1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm glad you got there in the end!!!

BTW you may want to change that HD5970 HORROR to ASUS HORROR:thumb: lol.

Let me know how you get on with a Gigabyte board with your HD5970.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. doinkster

doinkster What's a Dremel?

Hi True_gamer

I just installed my new watercooling gear getting an EK block on my XFX 5970 card. Everything went smooth except my pc froze everytime i tried to start a game. Furmark worked but no games.

I searched for this problem on google and found this site.

I first tried ur 900/1200 OC bios but then I still had problems, different ones though. Nothing 3d apps would start, not even furmark.

I figured my card wouldnt handle the OC so I tried the 800/1100 OC bios.
    The ATI driver said it was installed but with warnings ( whatever that means ). I couldn't find anything in the install logs. The catalyst overclock tool is also bugged for some reason.

Games runs perfectly though and I had no other issues then that. I also tried MSI afterburner, and my card is now clocked to 950/1200 with descent temps. That kinda eliminates my initial thought that the card couldn't handle the overclock.

I wanna thank you alot for posting the, it was a lifesaver !

Cheers

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Hi mate,

This sounds to me like you didn't clear all display drivers properly. You should uninstall all CCC drivers by using add/remove program in control panel. After the reboot download and use Driver Sweeper and then reboot now you should go straight to DOS and flash the Pre oc vbios. (Do not go straight back into windows as windows will try and install some display drivers.)
    Once flashed with the Pre OC vbios you should load into windows and then install the latest ATI drivers, which at present is 10.8. Now you should be good to go.

The warnings, which I mention in Post #1 next to the Pre OC vbios is because the clocks don't match the Driver clocks. This is why I stated 'Just Click OK and have fun'.

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  4. doinkster

doinkster What's a Dremel?

Ok, cool :D

Since I've now flashed the bios and most work fine. No errors in game still.

Should I still do what you said in your last post, including reflashing the bios ? Or is this what I should have done ?

Although, the catalyst doesnt bug anymore either. It was just after the first reboot it seems like.
    Mabey it's actually working properly afterall. I will redo what you just said if I encounter any problem.

Thanx

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well if its still running fine now, then I would leave it. But if like you have said, you start getting problems, then I would consider what I said in my last post.

Cheers,

Simon.

6. fullinfusion

fullinfusion What's a Dremel?

True Gamer, the problem for me in fact was the mix up of the master and slave.

I finally got the balls to try again flashing my 5970oc and didn't have any problems at all.

I renamed the file to...
    m.ac1
    s.ac1

typed atiflash -i in DOS and it showed my adapters were

Slave 0
    Master 1

That was the problem I ran into the first time..

Thanks for the great thread

+1 rep please

Last edited: 3 Sep 2010
  7. bim

bim What's a Dremel?

I registered as a member cos I need to say thank you to TRUE GAMER! :thumb:

Just bought a Sapphire 5970 which came with the original bios and tried to OC for a bit but it gave me nothing but nightmares. Flashed the card with the 900/1200 bios first but the system became unstable and keep crashing. Switched to the 800/1100 one and now it's working like a charm! I dont know why I couldnt use the 900/1200 one, my PSU is a coolermaster UCP 1100w and my CPU is a Q9650@4.0Ghz, 8G RAM. Any ideas??

Anyways salute to TRUE GAMER! You da man~!! :rock:

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If it wasn't for another member stating the mix up on Master and Slave, I would have never of known. It's strange that Company's would change the Master and Slave Gpu's around, even with the same Make Manufacture.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed in the end. Now go and enjoy it!! :thumb:

Cheers,

Simon.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Are you using a waterblock with the 900/1200 vbios? if so then it could be down to the waterbock in need of resitting or try what I have wrote in POST#263.

I'm glad you have got your card working without problems anyhow.

Cheers,

Simon.

10. Snox

Snox HD5970 Horrors

ReTitled - Asus MB Trouble

Ok - So I couldn't wait for the US trip and went ahead with a Gigabyte X58 UD5 (did not need all the extra bells and whistles of the UD7). Having literally just finished installing Win7 (now back to 64bit), virus scan, 10.8 drivers and then AvP, the latter is working a treat.

Yet to ramp up all the dials but gave it a good hour session (nightmare to play - so dark - but can't wait to really get going) and rock solid. Fan speeds stable, GPU, CPU, MB temps all stable and hardly any fan noise. I am now a very happy boy. Will sort out all the EyeFinity stuff in due course but for now, Gigabyte to the rescue.

Many thanks for you advice True_Gamer and totally agree this is a Asus mare. 6PT range had good reports but experience is now a whole lot different. Very impressed with the Gigabyte and now I have got my head around the Award BIOS all working well and first time pretty much.

I'll load a few more 3D heavyweights (Dirt 2 next with DX11) and fully expecting good news to report back. For now final working spec as follows: Gigabyte X58 UD5, i7 960 3.2Ghz, 12GB Corsair 1600 DDR3 RAM, 6 x 1TB (x3 2GB Stripe RAIDs) Seagate Barracudas, Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W PSU, Iiyama Prolite 22" x 2 (third to come), ThermalTake Level10 chasis...

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's excellent news!!!! It's very satisfying when your PC comes together and all is working well.
    Hurry up and get that 3rd monitor. You will love the surround feel from the EPIC panorama view.
    Crysis just blows you away, even tho you have to turn it down the settings a bit to run at such a high res, but it still looks pretty sweet!!!.

Have fun!!

Cheers,

Simon.

12. z0mi3ie

z0mi3ie What's a Dremel?

:clap::clap::clap:

I completed my system a few weeks ago. Ever since then my ASUS 5970 was giving me constant issues and this is the ONLY fix I had found.

I never flashed bios before, and this guide was great! Thank you so much, man. I have the 5970 cooled with an EK block so I was invested pretty heavily in something that was crashing so frequently. Flashing the bios on this thing was scary :eeek:

The only issue I ran into was the first time I tried flashing I got an error regarding locked rom. Here is the command I used for both the master(0) and slave(1).

atiflash -unlockrom 0
    atiflash -unlockrom 1

When I entered each the system said Ok. I then tried flashing my bios again and it worked! I am now running at 950/1200 with the Sapphire bios :D

Thanks again!

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's great. I'm glad you have got your card up and running how it should be.

Anyway thanks for the command lines for atiflash. This may help anyone who is having trouble trying to flash the vbios.

Cheers,

Simon.

14. z0mi3ie

z0mi3ie What's a Dremel?

Hey Simon,

This is kind of an OT question but if I wanted to change the bios to a higher clock and then reflash what do I have to do? I have a pretty hefty WC setup and my temps are still pretty low under load with the 950/1200.

Thanks again for the fix and bios man. Running solid since I flashed :clap:

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Its hard to explain. Tell me what clock speed you want on Core and Memory plus voltages for each.
    Just to warn you that 1000mhz core may need alot more than 1.2v and 1300mhz memory is not stable or guaranteed to run on every card.

I also have a very good water cooling setup. My temps on both GPU's don't go above 50c with ambient temp of 25c (This is after a good couple of hours gaming).
    So just cause the temps are low, doesn't mean we can get any more out of are GPU's.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Sep 2010
  16. rover96

rover96 What's a Dremel?

Hi true_gamer

Just for info,
    I was having micro stutter/hesitation issues running UT3. I am currently using your OC vbios which has eliminated the BSOD's on WIN 7 Ultimate 64. Thanks again. As for the micro-stutter, I rolled back my Catalyst drivers to 10.5 and it is running much smoother. 10.8 seemed to be the root of my problems.

Thanks again,

Jon.

17. JAMMUR

JAMMUR OMG

Hi,

Stumbled upon this forum and hopefully it's the breakthrough I need!! Here's the problem, I have an XFX 5970 BE and I'm having the same prob as everyone else here! I have edited the XML file for the 2D clocks to be 450/1000 but still no joy! So before I flash it with this Sapphire BIOS would you you recommend I up the VOLTAGE using the voltage tool for my current change in settings or will I be better to flash it?

Thanks in advance

JAMMUR

18. ElGreco

ElGreco What's a Dremel?

I have the same card...
    in 3 words... "Flash your card"
    and you will be just fine!

19. JAMMUR

JAMMUR OMG

Thanks a lot for your reply! :thumb: Can the Black edition handle theses core speeds ok I presume ?

Thanks

Jamie M

20. JAMMUR

JAMMUR OMG

Also, how is it possible to flash an XFX card with a Sapphire BIOS ? Just curious:eyebrow:

Thanks

JAMMUR