1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Dell SP2309W Monitor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Jan 2010.

1. ben_jt

ben_jt What's a Dremel?

A minor correction, but the monitor has 4 USB 2.0 ports, not 2 as stated on the first page - two are hidden away next to the B upstream connector, and two are positioned on the left hand side for memory sticks etc.

I have had one of these for 6 months now, and its the dog's danglies. Very tempted to get a second to replace my aging 2405.

2. ben_jt

ben_jt What's a Dremel?

And it's worth noting that if your graphics card supports audio out through the HDMI, you can use this as a source for the headphones socket on the monitor instead of the 3.5mm line-in. Although it's very quiet in this pass-through mode in my experience.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Looks great, given my distaste for multi monitor setups, the wideness of this one is very nice.

4. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Even cheaper from Scan, £171.51 inc vat (but ex delivery). even with delivery it's £182.60.

Tempting....so tempting....

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'm sold.

6. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmmm... Any monitor with a TN panel is instant fail in my book. Especially with monitors like the Dell 2209WA, NEC EA231WMi and the LG W2220P out there. They might have a lower resolution, but image quality trumps resolution any day. :)

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

How well does this work with upscaling? I'm very tempted but I'd use it with my 360 as well which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a 2048*1152 output option :lol:

8. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

The resolution is no problem for games, I have the Samsung SM2343BW which also runs the 2048 x 1152 resolution, bought it new on ebay the other day for £130, and everything I've tried on it works just fine (even the original AvP game re-released on steam) . This has no HDMI and console gaming is irrelevant to me as I don't have any, so I can't say how it would behave there but as a PC monitor I'm fairly impressed, very impressed for the price. The extra bit of desktop space is very useful, especially with the Windows 7 window snapping features- most websites are designed to work on a 1024 or 1280 horizontal monitor.

I wonder if these two use the same panal, ebuyer sell the SM2343BW for £173 delivered and although it doesnt have the HDMI or webcam, the stand does rotate for portrait use. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

9. Goty

Goty Minimodder

A nicer panel (H-IPS vs TN), meaning (potentially) better colors and definitely better viewing angles at the expense of some minor input lag.

10. sear

sear Guest

Have you seen this monitor? No, you haven't, and bit-tech's staff, who likely have more experience with a wide array of monitors than you, claim it features image quality comparable to much more expensive displays. Perhaps you should withhold your judgement until you actually see the thing yourself.

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

:grr:

I will admit that for the price the monitor is simply awesome.

Even an elitist like me will say it... But with that said, I'll sacrifice a bit of screen space for picture quality. And I've seen it in real life, the color banding isn't that bad since the screen is ginormous, but the NEC is better in my book regardless.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

From what I wrote, how do you come to the conclusion that I haven't seen this monitor (which, for the record, I haven't). I do, however, have yet to see any monitor with a TN panel, that comes even close to a monitor with an xVA or IPS panel. And I've certainly seen and used my share of monitors, so please don't comment on my experience unfounded. My statement was a general one, and I stand by it.

13. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Dell U2410 is a 10 bit H-IPS monitor. Much better quality on colours, brightness and contrast. Its about £430. There is a dithering issue with the A00 revision which has been corrected with the A01 revision. Just waiting for it to make UK shores. Should be anytime in the next month.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/19.htm#dell_firmware

14. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Just got one. Great monitor although my desk is quite narrow and it does have a very large base so might be something to consider.

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i really should upgrade from my 17" monitor lol

16. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Hmm... Do I get one of these for my main rig, and relegate my S2209W to a secondary rig? The accountant in me says no, but the LAN fiend in me says yes!

17. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

I don't think that's the same one. The P is missing in the product number and the resolution and other specs are different. (Unless this *isn't* the one you were talking of: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/23-D...1920x1080-10001-300-cd-m-5-ms-Cinema-Quality-!!

18. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

I really thought about this monitor but turned off by the CCFL backlight. After seeing a samsung 23" LED screen at Bestbuy I told myself my next monitor would use LEDs. The blacks were so much better than every other monitor there.

I wonder what Bit-tech's stance on the real world difference between LED and CCFL backlit monitors is? I'd really like to read a review on some.

19. John_T

John_T Minimodder

bogie170, I just wanted to say thanks for posting that website up - it's brilliant.

I've tried on&off for months to find info on an old monitor I have to no avail - I pulled it off that site in 2 seconds flat. Excellent!

20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

The review here seems similar to the CustomPC review which isn't surprising. However if it is indeed the same review (the starting paragraph is the same... don't have the mag on me to check the rest), then i think it fails to put across how good CPC (or Bit-tech) found it (or at least, my interpretation of the review).

The CustomPC review, due to it being published sooner, actually had it assumed as a PVA panel and reviewed it as one, noting it's low price and good colours. A letter in the following issue which questioned the panel actually had one of the writers (i forget their name) phoning Dell up multiple times to confirm whether or not the panel was TN.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, since as you say, in general experience that is the case. But then again, i don't see how you can argue with such conviction when you don't have experience of this particular monitor.

I'm sure that my comments won't do anything to change your mind, but at the end of the day, if you haven't seen this monitor or disregard it because you believe it to be like every other TN panel, it's you that's spending extra money isn't it?

Tags: Add Tags