1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iFail- wait sorry, iPad, is officially out

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkLord7854, 27 Jan 2010.

1. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

you need to answer your first question yourself and let us know what it means to you.

secondly as someone else suggested the release date is apparently 60 days from the official announcement. where ya been grandpa?

thirdly, what CRITICAL news?!

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Nexxo is damn right on the materials, what he seems to be justifying is the uselessness of the device.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Nexxo, as ever, makes his points with flawless elegance.

Also,

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yes, it is a reasonably priced product, but the issue for me is that it could cost £50 or £500 and I still wouldn't be able to take it to lectures and work on it.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Are you saying that my pointing out the irrationality of the many criticisms of the iPad is irrational?

Think it over.
    That depends on what you want to use it for. As a George Foreman grill? Probably not. A hacking tool? No. A full-fledged folding or gaming rig? Naah. A mobile media player, e-mail, Internet and e-reader? Hey, might just work, what with the iTunes delivery system already in place...

You forget: we are in the minority. We hack, tweak and stretch hardware well beyond its original spec and application. The majority of mortals just wants to use it as a means to do specific stuff, without having to think too hard about how to make it do that specific stuff.

6. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Nexxo is right, we are looking at it from techie points of view, rather then the average person (who knows dick about tech).

7. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Amongst the crazy talk there shines some intelligence.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is not what it was designed for (unfortunately; if it had something like OneNote I'd be first in the queue to buy it). But I expect apps will follow that will allow you to store, read and annotate .PDFs (Mendeley for iPad? Almost inevitable) and allow you to scribble notes with a stylus of some sort.

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You're right.... I don't. What's more, I don't care. If someone tried to make me part with my hard earned cash for a portable computer/media device, and started banging on about sapphire glass and aluminium, I'd seriously start to doubt said device. I'd be expecting them to be blowing me away with what it can actually do.

This is my point. Why bother? Why not just cast it, and machine it? Does anyone actually care except Apple fans? It's a utile device, not a fashion accessory.

Not really, because I think the stupid iPod is outrageously priced compared to other capable devices. I think we'll never agree on this. I know people who have a iPod Touch, AND a iPhone, and carry them both around. LOL. Surely if you have a iPod Touch... just any old GSM phone with do won't it? These same people will no doubt now have their iPod Touch, their iPhone, and their iPad with them :)

You're really starting to sound like a proper Apple Fanboy now. Who cares who got their first... 20 or 30 years ago.

I told you... yes. It's not about the money per se, it's about being ripped off by pretty, fabulously expesive products that don't really do anything.

Courier will NOT be £3K Nexxo, as you well know. It's untenable as a mainstream product at that price.

Look... I don't want exotic materials to enable it to withstand massive drops, or earthquakes, or nuclear attack. I want it to work! If it stops working as it should if I drop it, then it's my fault for dropping it. I think most people will agree. If you want the OPTION of a super tough device for extreme outdoor use on location, then I should have the OPTION of paying for it.

Here's some advice: Don't drop it butter fingers! I have loads of stuff that would be broken if I dropped it... it doesn't make it bad.

Normally, you give a well reasoned debate, but you've got Apple blinkers on at the moment. I doubt I'm alone in thinking that all this talk of materials and build quality is just so much fluff. Most people are only bothered about what it can do.... the people who won't be using this as a status symbol, or jewellery.

It will sell by the ship load. I'm sure all the sheep will buy it, and I'm sure they'll be happy with it. So they can now carry their iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad around with their iNsecurity.

I disagree with everything you're saying for the same reason I don't have a Mac Pro: Because I have a machine that's more capable, at half the cost.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2010
  10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

If that happens, I might be persuaded to pick one up, although I'd need some proper consensus on the screen's aptness as an e-reader. By the time that happens though (and the device is released) there should at least be some sufficient (if not directly comparably) competition to make the decision harder for me.

11. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

But they thought of that! They excluded ports! :wallbash:

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Well Done, you have tried to put down a good argument by using the most petty of responses. By calling someone a fanboy, when you in fact seem a complete fanboy yourself, and that's why you instantly dismiss an apple product with never trying one. I mean you moan about a Mac Pro, yet you've never owned one? I've owned a Sony Vaio, and have my reasons not to buy one, I've owned a Dell, and a HP and the same I will choose other products over them. I've never tried other products though, and I don't instantly dismiss them without even trying.

You have never used a Mac Pro before, so you are dismissing a product, with a completely different OS without even owning one? I'd understand more if it was a Windows laptop that uses the same OS and was expensive compared to other laptops that has more powerful specs.

As I've said I've owned various laptops in my time, and my current macbook is the quickest, has the best and easiest OS, and is by far the best build quality as the aluminium brings a much sturdier build and my bags split open a couple of times. Now with a Plastic laptop it would have cracked and probably broke, but as its aluminium it has a few dents on the side.

13. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

*looks around* I'm pretty sure I'm on a boat, so let me continue.

When I am on Windows, Mac OS, or Ubuntu and open up IE, Firefox, or Safari and navigate to YouTube, Hulu, Video-Streaming Site X-- I have to download Adobe Flash in order to watch their videos.

Many other websites have embedded Flash videos, Flash intro screens (though you can live without these), and what many people are thinking of probably: Flash games. Adult-Swim.com, AddictingGames.com, Facebook, there's a huge list I'm sure.

Someone posted that people are learning how to stream videos without Flash... really? How. Show me. Seriously. I'm not saying Flash is good, resource friendly, or safe. I'm saying its what we have at the moment. I would love to see a new -anything- replace Flash.

I have gotten my computer infected with viruses, despite firewalls and antivirus because of Flash vulnerabilities countless times. (Yes I could use No-Script, I could also not connect to the Internet, but is it that unreasonable to ask for something safe AND friendly?) I don't know any other architecture currently in use that is THIS prone to malicious scripts and tinkering.

*looks around* Yup, I think I'm still on a boat. So unless I'm wrong and missed it-- please fill me in on how Flash isn't relevant.

P.S. - Why is Flash so vulnerable to malicious code? I'm sure Adobe isn't just sitting on their asses going: "Well, lets not do anything about this." They have updates all the time. Flash isn't NEW, its been around for well over a decade. Seriously, what the hell? :confused:

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

In response to your request for a good Flash replacement, HTML5 does a decent job of streaming video- Youtube have an HTML5 version running already (switch it on in their 'test-tube' beta section). But yeah, no Flash (yet) sucks badly, and is kinda essential for web use.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I still don't see any reason to mock about the iPad, aslong as you don't have any other similar product on the shelves to compare it to.

And you people need to understand, that stuff like the iPhone or iPad etc are lifestyle accesoires. They're not ment to be the best technology available.

You don't buy a Lotus Elise because it's the best car either, do you?

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

I can see myself getting one, even though I'm possibly one of the most anti-apple people alive, besides my iPod (which I must grudgingly admit is the best MP3 player around) I don't own a single thing apple, infact I want to sell my iPod and get a SONY MP3 player, the thing is, this cannot be compared to a tablet PC for 2 fundamental reasons

1.) Traditionally Tablet PCs are clunky chunky monsters lack fully resistive screens for ease of use with the finger the way the iPhone/iPad has
    2.) All tablet PCs are priced up high at like £1000+ whereas the iPad has been designed to take on the Netbook market in an apple way

Its like netbooks, 4-5 years ago the idea was laughable that a computer small enough to fit in those useless micro backpacks people seem to have these days could do anything more than run Command Prompt and MS DOS without costing the Earth, but the Netbook has redefind the ultraportable laptop market, asus did this almost single handedly, I can't rule apple out to do the same... this thing is so thin it can sit in your messenger bag/briefcase next to your Smartphone, MP3 and other tech junk that has been miniaturized to a state where your bag can have more flash storage than your PC

17. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Perhaps with the money you would have saved buying a Windows laptop, you could have afforded a sturdier bag.

18. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

You wouldn't buy the Elise if it didn't turn left just because Lotus were too stubborn to allow it, would you?

19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Do you have an iPhone?

I only ask because you don't seem to know the YouTube app exists on iPhone and therefore it will exist on iPad too. I simply load up my YouTube app and there are all of the YouTube videos. The benefit of loading in an app is that you don't get trojans or virus - I guess ...

I've never been infected through flash, and after hearing how easy it apparently is I'm grateful that Apple negate it! lol

20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

And a slower OS for a laptop. The only real benefit that Windows offers above OSX to me is gaming, and I have a gaming PC for that. If you've never owned a Macbook, then you really don't have an unbiased opinion. As I've said through the thread most people on this board are Anti-Apple, yet never owned an apple product. I've owned several Windows products (And My main PC still uses it), but for a laptop I want ease of use, quick easy access, good build quality and also something good for Photography which the Macbook provides me best out of all of them.

If you've owned an Apple product, then fair enough you're entitled to an opinion as you've had first hand experience. It's like people who state they hate all seafood because they actually just hate something like Oysters, you have a slight insight into the whole category, and instantly dismiss it without any more of an experience.