1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP Slate specs leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Apr 2010.

1. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Maybe I'm missing the point here but why use win7? It adds £90 odd to the price tag and extends boot time (?). The advantage of proper office applications and direct X seem redundant on a slate device.

More to the point though, more netbooks with swivel touch screens please

2. rollo

rollo Modder

lol waffle you either never used the OS or just HATE apple

as its a mobile OS done right same with andriod convert either into this and id buy it. Instead what you have is windows 7 which doesnt run well on anything below 2gb of ram.

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

even its downside is still more of an upside then Apples iPad, but what abut MSI version running Android? its similar to the iPad but can run or will run soon Flash and it can multitask unlike the iPad. so either way the iPad is only good for those brainwashed mac fans.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, independent tests have shown 14 hours of video playback.

And if you want a realistic idea of the battery life on the HP Slate, think of that of the Archos 9 PC Tablet.

The Courier is still a Flash animation. There is no prototype hardware; there isn't even an OS running on a mock-up platform. It is still just an idea.

Android is a viable alternative OS. But multitasking (as owners of the Palm Pre found out) eats battery. And no matter how many shiny features your tablet has, if the battery life sucks it is just another pretty looking brick.

5. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

Will 1GB RAM will really be enough for Win7 (unless HP does some serious customisation and trimming)? I think the danger here is that consumers will think 'Windows 7='proper' OS=can do all sorts' even though I don't feel this form factor is really designed for that.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

That Archos 9 ran Win 7 starter, which, as I understood it, was basically the version for developing countries with very minimal features. Wasn't Microsoft talking about a specific version of Win7 designed for touchscreen devices? If we could have something like that but stripped down to run with minimal overhead, while still offering the compatibility of a Windows OS then we might have something here. Although, I would be interested to see a few tailored Linus distros on machines like this.

At the end of the day though, I don't see myself owning one anytime soon. It would be nice to have a desktop for gaming and regular use, a smart phone for use on the go and a tablet for use sitting on the sofa, however my smart phone can do that anyway so I don't see how it's really necessary.

7. Daza

Daza MR D to you.

Im sorry, just had to pop in and say that Im a little disappointed in the readership on bit-tech lately.

First off, has anyone ran win7 on a 1.6ghz cpu and 1gb of ram, if so wth were you trying to do, I can run win7 home edition on my 1.2ghz atom with 1gb of ram surf the web, watch iplayer (and the like) use basic word processing programs and access iTunes from my server, now been sat on my bed and to be able to do that is great in the morning. Yes its not going to run crysis but why would I want it to, Ive got a power sucking demon to do that.

Im very interested in the slate purely as it offers freedom in which OS I would like to use that and I will actually be able to PRINT from it unlike the iPad sure.

Sure the battery is only 5hrs, but in this day and age when are you going to be away from a power socket for more than 5hrs, I only get 2hrs on my net-book which is more than enough.

For basic usage on the web, tv catch up, word processing I think it will surprise a few, have an open mind jeeez.

And yes sure its a tad smaller than the iPad, but use an 8.9" screen for long enough and you get use to it, its not a desktop replacement people get use to it.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Blame Intel they set the requirements for the Atom and what other hardware would be spec for it.

9. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

The only thing that worries me is that it has "pen/digitiser support". Does that mean it doesn't have a regular resistive touchscreen? I already have a slate tablet which I love, but I wish it had a dual resistive/digitiser screen,

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

A larger screen, or equal to the iPad, and a large battery life an this thing would be golden

11. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

the thing is no one has appeared to notice a pattern in peoples comments:
    I want a bigger screen and better battery life, or it is i want better hardware and have it cheaper... The problem is folks, at the moment, most technology has all been aimed to one particular market, so it wont appeal to certain market 'groups' Those wanting a bigger screen or bigger res need to go to netbooks and laptops. Those looking for better hardware that is cheaper are desktops. Those wanting portability are in the laptop section. Its simple, any device released from now to the past has concentrated on one market segment. This is simply like the netbook, just you hold it rather than rest it on your lap, the only advantage is you can walk with it, and look like your from the future... Ipad and HP unfortunately are selling big in the U.S. only because its 'different' but exactly the same as their netbook equivilants. Mac OS is fast yes, but limited if you want certain software, Windows 7, like vista is still slower than XP, and as such the hardware is not really upto to the task.
    The end.
    Next month the Iflop and the HP 7.1/2inch floppy. Purpose: Expensive load of non-sense that you already have, but you physically hold or use it differently.

12. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

As for battery lives, i think instead of trying to cap the hardware, just make a more powerful battery!!! But nevermind eh!

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

As a university student who is also flying all over the place pretty often, I can assure you that >5hrs of battery life is a boon. And for the record, netbooks are pathetic. Having used an MSI Wind U123 (N270, 2GB RAM, XP) and the 32GB WiFi iPad, I definitely know which device is getting my money.

Yeah sure, no one's questioning the fact that it's a capable device. Except it's not on sale yet and I rather doubt it'll do half a million units in a day.

Use a 9.7" screen for long and you get used to it too. :p

In summation, you needn't be surprised at the readership on bit. People can have requirements that are occasionally perfectly met by your neighborhood Devil's Workshop (Apple Store). Live and let live.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It may not be the dream device handed down from the tech-Heavens, but I doubt anyone here can deny that it's a step in the right direction.

-Runs a real OS. We all want our devices to be as capable as possible, a full fledged OS is a part of that.
    -Greater I/O options. Again, we want to be able to do anything our desktops can, only from a portable device.
    -More powerful hardware. Always a good thing when price allows.
    -Less price. Always a good thing when hardware isn't compromised.

Unfortunately, current technology does not allow these features without cutting back on the battery life. But that does not mean a device shouldn't try and pave the way for future devices to follow.

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

my kids have sff desktops running atom 330, 2Gb ram, windows 7 and have the aero interface running just fine, they are not game playing machines, but they serve the purpose, web browsing, and homework.

16. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

330s are dual cores? Think that helps a fair bit with the whole win 7 thing.

The iPad will likely appear to be better than this simpily because it does not multitask. Start up email and an excel sheet and it will likely start to slow down. Unless they implement that into win 7 there really is no competition in percieved responsiveness. Maybe they could stick a netbook remix of linux on it. That might help somewhat.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

The "new" Atom genaration N450 gets delivered almost solely with win 7, and is supposed to run longer than on XP. Win7 seems to have a problem with the little RAM though (XP less so)
    My netbook is N450 based, running XP on 1 gig of ram, with a 10" 1024x600 screen runs for 8 hours with WiFi on.
    Doesn't have a touchscreen though, does that eat power?

Multitasking is something essential...surfing and having skype in the background for instance...try that with an Ipad.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Read this review and you'll see why I can.

I'd like you to explain what a "real" OS is, and how the iPad OS is not a "real" OS. Seriously.
    With great power comes great batteries, weight, keyboard...
    Price does not allow. That's the problem. To get the Tablet you want you pay $1500,-- and get a battery life of 3-4 hours. Big whoop.
    Do you want fries with that? There is no such thing as a free lunch.

The iPad does. It's going to catch on, applications will be developed for it, and competitors are going to try and make competing products. Some of them may even make the grade (I predict: Google's tablet running Android; perhaps if Microsoft sees the blindingly obvious: an Atom tablet running Windows Mobile 7).

It is kind of funny. Apple releases a less than perfect product and everybody gets out the pitchforks and torches. HP releases announces a less-than-perfect product and everybody says: "Hey, it's a step in the right direction... at least it is trying to pave the way...". :rolleyes:

********. Apple got there first: it has a working product, on the shelf right now, at a fairly keen price, with all the media delivery infrastructure already in place. Y'all are staring yourself blind on the hardware. The hardware don't matter dick if it does not have decent software to run on it, and a battery life that doesn't turn the concept of portability into a joke. Two hours? I might as well use my desktop machine.

And what's really annoying is that you don't realise that Apple has the hardware --only it is so well-designed that you aren't even aware of its existence. You think touch screens are simple? You think the algorithms required to make sense of your chubby fingertips trying to poke, scroll, drag and pinch are easy? Try working on a Motorola touch-screen phone and you'll see what I mean.

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Push notification.

While I see you point, and do agree, you can't deny that notifications work just as well.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hot damn Nexxo, if I didn't know better I'd say you were an iPad fanboy. :p

Tags: Add Tags