1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Does anyone really need a 1Kw PSU?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 May 2010.

1. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

i did to see if i can be done it acually oc 6.5 ghz

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah it goes way back to the g80.. people were buying into nvidia's minimum power specs until we saw a few guru's running sli and even tri sli with a 600w antec power supply.. they didn't pull what nvidia says but it sold alot of higher end psu's :D

the backlash to all that can still be felt today.. but I agree with you- just run over what you need and be done with it.. if you cut it too close and you have to upgrade later on- who's the real bozo :D

3. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

One thing we all can agree on: When a PSU is running close to it`s maximum output, the PSU fan will spin at a high RPM causing noise

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Surely it is in the nature of technological innovation that parts become more power efficient, relatively less power hungry when compared to their predecessors*. An example would be be Ati's 5 series compared to their 4 series. Which would infer that a 750w psu would continue to be adequate (given age and use) for most people going forward.

*nvidia seem to want run counter to the laws of evolution, but that's their bed and they're welcome to lay in it!

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Exactly! Why try and save a few quid on a less powerful PSU when you can be confident down the road it'll handle the next generation stuff.

6. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Some are noisy are low RPM also, as the fan is noisy. Its not just the RPM but the design of the fan. Had an Akasa 400w once, that at idle sounded like someone blowing across the top of an empty milk bottle.

7. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

My PC crunches away at Seti@Home and the future PC will use 3 graphics cards(three GTX 295 cards) as 470 and 480 cards don't do Seti or any other Boinc/Cuda project worth their salt. So My psus range from 850w to 900w to 1050w currently, Later on I plan on getting a 1600w Ultra X4 psu as an upgrade to one of My 3 PCs(I live in the USA), video cards and cpu overclocking take some power. So yeah for some It's a necessary evil so to speak.

8. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

generally speaking - ULTRA powersupplies should be avoided at all costs especially if you seeking to run a very high end/wattage system. they are really not that great & most of the people i know from the US dont use them either. ROSEWILL are sorta in the same boat but i hear less complaints about them compared to ULTRA.

9. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Well lets see, Then to run 3 GTX295 video cards(Not any ATi cards, Not yet at least or any 470 or 480 cards, their worse than ATi 5800 series cards for Double Precision support) what do You suggest? Oh and It better have a power switch on the back or It's a no go here, Why? Overclocking an Asus motherboard, As It helps after a failed over clock to turn the power supply off and then on again, As I don't like pulling on a power cord any. Mind You the psu in the case now is an Enermax 1050w unit which is good enough for only two graphics cards or three If a 2nd psu for the motherboard and other components is used, Considering I want to water cool the P7P55D Pro motherboard(i5 750 cpu) which is in a HAF-932 case, So what's Your suggestion?

10. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Like someone else said, it's not all about the wattage number, the quality of the PSU itself is a big one - it's probably the most important part of the whole system. Back when I was a kid and niave about computers I had a Pentium 3 running off some cheap Chinese no-name PSU. When it went it fried basically every component in the system. Won't make that mistake again.

11. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

I never said It was about the wattage, It has 117A on a single 12v rail, Which is good enough for 3 GTX295 cards with enough left over for the rest of the PC, So far there has only been one review of the 1600w X4 psu and It's Here(Which looks like a short review or a Preview maybe), If Bit-tech ever makes a review of the 1600w X4, I'll read It, Provided bit-tech ever does a review of this particular X4 that is.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Does it Hover? :D

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah! so you're it, you're the guy they designed these monsters for. :clap:

14. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

And I never said my comment was in reference to yours. The someone else in this case was Lockon Stratos

15. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

I thrash my PSU.
    Running an overclocked E6600, 4gb RAM, 2x320gb, 2x500gb, 1x74gb raptor, 1x128gb SSD, 3 120mm fans, a GTX275 and a 7600GS all mashed into a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 which in itself is probably pretty hungry.
    All that gets fed by an Enermax 485w PSU. Doesn't miss a beat (except when I do something dumb) and it's been running in this configuration, give or take a couple of bits, for a couple of years now.

16. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I have a 600Watt OCZ moduair running:

4x 500gb HD's
    1x DVDw
    Athlon 4800 X2 s939
    128x256 LCD screen
    6x Bulkin button lights
    1x Custom circuit for lights
    6x Fans
    4x CCFL lights
    1x 8800GT
    Asus m2n mobo
    power for WC Pump
    fan controller

255W max powerdrain on the socket on full load (playing bench, running hd copy, all lights on)

17. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Ok, I didn't know, You're forgiven. :D

18. Jediron

Jediron What's a Dremel?

Ha, that has nothing to do with a underpowered PSU and much more to do with the quality of the PSU. You may be suprised, but thosen Coolermaster PSU's are not known for their top notch quality(unless maybe the expensive ones).
    Futhermore it is always possible you bought by accidence a poor produkt, even today that happens, with all kind of products.

A good 500watt PSU form a good manufacturer is more then capable to run your components. You sound like someone who's care engine broke, for all the reasons but not it's horsepower and say: well, it must be too light, i need a bigger engine....lol

50% load is most optimal, but more is hardly a problem. most good PSU's deliver up to about 80 a 90% without much hassle.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1044-page4.html
    Up to 400watt is no problem whatsoever for this PSU. That's about 440watt "from the wall", people. So a GTX470 will work flawless with it and even a GTX480 can do.

And if you take a look at this:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1044-page5.html

You will see that a 650watt rated PSU can manage 500watt without any problem; that's 550watt "from the wall"; minimum. 600 from the wall is no issue either.

This 850watt PSU from Seasonic can take up and over 700watt "from the wall" without any issue:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article898-page4.html

650watt netto
    51c degrees celsius
    84,7% efficiency
    42Dba

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  19. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Very interesting article, makes me glad I went for my PCP&P 610 watt PSU rather than a generic 800/1000w PSU!

20. leslie

leslie Just me!

A psu capable of running your system isn't enough and wattage ratings are worthless.

You need extra wattage for efficiency, upgrades, heat, the effects of aging, falsified wattage ratings.

Also, just because you have enough watts, doesn't mean you have enough watts where you need them. You may simply not have enough wattage on the 12v rail because many manufacturers place too much of the wattage on the wrong rails. Then there is/was the whole multiple rail phenomenon where my 550 watt quad rail psu was unable to power my Radeon 1900AIW.

Is my Pc P&C 750 watt overkill? Maybe, but I know it will be stable, run cool and last a long time.

Tags: Add Tags