1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jul 2009.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

@bit-tech: You totally picked the thing apart, what the hell? For example why waste two paragraphs complaining about the plastic covers when you can just pop them out and forget about it?

There will be a solid side panel available.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Because they're casting a critical eye on a product?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

apart from the price, this case looks really good.

im a fan of Corsair after using their PSU along with their problem-free RAM. i've even being thinking about getting their new watercooling kit on my next platform upgrade.

but their watercoolers recommend intake for the fan mounted radiators, yet, their cases shows no optimum mounting point for the radiators that would change the conventional airflow of rear-top exhaust.

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Considering the price of it they better point out even minor flaws, its not like it would be some 30£ case where you can't expect much.

5. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Very nice looking case and good features but £225 is too much for a steel case imo, I think case prices have got a bit silly in the last few years.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Looks interesting. Shrink it to something about 50 cm depthwise, lose the plastic bits (I hate plastic!) and I'm sold.

7. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Shame it hasn't been future-proofed with USB 3.0 ports as opposed to USB 2.0 ones.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Its interesting to look at the alternatives to this case.

[​IMG]

Now thats insane, £342 for the Lian Li X2000 which is the only other case that really grabbed me as a great monolithic elite high end case. From what I understand of the 800D review the case is great but needs a fix for the air intake which could be done by with a bit of DIY, or we can wait for a soild side pannel which could include a suitable air vent? Dependant on if Corsair provide that.

Can't CPC put the case through the case temp testing box with infrared air flow like before? And fully load the drive bays etc and see if the air intake really does need attention?

Your saying there is an issue with the HDD air intake but is there? how do you know the air flow is limited or lacking, did you stress test it?

This case needs a PROPER review with PROPER answers about these points with temps.

Correct?

Last edited: 27 Jul 2009
  9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Meh. I'll wait for the review, but at this price I can't imagine myself buying anything other than an ATCS 840.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Very nice look, I like the Matte black finish.
    Don't like the side Window too much.

All the air intakes seem to come from the bottom of the case, just like a vacuum cleaner. No and No.
    I don't mind front intakes as long as they are unlit. No bling LED's....

Its a shame its too expensive for very little innovation.

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That looks pretty nice I must say. Not a big fan of the side panel but it's not hard to cut your own and the qualms with the HDD cooling could be easily rectified with some modding ;).

12. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Yes but not every one wants to get involved in that? Im pretty decent with tools but I dont know If I want to start cutting into case when it already should be how it needs to be.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2009
  13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's a PREVIEW

Please READ THE ARTICLE.

We will review it fully in time but these are our first impressions without actually having built anything into it. I received the case Friday afternoon.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

USB 3.0 won't be around for a long while and certainly not from front panel ports. There is no available hardware to buy that can accommodate it.

Specifically it's ABS steel - it's thicker and costs more. Corsair doesn't really have the company infrastructure to do this on scale, yet, so I assume that's why it costs more.

Why do you come here if you don't want it to be picked apart? Should I just gloss over it and call it awesome? :p The plastic covers are a feature of the design and airflow and they are two paragraphs in 2000 words over four pages. Other companies manage to do adequate airflow without using flimsy plastic that falls out.

Nail on the head ;) I personally think the whole airflow design will be not wonderful, but Corsair disagree. We'll see when we come to review it.

15. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

not to be overly critical or anything, and i was actually looking forward to reading this review... but was the proof reader off with swine flu when this was approved?

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

PM me or anyone on the staff with what you find.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

£225? No thanks. I'll order my HAF 932 today.

18. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

A bit meh, IMHO. Considering all the hype this thing has got in multiple forums, I was expecting a case to end all cases.

19. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's it exactly. ;) It'll make your reviewing system a lot easier, too! A few pictures (that can probably be obtained from the press pack) and then write "This sucks!" or "Awesomesauce" and then go spend the rest of the day playing games. :D

For the price, delays and attention to detail on other areas... that bit seems like an oversight.

I do love the fact that this case is heavy. It's not like once it's built I'd be LANing with it anyway. ;) Although it would be good weight training. :D

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I wouldn't say there are delays, and the price was always ~200 mark even back in CeBit, however compared to the generally excellent quality of the rest of the case it does seem like a compromise on what is a premium product. It doesn't exist in a TJ07 and 840. That said, I do like the Obsidian 800D quite a lot, even despite Corsair PR chewing my ear off.

Tags: Add Tags