1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling The Joys of being the 'go to guy'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 13eightyfour, 29 Sep 2009.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I got a phone call this morning from a friend asking if i could have a look at one of his friends computers, I didnt have a lot on so i went to pick it up.

I noticed when i collected it that it looked a little grubby, but didnt really think anything of it.

All i was told was it wouldnt get to windows and would only power up for a few seconds before shutting back down and in his words 'Its as if its overheating'.

I kid you not the pictures below are unedited, ive had to put the case in a hot bowl of soapy water along with the cpu heatsink.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think by any standards its disgusting!

2. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

nice i havent seen a dirtier case since i found my old case in my shed and that only had a thin layer of dust on the top!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does he smoke by any chance? That's pretty skeggy.

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

that looks like it's been uncovered from an archaeological dig...!

it looks like there are spiders in residence!

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

What is that stuff? Do I even want to know?

6. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hmmmmmm niiiiiceee.... someones a keen smoker next to their pc.

Had to do the same for one of my parents friends once, by god it was disgusting, again overheating, look inside only to see the fans where so capped in crap that none of them even spun. :jawdrop:

I may be a smoker myself, however im sure to keep my own rig at a safe distence, and cleaned regulary with a can of compressed air every 3-4months.

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I'm relegated to "the outside" (eep, scary!) to smoke, so don't need to worry too much.

Also, +1 for Compressed air cleaning.

Is it me, or does that crap in there look like those orange hair doormats?

8. 13eightyfour

Yup 2 smokers in the house, and im guessing either cats or dogs, I decided to put on the latex gloves before i went routing about, Ive binned all the fans, there wasnt any point in trying to clean them up.

The fluffy greasy crap had the pleasant aroma of stale *** smoke and chip shop, I havent attempted the PSU yet but ive got a spare lying around that i might throw in instead, that way the existing 1 can go in the bin!

EDIT: yes badders its very much like that, almost felt like

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I've seen more dust in a PC case (I literally had handfulls of the stuff) but not that colour.

10. 13eightyfour

essentially what happened is the sticky dust (yes the dust is greasy/sticky) has blocked all the airflow in the case, and the comps become ovenlike, retaining the heat and getting hotter because there was no way of getting the stale air out of the case. Its the worst case ive had to deal with by quite along way really.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Seriously, how could you not notice something like that, especially if you knew your PC was playing up.

I hope you're getting nicely reimbursed for your efforts. I wouldn't take another job from them if I were you, though (at least until they quit smoking).

12. 13eightyfour

I suspect it was me that got the call as they didnt want to take it to a shop in the state it was in?

ive told them its going to be significantly more expensive than it would have normally been, unless theres permanent damage in which case it will be a write off imo.

On a side note does anybody know of a cheap case that comes with removable filters for every fan inlet/outlet? If it isnt dead im going to try and get them to invest in a case thats easy to keep on top of.

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

the cm 590 has removable filters on the entire front ... but the side intakes are not filtered. but for about $55 usd, you cant do much better. psu on the bottom might be scary in a smoking, pet having house though.

and with smokers + cats, you DO NOT want the exhaust fans filtered ... just shortens the amount of time before it gets nasty again. i pulled half a ginger tabby out of my PSU last time i took it apart.

14. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Meh thats noute.

Check this bad boy:

Grrr Host has gone tits up :(

Why would you charge mates more just for the sake of hoovering it :/

Last edited: 29 Sep 2009
  15. 13eightyfour

Because A. Its a friend of a friend that i dont really know. and B. It isnt just a case of hoovering it out, what looks like dust in the pics, doesnt have the consistancy of 'real' dust its sticky and greasy, hoover wouldnt suck it out, the whole case has had a bath (outside).

All the fans need replacing aswell as the PSU. Dont get me wrong if it was a family member close friend then i wouldnt be asking for anything.

16. hirezo

hirezo Minimodder

that is filth lol, my case was in the loft for a year and i took it out and it had less dust than that....i didnt even think smoking would affect your pc....no smoking rule going in my room from now!

17. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

the colour is just right!

Try with Raven02; it's cheap, it has filters on every input (even for PSU) and it has a great airflow that is not that easy to block (percentage of blocked, leaves always something spared).

Was this PC in a kitchen??

It reminds me of some peoples cooker hoods filter; they were showing on TV one of the most often causes of kitchen and house fires...

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Sep 2009
  18. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

19. Nippon109

Nippon109 What's a Dremel?

That is just horrible.... I feel for you having to clean that out...

20. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

The Antec 300 has got filters on the front fans, and you can get some magnetic filters for the other 2 (although the top one should be an exhaust fan a filter on the top should stop crap falling in).

If that's what the inside of their case looks like, imagine what the inside of their lungs must look like!!