't get to use until October 22nd, while on that date the OEM version of W7 Professional (Full, not upgrade) will be cheaper than the retail option.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

No upgrade versions in Europe for the time being. The reason is Microsoft's forced removal of Internet Explorer. Apparently that precludes them from creating upgrade versions for the European market.

What this boils down to is that the versions on pre-order in Europe are full versions.

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sorry no..
    1- You get charge on your credit card when Windows 7 is SHIPPED to you. So you actually don't pay. And you can generally cancel pre-orders without any fees anytime until the day they shiped the product to you.

2- Based on XP, Vista prices, OEM prices is about (+- a few dollars) the same as NORMAL price of the upgrade disk.

Upgrading form XP to Vista I won't understand.. as well XP is way too old, and issues to be trusted. I was/am like you.
    But, for Vista to Win7, I don't care, as I know that Microsoft did a fantastic job at the back-end of Vista 64-bit, and that Windows 7 (NT 6.1) is based on Vista (NT 6.0).

Also, they are many ways to get a clean install of Win7 from the upgrade, based on what was said. For example: 32-bit to 64-bit, Lower your edition, or a (although no official statement on this) no currently installed OS on the system.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Damn, I hadn't thought of how the 'E' version would affect the pre-order.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Just to update the situation to all concerned:

Changes was reported by Microsoft. Microsoft is seeking into having a ballot system where the user can select the web browser which will be downloaded automatically. However, the user needs internet access.

The web browser selection will be: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome. Nha, just kidding. Microsoft said that every web browser that has over 0.5% of the market share will be in.
    Opera is STILL NOT happy, but they said it's better than nothing.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Zurechial, sounds like you missed a great bargain thanks to ignorance. Better read up on things next time :)

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No need to be offensive or patronising, I wasn't arguing with anyone.

Either way I didn't have the cash during the pre-order deal anyway, but some sites (such as Amazon) are still selling it at a slight discount.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No offense meant. I wasn't aware that ignorance became an insult. Must be the effect of YouTube comments on our society.

16. jazzzyj

jazzzyj Minimodder

The set price is still £75. Once you add in postage on amazon its the same. With play it is free postage.
    -J

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I believe there're still a few places where you can get Win 7 Pro for £90. I'd take that over Home Premium at £75.

I wonder what the AnyTime upgrade from Pro to Ultimate will be... :)

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Amazon has a SuperSaver free delivery option. I'm not sure if it works outside the UK though, just thought i'd mention it.

19. cribcoch1

cribcoch1 Old Age is a Bitch

Don't be too worried Zurechial, Windows has announced it will be selling Windows 7 Family Packs.....http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1156
    The price in the States looks quite good and hopefully it will be somewhere around that here.
    Looks a good buy if you have more than one system running, which I assume most people have these days.
    Fingers crossed.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The family pack most likely won't be available in the EU.