1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CoolAge X120TF CPU Cooler review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Cogage isn't exactly a 'newcomer'.

It's Thermalright under a different name.

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

What else is new, then?

This sink would probably do fantastically with a Slipstream, Kaze Ultra, or Sanyo-Denki fan... I would just worry about the wind noise with that fin density. To be honest, you could probably make it work with the fan tested, too - just put it in a pull fashion on a shroud.

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Correct, Cogage isn't a newcomer.

CoolAge however, who make this product, reviewed in this review *are*.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Served!

7. Muunsyr

Muunsyr What's a Dremel?

My limited knowledge of fluid mechanics tells me that that what is actually needed here isn't necessarily a high CFM fan, but one with higher pressure to create the same airflow. Higher CFM will of course cool more effectively, but one needs higher CFM through the heatsink/rad, and actual CFM will not be the same as the fan's maximum (or rated) CFM. You can get two fans with the same rated CFM, and the one with the higher pressure will perform better. Likewise, you can get high speed fans with very low (static) pressures, and these will perform worse than a lower CFM fan with higher pressure. Hence the reason you see 'high static pressure' being bandied about by manufacturers. You are correct about the denser fins requiring more force, but force and CFM don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Just felt the need for a little clarification and for the most part I am probably being a little pedantic.

Cheers,
    Muunsyr

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Well, to be fair the best test would be to passively use all coolers, because it then won't be affected by the choice of fan used.

Your CPU might cook, though. ;)

9. mickjc

mickjc What's a Dremel?

Most coolers aren't designed to radiate passively; they need forced air to get rid of the heat. It seems like the heat transfer to the fins is working well as they are getting hot. The fin design looks good - they are just too close together.

Cheers,
    Mick.

Tags: Add Tags