1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming iPad Games Reviewed: Is it Good For Gaming?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Apr 2010.

1. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

The lack of flash kills it surely .
    Personal I'm waiting for a decent ereader to come out

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

The iPad will make a great gaming device *if* appropriate games are made for it. Action games just don't work with touch screen controls (I'm looking at you Geometry Wars). It's a lot like the Nintendo DS, everyone doubted it until they made games that played to it's strengths and not it's weaknesses.

Also, I think OnLive has just found it's first useful platform. Pair an iPad with a bluetooth controller and it has the potential to be interesting.

3. whiskers

whiskers What's a Dremel?

If there's one thing team bit-tech generally agreed on, it is really cool. Where the arguments about the iPad did break out though, was when we confronted the question, "what's it for?"

That's my experience, exactly. It's a cool, fast device, but I have no purpose for it. Perhaps, sometimes it would be nice to sit on my bed and read blogs/forums, but... I'm not going to spend $500+ just to do that (and I should really start going outside more).

If the iPad could play point-and-click games that don't demand too much from the graphics/controls departments, such as Samorost, Machinarium, Commandos (there's a 4-pack game for $5), I would love to have one. But, alas.

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

They could easily have made it a decent gaming system: just add a few small buttons around the bezel for controls.
    (perhaps a psp style mini-analog stick and two buttons, duplicated for portrait/landscape modes)

Touchscreen is great for certain game types, but touchscreen-only is more of a hindrance than a feature to gaming as a whole.
    The moment you're forced to try to emulate hardware controls on a touchscreen is the point where the touchscreen-only concept is holding the device back.

It's less of a problem for mobile-phone style mini-games, but the bigger the game gets the more serious the problem.

5. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I would buy ONLY for ONE thing: to watch p0rn where I want, nothing else.

But no, too expensive only for that.

I'll pass!

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

"And we have strong wrists!"

Seriously guys? I'm sure there's a less innuendous way of saying the same thing..

7. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

......opting instead for a 4:3 display with a native resolution of 1,024 x 768 - so it can't display HD video either.

So are you saying that a 4:3 image can't be HD?
    What about the Wizard Of Oz?
    You could play that on an iPad in its native 4:3 format....and it would still be high definition.

8. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

You took the words right out of my mouth. What exactly is new or interesting about this? Its just a big ipod and just looks like a comically over sized prop from a bad movie.

Its probably a cool toy and all but is there any practicality? I know it could never replace my laptop for school, its not exactly packed with features, stuck running only "apps." I would be a lot more interested in a 5-7" tablet that could do things, useful things like running "programs." But for all those hipsters that went out and bought one, have fun, good luck trying to get your money's worth.

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

It cannot support a standardised HD compliant resolution. 720p requires 1280x720. Close, but no cigar.

It's all irrelevant anyway, as for a device that size ED (480p) is fine.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Pffft, still not impressed.

11. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Much like bit-tech and CPC can be with articles... hoho!

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Missed that the first time though, wouldn't they want to have a little more impressive of a chip than a A8. Embedded computing has come a long way recently and thats all Apple is willing to give you?

13. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Is that the HP Mini 311? I have that too, £250 new (so much cheaper than an iPad), and I agree its great for gaming and a great buy.

The atom CPU's a bit of a drag tho and its not as cool and sexy as the iPad "sigh"

14. rollo

rollo Modder

End of the day, is cost a factor in the purchase to those that have brought it. In 99% of the cases I bet it isn't

Most people love apple products, and will buy whatever they release

Fact is your paying for a peace of the future minus the inside tech

imagine in 10years some CPU and top end card in something like this we would all go wow

still I'll have one on release as it's a must own product even with no real use

15. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

lol how is it a must own product? I've sat quietly through this but can no longer stifle my bemusement. I keep hearing people talk about this as the future and how it changes things and its "potential" what a load of bollocks. Tablets are an unpleasant form factor for many of the "uses" people have come up with the justify one of these. The whole tech industry has gone tablet mad and its really bothering me that I don't see the hook. Obviously commenting on Bit-tech means im a pretty techie guy but for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these let alone the praise thats been given to it. I feel like there's some conspiracy going on that im not involved in, or that the worlds gone mad. Then there's people that say "ah but when the keyboard comes out" WHAT!? thats another expense and makes it even more like a super expensive netbook with a fraction of the features and real usability. You would also need a dock to go with that keyboard so it sits upright.

Even writing this write now im just so bemused. I. Just. Don't. Get. IT!! oh and gaming on this? niche at best.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Like runadumb I've tried to sit quietly through this thread as I was reading, letting people have their opinions and trying not to be a dick about it just because I don't feel the same, but that right there is one of the most oxy-moronic statements I've ever heard. What legitimate reason is there to own one if it admittedly has no use?

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Doesn't look too bad.

18. MitchBomcanhao

MitchBomcanhao What's a Dremel?

does it run farmville? if not, its not a gaming machine nowadays xD

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Better question. Will it blend?

20. Kipish Walter

Kipish Walter What's a Dremel?

I would be great for boardgames like Talisman or TT wargames.

Tags: Add Tags