1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Far Cry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Feb 2010.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I recently bought this in the steam sale (£2.50 or something like that).

Whilst I enjoyed the game when I first played it (up until the mutants of course....why .... why..... why?!) I can't seem to get into it again.

I think this may be partially down to the graphics. Whilst they look good in the round (even today) the pop up and pop in of textures (move from static textures to 3d rendered objects) is abysmal. I have tweaked the config settings to give a stupidly high draw distance and whilst this has improved things I still notice the pop up.

Does anyone have any links for tweaking the steam version of far cry? (beyond the normal config options).

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I never understood why the last level wasn't the hardest. The Dam was the hardest by a mile. I had to look online to find out how to get past the first part. Even then it's pot luck rather than skill.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I still play Far Cry occasionally, though I rarely play to the end. The first half of the game is superb, I loved creeping through the jungle and sniping the mercs. I didn't mind the Trigens initially - meaning the first ones that you encounter. They are fast and lethal, it made it more challenging, and often frenzied.

Then, you get to the final third of the game and the other Trigens start cropping up - that is invariably where I switch off and uninstall it. What a way to kill off an otherwise great game.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It took me 2 years to finish Far Cry, infuriating save games points the main cause in the delay and meant I gave up on many occasions but always went back eventually.

Great game though and one I felt a real sense of achievement by finishing.

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

From http://www.tweakguides.com/Farcry_11.html

If you don’t like the way in which Far Cry automatically saves your progress through the single player campaign at certain save points, and want to save manually anywhere in the game, this tweak might be what you need. To save a game anywhere, open the console (press ~) and type "\save_game gamename" (without quotes) where the gamename can be any name or number you like. For example:

\Save_game Quicksave

Will save your current place in the game under the name "Quicksave". You can now reload this game position at any time by opening the console and typing "\load_game Quicksave" (without quotes). Note that the saved game file is saved under the name you gave it (i.e. Quicksave.sav) in your \UBISOFT\Crytek\Far Cry\Profiles\player\[Profilename]\savegames directory.

If you want to assign and use specific keys to make the saving/loading functions faster, you'll need to do so in Developer Mode. See the Advanced Tweaking section for more information on enabling Devmode and the Devmode.lua file.

Open up your Devmode.lua file and copy and paste the following lines into the end of that file:

Input:BindCommandToKey("#Game:Save('Quicksave')","f9",1);

Input:BindCommandToKey("#Game:Load('Quicksave')","f10",1);

Note that in the bindings above F9 is quicksave and F10 is quickload. You can edit the words "F9" and "F10" in the lines above to whichever keys you want to use for quicksaving and quickloading, just check to make sure they're not being used for another function in Devmode or this won't work. Also note that quicksaving and quickloading this way may lead to a few glitches or odd AI behaviour in the game every once in a while.

6. GravitySmacked

I never found that tweak to be fully effective back then but then it's been a while since I last fired Far Cry back up.

7. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

Hmm. I don't think it's fair when people have aberrant experiences with a game and blame it all on the developers. I'm sure you had a bad experience but that's due to your tastes, not Crytek's incompetence. I've also heard people lambast Valve and call them incompetent because they personally didn't "get" HL2, but that series is still regarded as one of the best.

I remain firmly convinced that most people who disliked Far Cry were simply playing it wrong. It's very much a tactical, stealth shooter blended with survival horror. To those who were playing it like Unreal Tournament, yeah no **** it'd be "hard". You have to play it how it was designed for for the gameplay to really shine.

As far as the Trigens go, that's also a matter of taste. Personally I think shooting mercs in the jungle would have gotten boring by game's end and the addition of the Trigens swarming around provided an atmosphere of tension, fear and chaos not possible with rational human enemies.

And the story and dialogue? It's B-movie drivel. But then again I'm pretty sure it was never intended to be more than that. The ironic conversations you overhear by the mercs strongly suggest that Crytek never intended you to take the story super-seriously. And the checkpoint system? That can easily be overridden.

Only thing I can wholeheartedly agree on is the final battle with the dozens of the nigh-invincible Big Mutants. It's punishing and unfair to the extreme. Took a few dozen tries and much cursing at my screen before I was able to beat that part. And yes the multiplayer was totally uninspired.

TLDR, I'm sorry you didn't like the game. I thought it was utterly fantastic in almost every way. The critics tended to agree with my take, so I can't agree that Far Cry counts as somehow a "bad" game. Although it is indeed obvious from people's postings that Far Cry seems to be one of the very most controversial "well reviewed" games, along with TES4: Oblivion.

8. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

The people complaining about it being too hard must really suck at gaming or have zero patience. Sure, you get your ass handed to you quite a lot but that just pushes you to use a different tactic (there are usually several options).

The level where you begin with no guns isn't hard at all. To get past the first trigen at the waterfall you either leave the gun and run past him (run faster without weapons) or pick up the gun and snipe him. Following this jump off the waterfall and when you land just follow the river keeping to deeper parts where possible then swim round to the helicopter for the cut scene. After the cut scene either use the mounted gun to take down the trigens on the hill or just run past them to the weapon store inside the gate. Easy.

Fantastic game that I replayed a lot. The trigens didn't ruin it for me, it made it a lot more tense

9. GravitySmacked

I don't just suck at gaming I suck at life, thanks for bringing that home to me :geek:

10. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Its a service I provide

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Half Life? (one) :D
    Red Faction probably for that generation of shooters.

I had far cry go berserk on me just before the end, I somehow got off the scripted path and very strange things happened :rolleyes:

HOWEVER-compared to today's if-its-realistic-its-brown-BROWN-BROWN* games...it's mighty colourful! :D

Xir

*with a touch of olive drab

12. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I completed it years ago on easy or average - can't remember. Recently reinstalled and went for hard. Got as far Dr. Krieger and that was bloody hard, but can't defeat him no matter what, so gave up. All that hopping around and grenades - it's bloody ridiculous. I might not be Gunsmith, but I'm hardly a crap player. Trigens were massively gay and the thought of aliens in Crysis puts me off. I also hate indoor levels.

13. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

Far Cry was an interesting game but by no means a great game, it was good to see them build upon the better aspects of it with Crysis which was a big improvement. The suit powers also gave you more freedom to explore alternate ways of tackling each objective. Still not a perfect game but I found it to be more enjoyable and the aliens meshed with the story and setting far better than the trigens did.

14. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

Yeah the Trigens did spoil the game a bit. I still had lots of fun though and it was HARD. Cheap hard, but hard all the same. I don't remember being inside that much though...not compared to other games at the time anyway. One bit with mutants I did really like was when you up in the trees, connected by bridges. That was headshot glory.

15. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I think it's supposed to be like that in all games, most of the mouse-action is in the horisontal axis, so it makes sense having higher sensitivity that way.

It's even worse for console-shooters, where the levels are made on an even plane so that you can have your crosshair at the same height all the time, reducing vertical thumb-action.

I liked farcry, it was a "quality" shooter, didn't notice big bugs, and was a real challenge (OH noes it's difficult, lets uninstall and call mom!!)

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

i disagree. I control the crosshair, I should decide how it behaves !

17. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I feel almost exactly the same as you do about the game, but I still consider it a good game if only for the jungle levels.

18. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

I still like a blast on Far Cry now and then. I've finished it on all but the last difficulty now but boy, is it hard. The last level is actually quite easy all you need to do is go get the gun then go back behind the rock on the right and make a run for the waterfall as soon as the Trijun sees you. Jump straight over the edge and stay in the pool, come away from the waterfall itself as the Trijun is on his way down and can hurt you bad with one hit before it drowns. Then it's just a case of throwing stones at the nearby big brutes and wait for them to follow you into the water and drown. You might need to lure them in by getting right up to them and quickly running back into the water before the brutes hit you or the Trijun's jump at you. With patience you can kill about 10 without firing off a shot. ^_^

19. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Thats one seriously boring way of getting past the waterfall level... As I already said, you can just run past all of the trigens all the way to the jeep

20. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

was a kick ass game with a very hard challange! people will always complain about stuff, i think it was one of the best games in my child hood, completed max difficulty mutiple times, worst part for me was te volcano!

Tags: Add Tags