1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus has AMD Fusion mini-ITX in development

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Aug 2010.

1. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow Bindi, if the computer market was a religion (to some it is lol) putting an Intel/nVidia image to represent the AMD/ATI would be consider sacrilegious lol, I mean when you think about it, it is sorta a slap to the face =p

Anyhow if this is aimed for the HTPC market then I pray it has better onboard audio then standard boards.

4. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

I would be very interested if this had an onboard PSU.
    Small sub 100 Watt PSU are very hard to find and expensive, and it really isn't working with an ITX board and an ATX PSU.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Just replaced my Atom notebook with a cheapo 15.6 notebook running a TF20 (1.6ghz K8) and HD3200, perfomance blows the atom out of the water despite being a single core chip clocked sloer, if this new chip is equal or better performing then that, it should be pretty good.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

even though atom was really low power i've always had this feeling that its been hashed together, especially ION.

AMD's first quad core wasn't two dual core glued together under one IHS, it was a native quad, which means AMD tend to think more about the product than just releasing a half baked idea.

Intel got bloody lucky with the Q6600, but AMD's AM3 chips seem to really show there potential and this is why i think fusion will be worth while.

7. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Interested? I'm not just interested, I'm friggan salivating here! I've been wanting to redo my current HTPC for quite some time and if the performance turns out to be as good as hyped, I'll snag one of these in a split second!

8. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

isnt some of the AMD Fusion products said to have Radoen HD 5500 Level DirectX 11 graphics?
    should surely kick intels ass back to the stone age or wait, the good old HD 3200 is STILL faster than latest intel crapstics and is old now, mind you HD 3200 was the first igp to decode upto 1080p of all blu-ray video codecs since 2008 ;)

AMD even demoed a fusion chip some time ago that they payed Aliens vs Predator
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg5mKP5R8B8

AMD basicly puts all the shaders and stuff in Radeon HD 5550 Graphics card into a Athlon II or Phenom II CPU :p

9. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see this for a home theater possibility.. Much better than just straight TV

10. HourBeforeDawn

the problem with current HTPC all in one motherboard solutions is next to no attention is made for the audio side of the equation, ya they got the video down but the audio leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they would do a shielded on-board setup with say the highend oxygen chips, or better still although from the same company if ASUS would take and put their AV100 or AV200 (pretty much the same chip just hand picked) onto a motherboard solution would be great.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

AMD should have the full UVD core in there with Audio over HDMI, and this image has an optical out, so I would expect no less on a fusion ITX board.

12. nicktg

nicktg What's a Dremel?

This could be the perfect htpc board indeed. Some extra sata ports would be useful to people who use their htpc also as a server. I would also like a built in psu, some of Asus` Ion boards do feature one.

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Hey bit-tech writers!

Please do an article on game mods(counter strike, Dota, etc)! I've never seen one here and It wou;d be interesting!

Sorry for the off-topic comment.

14. HourBeforeDawn

that is not a pic of the board, Bindi put it there as a filler, its an Intel ION board shown there, anyhow audio over HDMI sure but its not as gooda s it could be, not by a long shot, thats why it would be nice to see clean audio like offered in their Xonar highend line.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And I'm slapping it with something, that's for sure :D:lol:

16. Xir

Xir Modder

How is it Atom's fault that you want it to do something it's not been designed for? :confused:
    It's a couchsurfer with 7-8 hours runtime.
    You wanna run crysis or write a thesis, buy a computer :D

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

i know its an Ion board, see one of my posts further up. I was just saying, if the Ion board has it, theres no reason not to do it for a fusion board.

(sorry for off-topicness)
    I was under the impression that Audio over HDMI is digital, quite like the Optical out.
    i use optical out on the Integrated Soundmax audio of my Asus Maximus Formula (X38) and it is audibly very very good.

i do have a good Denon 7x100W amp, and very good Klipsch 5.0 speakers.
    I noticed a very big difference using Optical, instead of Analogue outs on my Audigy 2 ZS, even with effectively an integrated Audio solution.

So for me optical out should be near perfect, and from what i've heard DTSHD and TrueHD are awesome.
    I just wish i had an HDMI capable amp to try it out.

The integrated audio core in the ATi card is based on a Realtek design, but digital is digital, so the sound should be bit perfect every time.

that is what i have understood anyhow.

18. HTPCJunkie

HTPCJunkie Love My Home Theater!

HTPC for the Masses

I'm sure they'll offer HD Audio over the HDMI, but how they will do with the DRM is another story. DRM has always been the biggest hurdle for AMD/ATI. Others seem to have less problems, but I believe that is because they offer to include many of the obscure operations of DRM where AMD may not.

Who knows, but I damned excited about this type of MB!!

BT

PS: Of course it looks like the Asus Ion MB, Why wouldn't they use the same heatsink instead of having another one fabbed up? Geez! :duh:

19. HourBeforeDawn

LOL for the last time, that picture is 100% NOT the AMD/ATI ITX board being discussed, there is ZERO pictures of that board as its in DEVELOPMENT. That is a picture of an ION ITX board that Bindi grabbed, slapped a fussion logo on it and called it the ATI/AMD ITX board. So how it will look and what it will have no one knows at this point.

Anyhow all Im saying is it would be nice if they upped the audio quality across the board from Digital to Analog as well.

20. wallyb132

wallyb132 What's a Dremel?

Looks Good...

This board looks good, we need more AMD options in the Mini-ITX space.

Although, something a lot of people dont seem to be aware of, the perfect Mini-ITX motherboard already exists! A little known gem of a motherboard maker J&W technology makes 3 AMD based Mini-ITX board, the first being based on the AMD 780G, the second is based on 785G and the most recent entry is based on the 890GX, its got USB3.0 sata 6.0, pcie 16x, 4 sata ports and mini pcie port for wireless... I think this board is possibly the perfect HTPC / portable gaming board...

Tags: Add Tags