Electricity

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by chin913, 14 Oct 2009.

1. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Well chaps just had my bill yet again and after paying £100.00 quid a month already , Eon have just sent me a meter read bill of £330 quid :-( .So off they go until at least I find a cheaper supplier . 3475 kwh used ouch :duh: :wallbash::waah:

2. spunkymonkey

spunkymonkey phoenicis wannabe

thats rediculous,so thats what?? a £660 bill for a quarter is that correct chin??

cheers spunky

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

That's an expensive tarrif by the looks of things.
    Shouldn't that be an actual bill of £330 minus the £300 you've paid this quarter leaving a £30 balance?

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I did some very accurate sums from data in our meter the other day (we have a smart meter so you can get pretty much any data you'd want or need from it as long as you know how) and worked out that on full load, my farm is drawing between 0.99 and 1.00 KW from the wall. The price per unit (kwh) here at the moment is 14.659 Pence, which means that every hour my rigs cost 14.659p to run. That works out to be ~ £3.51 per 24 hours, and just shy of £25 per week. It doesn't take a genius to realize then, that my farm is also costing around £100 per month to run. Add the rest of the house on top of that and you have quite the bill. I don't actually get a bill, because we use the top-up electricity option, but if we did it would be quite large.

It may actually be more than £100 per month because AFAIK NIE have peak time rates that differ from the standard unit price.

5. ThunderBob

ThunderBob What's a Dremel?

Yeah i remeber those bills.

Its the main reason i moved to EDF energy. They have a plan (cant remember the exact one right now) that drops if you use more than X amount of energy. So the more you use the cheaper it was compared to other tariffs.

6. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

My Total electricity bill for the Quarter was £126 and that was down on last quarter, running the 2 rigs in my sig. and all the house, I use gas for DHW and Heating only, so I get away lightly compared to you lot :D:D

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'm waiting for the courier van & forklift to arrive with mine.

8. Unicorn

So do we. Natural gas for water, cooker and central heating, electricity for the rest. When I say the rest, I mean my farm, my PC, my two houemates PCs, the 46" LCD in the living room and the accessory that is going along with it, which can be a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii or Media center PC. Not to mention the amp for the surround sound :eek:

Lotta stuff to run :( And we have a 3KW kettle.

9. spunkymonkey

after a 2 minute conversation with n-power earlier this year i halved all my readings and i think at the time i had 7 rigs folding (10 now) my bill came down from the cheapest i had ever had of over £2200 per quarter to £940 of course thats for the house,shop and post office.
    believe me i didnt need much insperation to build a few more folding rigs after that bill came through. :D

chin hurry up and tell us whether it was £630 or £330??

cheers spunky

10. Unicorn

Disadvantage of living here: You get the coice of ONE electricity provider, NIE. If you don't like it, you basically have to live in the dark.

11. spunkymonkey

flaming kettles they cost a fortune to run :D

12. spunkymonkey

natural gas!!! aahhhh!!! first thing in a morning when i wake up, ooops lowering the tone again

spunky

13. chin913

chin913 忍び So say we all

Well after looking@ my bill without the gas in it looks like it's around £536.46 a quarter my misses said she would rather go on holiday than spend that on electric bills ... :) I will keep one going though only a wee 9800 gt from time 2 time ..... unless I get a big pay rise @ work

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Was your last bill (the one before this one) a reading or an estimate?

How much kit are you running.

That seems a lot of bill for what hardware I remember you having.

15. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Wellllll im waiting for a shock with my electric, I moved into my new house in Feb this year and im on a "websaver dual-fuel monthly tariff jobber" with British Gas and since Feb they have only been charging me around £35 a month electric but I know since then ive almost doubled my consumption thanks to 2 i7 rigs and a few GTX260s lol
    I keep giving them meter readings a but the DD remains the same, I phoned them up about it but apparently they reassess it after a year so should be interesting come Feb 2010! :worried:

On the flip side they are taking £70 odd a month in Gas and I'm barely using £20 as I only have a combi-boiler and hob that uses gas, oven is electric, again I moaned about that and they said it will be adjusted in Feb so every time I get into £250 Debit with the gas they give me my money back, what a bunch of jokers!! :wallbash:

I hate all the Gas & Electric supplier bull **** its a pain in the arse and a minefield if you dont really know what your doing and N-Power are some seriously shifty gits so watch out spunky!! :worried:

16. spunkymonkey

thats not good chin,the only way i could think of it being that high is if the quarter before that the bill was drastically under estimated.the amount of electrical hardware that churns away in my house and shop all day long and you have a couple or so of folding rigs and get a bill like that.
    2 words for leccy company "thieving *******s"

spunky

17. spunkymonkey

sounds a bit like my house,the 50" full hd tv,onkyo 606 hd surround amp with kef 7.1 speakers,sony blu ray player,xbox360,wii,popcorn hour and sky hd and the 40 watt fishtank thats boiling away in the corner.
    spunky

18. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

LOL @ all us blokes with the big TV's, consoles and surround systems! I can concur with me Samsung 46" 1080p TV, xbox 360, media pc and 5.1 with B&W speakers and huge sub that shakes the house down :D

19. spunkymonkey

dont you just love them sub's? i had to turn mine down a bit as it was driving one of my dogs mad.i came back in the room one day to find him having a chomp on the plastic outlet at the front,
    little **** he he
    even the kids have a 50" rear projection in there room,my old castoff,not hd.
    spunky

20. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

No Televisions in my house, I had enough of them when I was a TV service Eng. besides I hate soaps BTW my gas bill for the last Quarter was, wait for it, £1.75, cos I have dual fuel with BG and the silly twits took the Bonus off the gas bill. but I do have a 3KW kettle :):)