1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming StarCraft 2 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Jul 2010.

1. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I never did play the original SC so I'm not as hyped up about the game, waiting for the price to drop a bit and look forward to it regardless :)

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*Crosses fingers for Steam discount soon*

3. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

There are no Blizzard properties on Steam. Actually even the Activision catalogue is somewhat limited.

4. fatty beef

fatty beef State Side

It is literally StarCraft II. Kind of funny. Mechanics EXACTLY the same. Units more or less identical, some minor changes but pretty similar. Updated resolution and textures, pretty cool interactiveness between missions. Its StarCraft only not old and pixilated.

Will be cool when someone does a DII modd with the SC engine. That will be neat. Probably a "premium map" since activision is awesome like that.

Sucks that all 3 arent included so I cant have 100h+ of game play on one disk and really ruin my social life that already sucks but what are you going to do. Its well polished, entertaining and simple/familiar enough where I dont have to invest an ass load of time learning the ins and outs and agonizing over what units to build ect... So worth the price of admission thus far.

Cant wait for them to Biff us with WarCraft IV in 4 years spread out over 3 installations. Oh well. As long as I know I will get a good game I dont feel like Im getting totally screwed, only like the tip, just for a second.

Cheers.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

- I'd be well up for that! Can we just have a "for those who suck at RTS's in general night" as well

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

7. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

i have played about 10 single player games and only really go into that mode occasionally.
    my time is spent mostly on multiplayer. I am getting better at 1v1 now, and I can build up pretty fast. I still need to learn how to hotkey properly and remember to push the buttons at the right time. I also need to learn what units counter what enemy units bets.
    The most fun though is when a few of my mates come into a 3v3 or 4v4, we lost a hell of alot, but we have won a few by thinking up some odd tactics. the league system is actually good and playing against people with the same skill level as you is a great move by blizzard.

8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Blizzard delivered what they pretty much said the would. Stracraft with a fresh coat of paint. I'm loving the single player so far but I STILL WANT LAN PLAY! I have a LAN party coming up in a couple weeks and I'm concerned if its going to be playable. Anyone know if we play on BNETS servers or is the network traffic kept local on our network once we authenticate?

9. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Last I checked it's still done P2P so you should be fine (theoretically)

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Image captions page 3 and 4

Is there any chance of a performance analysis? I want to see how this game scales.. What can run it at minimum settings at a low res?

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  11. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

During the beta, there was a limit of 12 simultaneous Battle.net connections from the same IP. If you have less people than that, I'd imagine it would work swimmingly and hopefully keep game traffic on your local network.

12. ryall

ryall What's a Dremel?

+1

Bring on the decade-old gameplay!

13. b3roldan

b3roldan What's a Dremel?

This is what they should have done with the C&C series. C&C4 was a total let down! They should have just polished the original just like what Blizzard did.

*sigh... well that's what happens to developers bought by EA i guess.... I feel like most of the code in their games were just copy and pasted from other games and they just replaced the textures and skins.

14. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how it took Blizzard this long to make SC2, could've been complete in a couple years tops. Guess they like to work slow and build up hype.

15. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Some folks are apparently have issues with graphics cards melting while playing StarCraft 2 due to a bug that doesn't limit the framerate on in-between mission menu screens, allowing the graphics card to overstrain itself. Until a patch is out for that, the following can be done to fix it:
    In case someone notices their card getting hotter than expected.

source: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501356

16. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

I've never played Starcraft, and just looking at the videos from the beta over the last couple of months, I wasn't truly excited about SC2...Yeah, yeah I knew about the fan following and obsession over the game, but for my generation RTS games were defined by C&C and Total Annihilation and (almost) perfected with SC: Forged Alliance...

...having said all that, though, when was the last time an RTS generated as much hype, enthusiasm and debate? I'm just happy that RTS is back in the headlines and I may just have a look at the game in the next couple of months.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

As an interested consumer, I have but one question:

When you start a mission, is the entire map already revealed to you, or do you get to go exploring to discover the lay of the land?

Whether I buy this game honestly rests on the answer to this question.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I think on SP you start knowing nothing and in MP you know the lay of the land but not where the adversary is.

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Exploring and revealing the fog of war is how SC2 works.

20. ayreon

ayreon What's a Dremel?