Scratch Build – In Progress Project C-Macc's 2 - Sub zero arcade system..... :)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mayhem, 15 Jan 2009.

1. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Its pritty easy to answer that question.

In the emulator world 80% of emulators are dependant on CPU speed not GPU speed. So lets that the ever popular mame.

When running CHD (hard drive images of certain games) trying to hit a FPS that is playable is really hard on a standard CPU set at normal clock speeds and you wont hit 30 Fps never mind 60 Fps. So to get the most out of the CPU i need to over clock it as much as possible. With a over clock of 3 Ghz im still not getting enough FPS to get it smooth and at 3.4 ghz its still not enough. At 3.8 Ghz wich it is now running at its getting 60Fps on 98% of the CHD games alone not taking in account normal roms. That means that over all when you include the 3000+ games with in mame im getting a average of 99.8% of the games running at Full speed.

Now throw into the mix dolphin wich is a Game cube / Wii emulator with takes a massive hit when playing wii games im going to be able to play more games at a higher FPS making more games playable because once again its CPU dependant but all so having a good GPU is needed as well. The trade off how ever with out spending to much money is my gpu as its a little old now but it works and im getting alot of the games running at 100% full speed.

This mod isnt just a case mod and alot more work has to go into it compared to a standard case mod. Not only am i trying to make it look good im all so trying my hardest to make this arcade system do what it says on the box and that is Play ever thing at full speed.

If i was just doing the case mod i would have finished a few months back and would be working on a new one all ready.

Im not just doing this to have fancy nice looking mod im trying to make sure this is the only arcade system in the world that can do it properly with no corners cut.

i have to add im all so proving to my self that i can push the limits of such a system and that even though i dont have any hardware sponsors it is possible to build some thing like this with out there help and cheaply. Dont forget all my water cooling kit is second hand has has only cost £70 at the most.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Ah I didn't realize the emulators drew so much on the CPU, I understand now and I always knew that this was an arcade machine not a regular mod ;).

Just a question. Did you consider looking for an old server mobo with duel Xeons? Considering that the emulators draw largely on the CPU it would be interesting to see how they run with duel CPUs. Considering how cheap the Q6600 is and how cheap the socket 775 platform is you have probably chosen the best option.

Back to the cooling though, I would go for 2x240mm rads considering how much load your CPU will be taking, just for piece or 1x240mm and 1x120mm. Sounds like your GPU won't be stressed too much so you could probably get away with the stock cooler or even run it passively with a Thermalright sink. I know you already have a block lined up but it's just a suggestion ;).

3. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

My problem is money atm im unemployed so all this building is happening with spare cash and trust me i have very little of it.

I realy have to stick with what i have , i do what a Block for the GPu as well and a rad but its going to have to wait. If i can get a cheap enough 3 x 120mm rad id get that but for now its not to bad. I need to get the temps down buy a few more c but its not easy lol ..

Any here is the vid i uploaded.

4. The boy 4rm oz

Dude, that's so cool :D :thumb:.

5. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

Dont fully understand but if you after there web link its in the first 2 lines of this log

but just for you -> http://www.ultimarc.com

hehe my sponsorship for this whole system came to £35 The build cost so far is £4000+ (thats out my own pocket) ........

Est cost to complete £6500 this is taking into account every thing inc wiring , frame development, software, hardware and more.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  6. The boy 4rm oz

I'm pretty sure that was a spam post.

7. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

Can you send me a link about where you got the LED lighting strip. I'm not quite ready to start modding my computer, but i might be able to use it as a cool way to light my room at uni :D

8. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

If you would like a quote let me know how much you would like and ill sort out a price for you.

How ever it does take time to receive.

Im am looking into buying these in bulk to be honest to sell off but it will take time.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2009
  9. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

well, tell me how much you need to order to get a discount and how much you want, and I'll deside whether I want the rest of it or not :p

Anyone else interested in sharing the costs for a complete set?

10. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

inc post and packing with controller

30 cm strip is £25
    1 meter strip £40
    5 meters is £70

11. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

for any one interested C-Macc's 1 has just been sold.

12. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

been working on the arcade pc a bit more still more water loops to add in but its getting there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

going to have to re do the back box though lol to fit it all in.

13. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

been messing arround and fitted a E5200 chip for £48 ..

and over clocked it to 4.6+ Ghz

[​IMG]

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=605201

not bad for a £48 chip me thinks .. might just leave it in place and give the q6600 to the kids.

14. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

15. The boy 4rm oz

Very nice OC mate, very good.

16. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

hit a brick wall for the moment will carry it on once im in the mood plus still waiting for parts ....

17. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

:( hope that means soon

18. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Awesome work. I have no idea how I've missed this one. Fan Freakin tastic. If my kids saw that they would never let me hear the end of it! LOL. Great work!

19. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

well the phase is in my home. and its bigger than i thought 0_o ...

Im going to have to redeisgn the back box for it all to be able to fit in but i have some thing in mind if my wood working skills are up to it.

Here are some pics of the pre perping the MB and all so the phase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics below of the paint and then me testing it out under water cooling .. just have to wait before i can add or do any more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Makes me what to do the whole arcade steam punk style lol ....

The boy 4rm oz likes this.
  20. The boy 4rm oz

Phase in a MAME box, now I HAVE seen everything lol. +rep for the pure awesomeness.