1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Dec 2009.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't buy the Razer for a couple reasons reasons.
    1: Their build quality seems to be not so good and the materials used feel like the cheapest of plastics, which leads me to believe that Razer are far over priced for the quality of goods on offer.
    2: Especially not the Tarantula because of the stupid light system used and the ugly socket for it.

2. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Well I replaced my razer lycosa today with an Apple keyboard. For £28 its gorgeous.. love the chicklet keys. And a fraction of the price that I paid for the buggy lycosa (with the poorest backlit keys ever).

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I woul;dnt pay for a G19 at that price, my G15 I think was something around £50 when I bought it, and its still here all these years later in perfect working order. I wouldnt reccomend the G19 just for the price, but get a G15 instead, basically the same features and yes it is very very useful for what I do.
    For instance I can see who is talking on vent while I am ingame, and also I can queue for battlegrounds in WoW while alt tabbing and browsing the net, when the BG comes up, it shows up on the mini screen.
    I would find it extreemly hard to go back to a keyboard without a screen.

4. TobyKing1982

TobyKing1982 Minimodder

I have a Razor Lycosa keyboard. Sexy if you think that way about computers lol.

However the backlight is so helpful.

One problem I do have though is when you try and change the volume on the keyboard you end up turning the keyboard lights off!! lol

5. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

Why do you say it needs to be linear? Why not tactile?

And of all those KBDs you list, sure they may be great, but since I'm not a touch typist I need backlit key's and prefer a swedish layout - and all of those that you mentioned I failed to find in any other format other than a US layout. Is there no one else in the world that types?

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I would love to go the G15 route but as far as I know, they are only available with orange backlights... in this day and age when gaming computers are nearly always modded to some extent we should always have a choice of colours. The other reason that puts me off both the G15 and the G11 is the mass of plastic around the edge... its just a waste of space. Thats why I like the G110, it looks so much more compact while having great features.

7. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 4ever. No questions asked, no quarter given.

8. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 What's a Dremel?

Gaming keyboard? As in the keyboard is supposed to make you better? I have a Microsoft Digital Media Pro keyboard. It's old, beat up, has the silver worn away from where my palms rest, the wire sheath has worn away from the USB connector exposing the wires...and I still get as good as 6:1 ratios on CODMW 32-man servers.

Keyboard layouts do nothing to improve your natural ability to game. Surely a $100+ USD keyboard isn't going to help at all either. I don't need LED displays, OLED buttons and backlighting to game. Anyone that thinks they do is quite gullible.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I agree. However, I think the whole point with most gaming keyboards is the additional keys for macros and such... not their ability to improve your game play.

Which begs the question... why is this...

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/

.... a gaming keyboard? I keep reading reviews on this where people call it such.

Looks like a very standard 105 key board to me. I'm sure it's very nice, but a gaming keyboard? If it's backlit it's a gaming keyboard? LOL

To me a gaming keyboard is all about programmable custom keys, not promises to make you better, or silly keyboard layouts. I hate the ones that have non standard key layouts... I mean.. you spend years using WASD and are then supposed to game better when you use a layout totally new to you?... just so you can learn all over again? No thanks.

Also.. any keyboard that doesn't at least have media controls... even a simple play/pause Vol/mute control is instant fail.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2009
  10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

The ZBoard is still the best gaming keyboard in my eyes.

You cannot beat it's key layout for ease of use.

11. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

Mostly because of this: "Cherry mechanical key switches"

12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately none of these keyboard would be a choice for me. The "\" slash "|" button is in place of left shift instead of enter. How stupid. Gamers don't need that key there, and programmers don't either!

13. J888www

J888www What's a Dremel?

14. SteveU

SteveU Minimodder

Well this aricle has prompted me to go and buy an Eclipse II and I'm made up with it.

It's easily the best keyboard I've ever used and it makes typing with the lights off so much easier.

Best £28 I've ever spent on a peripheral!

Steve

15. J888www

J888www What's a Dremel?

I only list but a few, there are too many options.
    I didn't say it NEEDS to be Linear, my preference for Gaming is Linear, my preference for typing is Tactile. For the best of both worlds, maybe you should find a Keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Switches, but as I stated previously, each to their own preferences.
    The Deck keyboards ARE better than Backlit ( one LED per Switch for a more unform display ) in various colours depending on switches options. I cannot answer all the questions due to difference in opinions, the answer maybe within the Keyboarders website, seek your own enlightenment. Be warned as InSanCen ( Keyboarder) stated, it is very harmful to your wallet., you WILL be tempted and you CAN NOT resist.

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

been doing some searching and am not having luck finding a mechanical KBD in another layout other than US, Seems that most who buy a better KBD have to remap the keys.

17. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Personally, I prefer both Linear *and* Tactile, but my gaming is fairly limited, so I have no need of NKRO. I game on a Model M, an M13 and a Keyboard with Black cherries. And I'll frag most people in any version of UT that you care to mention, even with my lowly 2 key rollover.

The tendency of Gamers to mash they keys means you want a stiffer/heavier switch, and for most people, this is the exact opposite of what you want for extended periods of typing. Luckily, I type very heavily, and as such, my typing requirements are very similar to most gamers requirements. the noise tends to piss most people off though. Backlit Keys? This is Bit-Tech... mod them! I am currently modding a Model M, and although it's not backlit just yet, it will be as soon as I can source some new keycaps for it.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Damn. I never noticed this.

WHy???

That's ruined it for me.

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Does any one know:
    How many simultaneous key-strokes these keyboards can handle?
    Is there a cheaper Logitech that can do 3-5 simu-key strokes?
    As I do not need loads of extra macros just be able to hit three or more keys at the same time.

20. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

the steel series can do every key

Tags: Add Tags