1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Headset?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 3 Jan 2010.

1. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Ok - they can only test what has been sent - they run a great magazine called Custom PC - so they're BUSY doing other things...

Yet I accept that the reviews are a little rubbish recently - less podcast more depth!

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I'm sure they will have included the mic tests in the magazine version of the headset tests ;)

3. play150

play150 What's a Dremel?

Gamecom 337

(For the Platronics Gamecom 337)

You guys do realize that the Gamecom 337 is marketed as an open ear headset right? I own one and it certainly does not "absorb almost all the sound", I bought it because of the open ear, so that I would still be able to pay attention to my surroundings while playing.

Did you guys actually test the sound blocking capabilities of the headsets, or was it a look at the soft padding? Sorry I usually love the bit-tech reviews, they seem to be very informative and intelligently done, but this review is just no good.

4. DbD

DbD Minimodder

No headsets with positional sound at all? e.g. the very popular Medusa 5.1's, Tritton AX Pro, razer do some.

No testing of positional information - I don't care so much if I can hear water pooling, what I really care about is the location of that approaching zombie - can I work it out just using the audio cues.

This is a "gaming headset" review, which means you should be focusing on stuff that helps you win!

5. SilverSilence

SilverSilence What's a Dremel?

Any reason the Cyber Snipa Sonar 5.1's weren't tested?

6. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

Sennheiser 350's for me...
    ok the price is high (around £100) but they are spot on..
    None of this 7.1 that doesn't work stuff.

When playing MW2 i can hear everything.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm surprised about the relatively low score of the Siberia headset. I've got the original Siberia from when it was still marketed under the Icemat label and apart from two weak points (the separate clip-on mic and the shoddy quality of the volume control) I have nothing but good things to say about the headset. It's quite comfy and audio-wise it's way beyond the Plantronics A90 I had before. Actually, I first went on to buy a new A90, but the sound quality was so bad I returned it for the more-expensive Siberia.

8. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

It's a shame you couldn't get any Sennheisers in there. I have used 'em for 5 years or so now without a single hitch from 1 hour to 10 they stay comfortable and stay quality. The mics are always good aswell.

9. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's with a Blue Snowball Microphone is my killer combo. Cant be beat for gaming under $400 for the pair.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Actually the MDR-V6, AKG 271,240 could be considered very close competitors, for a fraction of the price. Heck, for a few more dollars, you could import some MDR-CD9000st that will absolutely walk all over the dt770's.

So technically, it can be beat, for cheaper.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

While Carcharias may be "shark" in Greek, it is also a Genus of sharks. So, you're both right.

Did they review the headsets over the Christmas break, or did they review them during the couple weeks prior, then post the results during the Christmas break? Or does it actually matter?

I agree with others that this review doesn't seem on par with Bit-Tech's usual high standards. The way I read the article, it appeared as though the reviewer put on a headset, listened to some sounds for an hour, then moved on to the next headset. As some have noted, while a headset may start off somewhat stiff it may actually loosen after a week of regular use, eventually conforming to the wearer's head. Insofar as physical comfort goes, do any of reviewers wear glasses? From personal experience, a headset that surrounds the ears might cause more discomfort on someone with glasses than on someone without.

In addition to the physical build quality, there was little mention of the differences in the interface. This can be an important factor in sound quality: I once returned a headset that used the mini plug interface because there was an awful buzzing sound from the plug on the front of my computer. Any time I moved my mouse there was a high-pitched feedback sound. I picked up a basic Logitech USB headset and have been happy ever since.

I also agree with others that a review of gaming headsets should have included some mention of microphone audio quality. Otherwise, this could just have been a review for regular headphones.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

exactly... another half assed review. ~_~ This tebds to be what happens when a bigger company now owns a smaller company and the bigger company cares about is the bottomline eg how quick can we do this, how cheap can we do this, and how much money can I lined our pockets with it. So ya the quality of these reviews since the buy out have been deminishing over time. Which is really sad, I really use to like the reviews from here, they use to be really indepth and detailed, sure they do that on a couple of items like CPU and Graphics Cards... for the most part but everything else they review seem to suffer a bit and lack that detail. Oh well thats why the internet is so huge, there are other reviewers out there willing to take the time to review something its just a matter of searching around a bit.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I wear glasses, as do Alex and James. I wasn't personally involved in this round-up, but my recommendations for headsets for glasses wearing peeps are simple:

Sennheiser HD 215 for people who don't need a microphone, as the large cups have very soft cushioning and make them SUPREMELY comfortable.

SteelSeries 5H v2 for people who do need a microphone, again because of the soft, fabric cushioning.

I've used both headsets for years at home and work, though lately I just favour in-ear headphones and an in-line mic. That's just my quick 2ps worth.

14. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I'm happy with my sennheiser 555's tbh.

15. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

All those complaining, it has been Christmas and the fact that everyone at bi-tech worked extra hard to prepare enough articles to cover every day over the holidays is quite amazing when you consider a lot of places basically just shut down. While I agree that some silly decisions may have been made in regards to some of the round ups, you have to appreciate that a lot of it is out of their hands.

Some people are just never happy.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

That's good to know - thanks for the reply. Reading my comment again, the way I wrote it may not have been totally clear. I didn't mean to imply that full-cup headphones necessarily cause discomfort, rather that full-cup headphones could cause discomfort if the padding isn't sufficient to cushion against glasses. As you suggested, the right padding makes a world of difference.

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

run sennheiser here too.. the usb soundcard built into the soundblaster is interesting though- probably why they won the roundup.. and if you want to throw turtle beach into the mix.. they've been making audiophile quality hardware since the early 90's http://www.turtlebeach.com/

18. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

As Joe said, I do wear glasses and found the Creative Sound Blaster Arena to be very comfortable, even for mammoth all-day online gaming sessions over Christmas.

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Quantity can never make up for quality. I appreceate how hard the guys work (as i know for a fact they do), but that doesn't make this article any more informative or relevant to me. This isn't a headphone roundup, its a quick look at a pile of random headphones.

Every time there's criticism on an article it's brought up how hard the guys work. It's impressive that they can fill a quota and everything, but i'm reaching a point where i stop reading the articles. The headphone one has particular interest for me, so i ventured a gamble, and was disappointed. Is it so wrong to voice that opinion?

20. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

hehehehe. Corcharias :p

Guy 1: So, what the doctor said?

Guy 2: Oh man this is embarrasing, i got an STD.

Guy 1: Syphilis?

Guy 2: No, i got corcharias!

LOL

Tags: Add Tags