1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

... you can view YouTube vids on the iPhone and therefore the iPa. I'm not sure why you think having no flash will stop you watching?

2. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

Possible repost.

Hitler doesn't seem too impressed with it.

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Hey, you're the one who mentioned sitting on the beach for 3 hours. Personally, I could definitely see its value when sitting at the airport for 1-2 hours, and during the flight, and when relaxing in my hotel room just before bed.

Still, I have to wonder about the Microsoft Courier. Nexxo may be assuming a cost of at least $1500, but I just can't get over the fact that all we have right now is rumors and an animated video release only a couple months ago showing design concepts. I'll admit that it is pretty, and the design concepts are pretty intriguing. On the other hand, Apple have actually released what I think is a good product backed by an already established content delivery system that provides music, movies, games, books, and more.

5. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Well I remember on my scuba trip on an island, i spent an hour or two hammocking every now and then. this could come in handy....

6. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

No camera
    can't multitask
    cant split the screen
    small HDD
    no input ports i.e. SD
    no phone
    overpriced for very little

Steel and Glass
    slick n slim
    best user interface
    Apple ...............................I'll buy the ipad2

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This is one of the iPads rivals, and personally, i prefer the look of the iPad, still, have a look:
    Archos 7

Sam

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The TC1100 weighs 4 lbs., has a maximum of four hours battery life (more like three) and would not survive a drop. I've actually handled one. You cannot expand or customize it anymore than any laptop.

In a portable device build qualities and material are actually important considerations.

For you. For other it offers the functionality they want -- without having to set up, install and tweak things first.

Not to sound condescending, but this is what makes me wonder whether you actually understand product design and manufacturing issues (and costs). I am talking about sapphire glass:

Sapphire glass can be found in watches, the Motorola Razr outside screen (it was the only transparent material that was sufficiently strong at the required 0.3 mm thickness that the design demanded) and, incidentally, the iPhone and iPod Touch (the prototypes had plastic hut it was too prone to scratching so Apple had to plump for the much more expensive sapphire glass). As you may guess, growing a huge slab of sapphire is a complicated and costly process. Slicing off a wafer of sapphire and polishing it to a sheet is a complex and costly process. The price of a sheet of sapphire glass increases exponentially with its size.

:sigh: The cost is in the method of production. Your server case is just folded and riveted sheet aluminum; the iPad (or Macbook Pro for that matter) is CNC'd aluminium. Casting would be cheaper but would still require machine finishing.

Now note that the 4" screen, 32Gb iPod Touch costs $299,--. the 10" screen, 64Gb iPad of similar spec (Wifi, but no 3G) costs $499,-- . All snapping into perspective now?

The Microsoft Courier is very nice, although again Apple got there first in the 80's with the Knowledge Navigator (although not shown in the videos, the design was that one could close the screen like a book). The real problem is how to turn such an idea into an affordable and practical product.

Take my Tablet PC: the Motion Computing LE 1600. In 2005 it was the cutting edge of tablets, until it was superseded in 2007 by the LE 1700 which has a Core Duo CPU and 3G. They both are the best of the best in Tablet PC design: only 20mm thick, 3lbs (4lbs with a battery that takes running time to 8 hours, except if you use handwriting recognition a lot, in when case battery life shrinks to a third of that) due to a light rigid magnesium frame covered by glass fibre reinforced plastic. The screen is covered with anti-glare toughened glass (as someone who ordered anti-glare covered plexiglass to cover the 5" screen in the bezel of his modded PC I can tell you that this coating costs!). These are Tablets that will survive a drop, as the company will happily demonstrate in their videos.

The price is accordingly: $ 2400,-- for the basic version.

The Courier would face the challenge of incorporating two expensive screens with a decent runtime battery and all the usual processing power in a fairly robust hinged design. Housing-wise, it would be like two LE 1700's folded together. the weight would be at least 5 lbs although --at considerable expense-- the thickness could possibly be kept around 20mm. Since a screen on its own costs about $300,-- I don't see a decently manufactured unit cost less than $3000,--. Still hungry?

Last edited: 30 Jan 2010
  9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

[​IMG]

:/

dryrice likes this.
  10. Nexxo

How much does a 64Gb USB memory key cost? Ooh, $175,--.

How much does a 10" touch screen cost? $135,--

How much does a 10" sheet of saphire glass cost? Well, a 50 x 50mm sheet costs £115,--

'nuff said.

M7ck likes this.
  11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Nexxo, I have a lot of respect for your reasoning in your other posts, but even you must realise that Apple is not paying the market price for any of these items?

12. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

How much are you paying for a 64gig usb? Talk about being ripped off.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Show me anything comparable to the iPad that costs less and you ahve a valid point, until then the best you can do is to STFU.
    You call them people who like these devices fanbois? You're fanbois yourself, just of the opposite team!

If you don't like the iPad, then good for you, but there's alot of people who'll make good use of the product, as it matches theirlifestyle.

The problem with most people here in the forums is, that you expect a device that matches the hardwarde-specs and flexibility of a laptop or full blown PC.
    The iPad was never designed to be anything like a netbook or a laptop nor a PC... it's designed to be a digital organizer with videoplayback-options.

And again, wait for other tablets released and then start to compare them. Asus, MSi and others release their products sometime around summer this year and they'll offer not anything more then the iPad, if you start looking for leaked informations about them.

M7ck likes this.
  14. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

question is kids what is the ipad marketed as? a browser? a large ipod touch? a pc?
    with the fact that it has not been given a release date i am sure there will be many changes due to the fact of the critical news.
    i do believe it is overpriced regarding that it was made in a 3rd world nation and the fact that supposed to be "eco-friendly" i just dont really care.

15. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Yes, because Apple will naturally be ordering each component one at a time, with each iPad being painstakingly hand assembled by a bunch of trapist monks in a secluded monastery somewhere.

16. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Err, it's estimated shipping date is March for the standard WiFi versions, and April for the WiFi/3g model. And from what i have read, that is in both the US and in the UK, going by both apple.com and apple.com/uk.

The only changes that could happen between now and then are software based, namely the OS.

Sam

17. Nexxo

No, they're paying trade, which is about 55% of these prices. In a similar vein the assertion that the mark-up on a $499,-- iPad is $200,-- sounds about right. But consider this:

55% of $135,-- is $74,-- (screen)
    55% of $175,-- is $96,25 (memory)
    Now consider the sapphire glass. A 50x50mm sheet is sold for £115,-- or $183,--. A screen twice that size (for a 10 inch screen) would be about $400,--? Take 55% of that: $220,--

We are already exceeding the manufacturing price of a basic iPad. Now add the CNC'd aluminium housing, the Li-ion battery, the CPU and PCB etc. and the price clocks up.

Apple will certainly have negotiated some tight bulk discounts on parts, but it is not as if they are getting them at 10% of trade or something. They are not making as huge a mark-up as you may think. Hi tech costs.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nexxo, we know your passionate, but seriously?
    Its like you've got a vendetta out against everyone who dislikes the iPad or whatever you want to call it.

19. Pieface

Pieface Modder

There's so many people who have a vendetta against a product that they've never touched, because of the company who make it. Nexxo has a good point.

20. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder