1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electricity

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by chin913, 14 Oct 2009.

1. pullet_surprise

pullet_surprise What's a Dremel?

It cost me £1 per day in elec' just to run my SLI 8800GT rig. Im on the cheapest tariff and supplier I can find.

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Expecting my next bill early Nov - should be interesting, as the house is currently being heated by waste heat from the PC's :hehe:

3. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

1st thing I noticed after powering them down was how quiet the house is. As for how much kit I had well there was 1 q6600 - 1 q6700 - 2xamd cpus 2 - 8800gt's - 1 9800gt and 1 - 285 and 1 8800gts
    However I also have the xbox 360 and ps3 and the wii and the big sound system ...Then the boring stuff like washers and dryers and a 37"lcd so I guess when its all up and on it does take a heafty toll on the meter. However I cant argue with her indoors just as long as she stops buyings shoes I wont mind :) .I do think they missread the meter last time and now they want the difference , I was hoping to get some back off them . Still one wee machine still going and after all every little helps dont it :) What a team .................

4. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

I would say my leccy bill is around £100 a month due to the folding.

5. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Yeah I think mine went due to the overclocking of everything ie cpu's and gpu's I do leave 1 on all the time for downloading stuff that will stay folding indeff i may have to tweak it a bit more for some points or swap gpu's .The wife will let me keep one on so I think it has 2 be the best one for folding inbetween my Unreal gaming sessions that is

6. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

which version of unreal do you play chin?
    cheers spunky

7. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

I play unreal 2004 still!! And unreal 3 of course under chin913. From time to time Cod 4 but with being colour blind I normally kill my own team mates now the Titan pack is out I just cant stop playing unreal it's how it should have been like that on release

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I recently started playing unreal again! I think the GOTY edition was my first ever fps, then after that I moved on to unreal II and finally tournament 2004. I stopped playing 2004 on a regular basis about 2 years after starting it, when I moved on to CS:S.

Anyway my houemate reminded me of it one day recently and I installed it for some lan fragging action :thumb: I've been sticking to the GOTY edition for nostalgic purposes but I'll move onto 2004 again soon. They're still great games!

9. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Out of all the games the 2 that I still love are original Unreal Tournament GOTY edition and Counter Strike Source, always end up going back to them even though modern games like Crysis, COD4, FarCry 2 etc are far superior in graphics I just love the game play of the older games.

Also the Hafllife II episodes are awesome, when will they ever release the 3rd episode dammit! lol

10. Unicorn

Definately agree with you about unreal and css. I still play 1.6 occasionally just to see if I've still got the moves :D

it's the competitiveness of simpler games like unreal and css that draws you back. The modern games have it as well but IMO CS and source set the standard for competitive gameplay on a 'lifelike' fps game (obviously unreal was there first in the scifi fps genre). I still don't think there are as many people playing the likes of COD4 or Crysis at competition level as there are playing CS:S.

As for episode 3 - I'm patiently waiting for it as well :)

11. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

well i still play ut99 now and have done since it first came out almost 10 years ago.i have an hour or so fragging in the multiplay servers every night which even after all this time still as loads of players and for the majority of the time they are a good crowd.i also own 2003,2004 and ut3 but for me ut99 as the best balanced gameplay of them all,i even rent my own server from multiplay but like a plonker i tend to play on there redeemer sniper heaven server 99% of the time maybe because theres some damned good players in there that ive got to know quite well over the years.
    happy fragging spunky

12. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Good fragging chaps lol :thumb:

In fact I still have a Counter Strike Source dedicated server which I made as a VM a while ago to host so might have to fire it up and see if it still works, will let ya have the details Uni so we can have a game if I can remember how to work it! ;)

Anyway i'll stop spamming this thread now with gaming banter haha might make a separate thread on gaming for us folding peeps :worried:

13. Unicorn

I used to run 3 servers for Genuine Gaming, cs_office 24/7, de_dust2 24/7 and a Deathmatch popular maps rotation server. They were good when they were running but we lost sponsorship for them after the clan went inactive and the community fell apart after the servers shut down. I've started to put a few hours a week in playing again. Maybe if I get myself trained up again I'll join a small clan and enjoy not having the responsibility of managing the team as well as playing :) I miss the fun we used to have playing in ED (enemy down) and going to LANs, which is why I forced myself to make a few spare hours in the week to play again :)

Give me a shout if you need any help getting your server running again, it's been a while but I think I still remember how to config them ;) I'd love to get a game going some night.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2009
  14. pullet_surprise

pullet_surprise What's a Dremel?

Favourite online Game has to be TF2, the Mag's Wed's night games are a hoot!!!

Had some good laughs playing the classic version as well, many moons ago. Anyone play regular and have a clan?

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

last time i checked it was £25 for me 3x9800gx2 rig + aircon is my tester is set to 14.4p an unit so set little to high i reset it to 9.44p at some point (i am on e-on prepay meter with £2.70 week charge)

16. Unicorn

I've always wanted to go to a CPC server night for CS:S. Do they even still run them for CS? I never read the gaming section of the mag anymore, because for the past year or so I have totally neglected gaming :( I don't even miss it, but I know how much fun it is when I am playing regularly, so I'm easing myself back in to the whole scene again :hehe:

Lee, do you mean that you set the price per unit on your electric meter that you measure your machines usage on? I had one like that (little thing you plug in the wall) but I could never understand how to set the unit price on it! Now I've ordered the Wattson I shouldn't need it though, I'll just put it on the farm's supply. What does the £2.70 per week cover? The use of the prepay system? I need to move my whole farm to England because all you guys seem to be on pretty good tarriffs compared to mine :rolleyes:

17. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

Got my bill today electricity bill is £49 pounds more than usual I offerd to pay from my folding fund! Then opend the gas bill and found we are £200 pounds in credit:clap: Mike

18. Unicorn

Not bad Mike! £200 in credit on the Gas is good going. Ours is all pay as you go here at the house where my folding rigs are (both Gas and Electricity). I can get daily/ weekly/ monthly/ annual info from the meter though. October's data is going to sting :duh:

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

{brain fart} panic over i think or more panic £57 just for 3x9800GX2 rig and very likely 500w on my system,

if you do not have an plug in meter you can guess 100W per GPU and 100w for the system total no GPU (i7 could be 150w-200w if SMP Folding) and then add 0.100 per GPU

yes power plugs are norm in £ € $ (not pennies) on the plug in power meter it should look like 0.000 or 0.00 you need to put in your rate in the one below the decimal point (most of them can move the decimal point as well)

http://www.greenfrog.biz/folding/powerused.xls

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
  20. HoistaWheelie

HoistaWheelie Slow but steady

Quake III and Team Arena were my first forays into online gaming .... then UT and UT2004 but it was Battlefield 2 then got me addicted, even joined a clan!

Never been that good to be honest, there are people out there who make me weep with their reactions/accuracy but hey it's not about the winning ....is it ;)

Last game I played was 6 months ago and it was CoD4 where I got totally pwned :(

Once I rebuild the main rig with the i5 I think I need to reload UT2004, BF2, BF2142 ... oh and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in November!

|V|unt3r as I was known when gaming