1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Ares Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 27 Jul 2010.

1. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

That lacks so much logic, I don't even know where to begin. If you used 2x5870's, then they are 2x5870's....

When I read this article, I was fully convinced it was 2x5970's then wondered what the hell was wrong with the FPS numbers vs the Toxic and stock 5970.

Sorry, but knowing that it's 2x5870's after reading the comments, it just all makes so much more sense now. I don't mean to be rude, but honestly that is completely misleading........

If I had a Sentra 1.8 and did a 3.5 engine swap, you don't tell people it's a "3.5 sentra" as that would make you sound like a complete jack-ass, you tell them "it was originally a 1.8, with a 3.5 swap"

Same logic applies here. *shrug*

2. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

If so many people are finding it confusing I can change it.

I simply followed the precedent set by the previous review.

I'm just a little bemused that in all the 78 comments the Sapphire Toxic review received nobody mentioned it once.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2010
  3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just goes to show how much attention people actually pay to these extreme high end cards.

But how about this as a future solution... You name the GPUs/Cards according to the actual GPUs used and don't just make up names according to specs of other GPUs or actual Graphics Cards. Say what it IS, not what you THINK it is and where it should stand against other products.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

This card is nice as a proof of concept, but nothing more as one can get 2x 5870s and a 240GB OCZ Vertex 2E for less money.

5. Teh C

Teh C Arg

'it was no surprise to see Ares had also fitted a custom cooler' on the first page. Think you mean Asus.

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Those of you being insulting in this thread ("jack ass") and taking an aggressive tone could do to calm down a little.

The review was written to be consistent with past reviews in both bit-tech and CPC; this is the first time we've had people complain. The specs list clearly says there are two GPUs on the card; if there were four, it would say 4 x [NAME]. Technically, of course, the GPU is neither a HD 5970 nor a HD 5870, but a Cypress derived chip with a part number.

The question is where to draw the line, and I think, as enthusiasts, we all recognise there's always a debate to be had over how much detail to include (as evidenced by the bloke who made the Sentra comparison which, to my mind, was obscure).

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

All be calm please, I'm sure a downclocked GTS 240 will beat the socks of this monster.

Currently running BFBC2 at full whack - at 5 FPS. Pretty good huh? I'll take pictures of it and will make you all jealous soon.

(by the way, I tried 3D with this GTS 240 and my mind was blown away, but the game was faulty - as it only was showing slideshows of the game, quite stange!)

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

lol at above post

any ways
    i never recommend an 5970 as 2x 5870 are faster in all cases (unless you went down the pointless 2x5970 route) or for same price as an ares get 2xGTX480 cards that will give more consistent performance overall

9. PandaMonster

PandaMonster What's a Dremel?

Sorry material if my comment earlier was insulting, I love reading reviews here, and I do so all the time.

But as someone said earlier, let's not name it what we want to, we should name it by what it IS.

Thanks for the review.

I never read the Toxic review, but w/e it is it should be named by what it IS, not what it has been "clocked" to.

10. djescreet

djescreet What's a Dremel?

Just to Quote a small section from the review.....

"Specifications

Graphics processor 2 x ATI Radeon HD 5870, 850MHz
    Pipeline 2 x 1,600 stream processors (850GHz), 2 x 32 ROPs
    Memory 2 x 2GB GDDR5, 4.8GHz effective
    Bandwidth 2 x 153.6GB/sec, 256-bit interface
    Compatibility DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1
    Outputs/Inputs 1 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 1 x CrossFire
    Power Connections 2 x 8-pin, 1 x 6-pin, side-mounted
    ****************************************Size 280m long, triple-slot*******************************
    Warranty Three Years"

280m long, now thats a frikking huge card!!! :D

hehe

11. DbD

DbD Minimodder

If you test cards like this you've got to use eye infinity - that's the main reason for that much performance. I suggest you add at least a 5760*1080 resolution (i.e. triple full HD display's) to all your tests.

12. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I actually disagree with you here... While special or unique features should be mentioned it is biased against other products that do not support said feature as standard. For the same reason it would be biased to add 3D performance to nVidia reviews.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Are you trying to tell me that someone buying a card as high end as that asus one won't be considering eye infinity?

It's not ati only, nvidia does support triple display gaming, admittedly on sli only (although it works on 2 series cards not just the latest)?

It should have been compared at 5760*1080 to Sli 470/480's (which are cheaper I think). Looking at other review sites you can see xfire has rubbish scaling for eye infinity, and probably would get blown away by the 470/480's, this would quite rightly effect the review conclusion.

14. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Where was the GTX480 numbers (I only saw 470's and 460's)? And, given the price, where was the SLI and CrossFire numbers?

I know people b!tch and moan that SLI and CF are no good in unsupported games, but given that even "unsupported" games work using fallback techniques (AFR, for example), then the only "Unsupported" games are very old ones, at which point you can max everything (Settings, AA, AF) with a single card and still have room to spare. I have not yet seen any situation where having SLI or Crossfire makes performance worse than having a single card. In 99.999% of cases, you get the full power of both cards. In that 0.001% of cases, you get the full power of a single card, AT WORST.

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Why oh why was the GTX480 and GTX480 SLi not included in this review? Seems like a rather major and silly oversight.

Who in the hell cares how fast it is compared to a GTX460! :rolleyes:

16. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

isn't the 5970 Toxic better for the price. lol seems odd talking about price with that kind of money:)

Tags: Add Tags