News BioShock 2 available on Steam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

Too bad they're price shafting in Australia (again). http://store.steampowered.com/app/8859/?cc=au and not even in Australian dollars, still in US dollars. Screw you 2K.

That said, I still pre-ordered a 4-pack because I am a consumer whore and loved the first one.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

It depends if you like first person shooters with puzzels to solve, personally i like it, and think its quite good

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

+1

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

LOVE IT

**** YOU GRENADE OF GRENADE: GRENADE WARFARE2 AND YOUR £598459458 THATS HOW NOT TO GET YOUR GAME PIRATED.

caplock is great.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

... what, did you smoke.

6. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

I really liked bioshock and will defo get bioshock 2 - only thing i didn't like about the original was the weapon / plasmid selection system , the last (and only patch) added wide screen support and fov fix , and also you can now force AA in the the nvidia control panel - i was playing it last night - IMO graphically it looks great , just to character models are a little 'toon' ish - but that's just part of the styling..

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah I really liked Bioshock I'll be getting the new one for sure

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Well its just lazy on behalf of the developer...Also meant it didn't work on eyefinity TH2Go resolutions.
    Which again is just lazy as its so simple to do.

9. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

is there a 4 pack thread yet? :p

10. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Not that i can see, i think i might go make one though :)

Edit: it's here

Last edited: 20 Jan 2010
  11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the first one was consolified a bit.. but it was still awesome for it's time and looked a lot better on pc than on console.. made this vid on release back in sept. 2007, think it still looks good

can't wait to play bioshock 2

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I completely agree. With Matrox TripleHead2Go, ATi EyeFinity and nVidia's 3D Vision Surround now bringing triplewide gaming potential to a far wider audience, attitudes of 'whiny gamers pointless blahblah' is monumentally short-sighted.

Frankly, with the two big graphics manufacturers touting surround as their high end (and with the number of pixels that need to be pushed at higher surround resolutions it's easy to see why) any game that doesn't cope with surround in an acceptible (ie: FOV/aspect correct) fashion needs to be strung up by review sites. But hey, first the review sites need to start testing at surround resolutions...

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I personally didn't find the first game to be anything amazing but i could see why other people maybe have enjoyed it, the game created a rather nice atmosphere in conjunction with the setting however i didn't find the gameplay all that.

As for the widescreen argument, i really don't see what the point is. People who have widescreen monitors are "complaining" that because their monitors are wider then they should see more on the flanks. Well since 4:3 monitors are technically taller (would scale to 16:12) shouldn't they see more top and bottom? :rolleyes:

14. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

I thought what detracted from the first one for me was the fact that i was always so low on ammo, and often health. I wanted to just get on with the game and enjoy the atmosphere while shooting stuff; not spend the whole time worrying whether if i fire too many bullets into this guy, am i going to run out of ammo/die in 2 minutes?

15. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

I really enjoyed the first so will definitely get this... that's a tempting price on steam too!

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Um... no... because if that was the case, then it would be a "pixel based" display (in the way that Red Alert 2 handles resolutions - the greater the resolution, the more you can see in either dimension) rather than an aspect ratio based display.

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

You know, i started typing out a post against yours thinking you had misunderstood me, but after typing a few paragraphs i realised it was me who had misunderstood the whole pixel-based/aspect ratio thing.

However, my main point is still that the reason why widescreen players complained about Bioshock was that they got a lower vertical fov and the same horizontal fov than 4:3 screens. What they wanted however, was the same vertical fov and and increased horizontal fov which imo is just greedy.

Instead, it seems the developers just turned that mentality the other way round by (as i said before) using the "pixel based" display and simply putting that at a certain resolution, a 4:3 monitor scales to having a great vertical fov i.e., a 16:10 ratio is 1280x800 whilst the 4:3 counter part is 1280x1024.

If you do go by an "aspect ratio" based display as you put it, 16:9/10 screens are wider than 4:3 screens but also shorter for the same size. As such, they should have an increased horizontal fov at the expense of decreased vertical fov. The problem is that people are greedy and think that for some reason because they've bought a widescreen they deserve to see "more" when in fact it should really balance out.

That's the way i see it anyways.

18. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

While not without it's faults (including a disappointing final boss battle) I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my first romp through Rapture and am looking forward to the sequel :)

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah I bloody loved the first one but I've got an uneasy feeling about the sequel.

Most sequels make me want to play through the original again, to get back up to speed, but I'm getting the feeling that if I do that this time I'll be mega bored as the sequel will just be more of the same.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong but I wont be replaying Bioshock just in case.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Bioshock 2
    Online activation via Securom
    5 machine limit
    GFWL

Since the first was a disappointement on the gameplay (did 2K ever fixed the mouse?), will avoid this one.

Tags: Add Tags