1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics What do YOU want?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by macroman, 3 May 2002.

1. Digital Sin

Digital Sin What's a Dremel?

ah thanks, dont worry i have browsed bit tech for months (macro black made me pass out a few times after staring at its sheer beauty) i just decided to join now because of all t3h modding questions i have, and it looks to be cool.

even if its british......

;)

2. TheT2

TheT2 What's a Dremel?

how about an lcd tft to vga adapter?

i think not only me but many people would like a laptop lcd tft to either dvi or vga (or both :) )

3. LiVeFoRpUnK

LiVeFoRpUnK What's a Dremel?

I saw a lot of schematic that work with a thermistor for variating the voltage of 1 fan. But i can't find one that 1 thermistor can control a bunch of fan. Someone can create that schematic?

4. Synx

Synx What's a Dremel?

Inverter circuit & parts

Hi. I'd like to see a circuit of invertor for cold cathode & I'd like to know what parts are you using in this circuit? Can you help me?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

5. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

I had a big problem with this :

Making a stereo volume control ... when I did it with a rheostat, I got EXTREMLY poor sound quality then ... any way how to fix it and hack it ?

As well as I would like to have the knobs backlit by the percentage of the volume ... ie. ... behind the knob will be 10 leds, as you had two in your koolance case ... if there is 60% volume, six leds will shine and it'll look reeeaally nice :) (probably a dualrheostat needed on that thing ;)

PLEASE PLEASE gimme that electronics stuff, coz I want this to have in my upcoming case ...

6. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

iSteve: Nice little idea you've got there... I've got an idea on how to make it even cooler:
    Let's use a encoder typ of pot (you can turn thoose as much as you want... they never stop) and 10-12 3mm LED's around it, then we connect the entire thing to the serial or USB port of the PC and let the pot adjust the PC's main volume control using a simple program, that way the LED's and the pot will always be synced with the main volume control... ie. when you increase the volume using windows mixer, the LED's will react exactly as if you were turning the pot.

Also, this way the LED's could have dual functionality... They could for example be used as VU-meters by a winamp plugin.

Now, this slightly more complex idea can't be done with some simple rheostats.. It requires a MCU and some custom software.
    Since I can imagine there are more ppl who'd like something like this I'll look into it, but don't expect anything by friday... ;)

7. iSteve

iSteve What's a Dremel?

nice, but

a) you need PIC's on that
    b) you may use the leds as vumeters even without plugin in winamp
    c) I was already working on the mine idea, but ****ed it all up

8. AmPz

AmPz What's a Dremel?

a: PIC is not the only MCU out there you know..

To do it your way you should use one pot to get a voltage between 0-5V, that voltage can be used to light the LED's by using that VU IC LM*** (can't remember the part no#).
    Then, to actually control the audio volume you need to build a voltage controlled amplifier, use the same 0-5V to control the amplifiers gain.
    Should be possible to do with just a few OP's.

9. LiVeFoRpUnK

LiVeFoRpUnK What's a Dremel?

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

that sound slike a plan :D:D the needle thing right ??

what about an FM radio ? I hear that you can get ICs which do pretty much everything, and all yo uneed to do is add a few bits to it :) that would be cool :p

11. [S]lammer

[S]lammer Can't touch this!

i need a parallel to serial convertor for an optrex DMF lcd

plz hlp

12. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

How about a digital potentiometer with a bargraph indicator?

Tap the plus button the resistance decrease and the fan (or any device) goes faster and the bargraph goes up (more LEDs light), tap the minus key a few times and the resistance increases and the bargraph falls (less LEDs light).

A Digi-bus, mmm I like the sound of that.

13. Deymos

Deymos What's a Dremel?

hmmmm

I had to register to reply to this post, so now i'm hooked on this...
    I'm ruined:hehe:

Anyway, what about a led spectrum analyser?
    maybe made by several vu-meters with band-pass filters...

iSteve: i'm workin on something similar, a voltage regulator with a bar of led that follows the movement of the knob... i'll post some pictures when it's finished...

14. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

How about summit really simple, like a light sensitive switch to turn on your case lights, that acts as a dimmer switch - as outside gets slowly darker, the inside of your case gets slowly brighter. Obviously this would need a manual override function for when you need sleep etc, but it would be nice to have a lighting kit that turned itself on...

:)

15. Shadowman

Shadowman What's a Dremel?

Ooooh, and on the subject of light sensitive switches...

What about a light sensitive power/reset switch?

Instead of puching a button, all you would have to do would be to touch the sensor to turn your system on...

Or possibly a remote control to turn on your PC?

Just another couple of random thoughts in my head ;)

16. acrimonious

LDR and a transistor, connect it (possibly throuch an optoisolator) to your Mo/Bo power on port

17. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

How to build our own power supplies...if it's not too expensive and complicated. I'm sure you guys could do it, since you appear to be masters of PCB, etc.

18. acrimonious

Power supplies as in a PSU?

19. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Yes...

20. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

:idea:

I'ver read your articles on www.bit-tech.net regarding the fanbus, electrobus, and rheobus. I'm quite interested in using a pre-built 6 fan bus controller such as the ones reviewed on bit-tech's web site.

The only problem I've got is that I've just purchased a 36W fan, which is obviously going to overload the channel that it's connected to. Could you please do an article to show people how to mod a standard fanbus to allow usage of a fan of that or similar size. If the fanbus comes with a voltage regulator, would it just be a simple matter of upgrading the regulator to one in your article, or would something more be required?

Please please help!

Thanks for the great articles anyway

PS. hope you dont mind, but i've also posted this in the article discusion forum, as it falls into either catagory.