1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. ElGreco

ElGreco What's a Dremel?

Hi,

thanks a lot for your research...
    ...still I would like to get focused in NON-overclocked case. With your review I am a little bit lost when you refer to non-overclocked case and when in overclocked?!

Also, something else to note: It is known (I have also the specific numbers) that the XFX bios uses more tight memory timings than the sapphire one meaning, xfx should be a little faster in default clocks but a little bit less overclockable as well. Just something extra to keep in mind and justify the "behavior" of new xfx bios.

Again, thanks for the review and yes in general, as I have been informed Sapphire OC bios is more "complete" than the old XFX one, yet the new xfx bios is more close to the sapphire oc bios.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks for the time on testing the 2 vbios ViRuS2k. :thumb:

ElGreco,

As for the tighter timings you state about with the XFX vbios, Is there really going to be any real world differences? Maybe 1fps at stock speeds...but most people who have brought the HD5970, have brought it to overclock it to the same speeds as 2X HD5870. Which now has been proved by ViRuS2k needs more voltage to run stable than the Sapphire vbios.

Cheers,

Simon.

3. ElGreco

ElGreco What's a Dremel?

Simon,

most probably you are right... the difference in FPS due to tighter memory timings should not give that much of a benefit, compared to the huge benefit you get with these amazing overclocks all of us (me included) have managed to get with the sapphire oc. Of course a benchmark would be nice, comparing XFX and SapphireOC default clocks, to see whats the difference due to the bios alone. Apart from memory timings, a bios can include other "routines" making the bios a little faster or slower, "safer" or "simpler"...

In any case, it is nice to know that when we decide to re-sell our XFX BE card we can do that with a new xfx bios that is cold bug free and not the bios of another manufacturer.

Virus2k/Plug2k thanks for sharing your new xfx bios with us!:thumb:

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That's a fair point made!!:thumb:

Cheers,

Simon.

5. JAMMUR

JAMMUR OMG

XFX say that and have pointed out the BLACK EDITION is for extensive overclocking and even upping the Core on most cards to as little as 750 MHz makes the thnig crash ?

So why not just call it the XFX 5970 without the 'BLACK EDITION' because even the Saphhire, MSI and Asus cards are getting more overclock speeds than most Black editions !!

Before this card I had an XFX 8800GTX which ran brilliant for 3 years and thats how I went with them again but having loads of problems with ATI and XFX doubt I WILL EVER get an XFX card again. Personally I think having to use another vendor's BIOS on your card is very much out of order !

Thanks

JAMMUR

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

This is why I only use Sapphire or Powercolor when buying a ATI card. All my previous Nvidia cards used to be BFG...but now they cease to exist.

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  7. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys.I have the same problem what you guys had before. I just installed the block on my graphics card and since then I can't play with any game. I bought this card Sapphire 5970 OC in march and so far just the cpu was watercooled from my system. I have read the first some pages of this topic so probably I will find that answer what I look for, but just in case i pass here some details : I had the 2D crash problem but the latest driver 10.9 solved it as well I had the display port monitor from loosing input problem which is solved also at least it seems so.. I mean I just installed the block few days ago and I had many crashes :wallbash: and sometimes I got the same text :display port.. I can run furmark with 900/1300 EV : 1.16 Volt MV : 1.15 Volt (redline both voltages are on max)
    and I ran stability test with extreme burning option and after an hour the max temp. was 50 C something and the VRM 70 C . But I can't run the furmark just if I preheat the card with the single Furmark.:jawdrop: If i start straight with the Multi-Gpu Furmark it loocks and the whole system gets freeze so it's cold bug I guess If I have higher temp I can play but in this case i can't keep my cpu at 4 gig which is just annoying:duh:
    Here is my spec : Asus Rampage 3 Extr.,I7-930 ,Sapphire5970OC,G.Skill Trident 3*2gb 2000mhz.Thermaltake toughpower 1200W, the rest not so important I think. and here is the watercooling system : Zalman reserator 1 V2 (it was fine to chill the cpu but as I bought the gpu block I bought a new pump too and radiators) so the original pump is taken out I use the Reserator just like a reservoir the pump is swiftech mcp655 with an EK X top the gpu-block is XSPC Razor and 1 more single XSPC reservoir 1 dual 1 single radiator. well the pc works unobjectionably and the cooling system too. I've done many tests the ''only'' issue is when I launch any game and the pc just dies.this , mine main problem also i am really noob at bios flashing so far i did it just once though that was succesfull. mine question is the only way to resolve the cold-bug the biosflashing ? what bios should I use the latest or the previous ones ? and what driver is the best for the 5970 by your experience. Any help,advise appreciated in advance.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The vbios will fix your problems. I always install the latest drivers. I can't say I have really had a bad experience from always using the latest drivers.
    As you have it water cooled, use the pre overclocked vbios (950/1200). You will proberly find that 1300mhz memory is why you are running into stability problems as well.

Cheers,

Simon.

9. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

Thank You True Gamer for the quick answer:)
    Is this pre overclocked vbios (950/1200) at the first pages ? because I can't find it I see there these 3 :
    overclocked 5970 v126 vbios
    Pre OC vbios 900/1200 1.175v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI
    Pre OC vbios 800/1100 1.15v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI

so which1 do u recommend me the 1st or the 2nd
    thank U in advance
    otherwise ur Rig looks awesome and mine question is U really use 3 pumps :eeek:?
    it must be enormous pressure :lol:

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

For those of you using a waterblock here's a Pre OC vbios for the HD5970 Clocks 950/1200

You will need to uninstall all display drivers before flashing this OC vbios. Overwise you will get a BSOD.
    I would not recommend using this vbios if you are not using a watercooling block!

overclocked 5970 v126 vbios

For those of you flashing a different branded card Please type this command first to tell you which GPU is master and slave by 0 and 1 (My Master GPU is 0 and my Slave GPU is 1. Some people have stated that other brands have the Master GPU as 1 and the Slave GPU as 0). atiflash -i

(m) for master (s) for slave vbios.

Put these 2 files on your dos enabled usb stick along with ati flash tool.

Now type the following commands

atiflash -p 0 m.ac1 -f

Then after that bios has flashed type;

atiflash -p 1 s.ac1 -f

Now reinstall CCC and check GPUZ to make sure your clocks are running at 950/1200 1.2v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI

You may get a CCC warning saying your display drivers are _______? Just click ok and have fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the one for the 950/1200 clocks. Make sure before flashing to type (atiflash -i) in DOS without the ( ). This will tell you which is master and which is slave gpu.

Yes I use 3 pumps in my PC, 1 pump for each single loop.

Cheers,

Simon.

11. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

well now I try to figure out how to make a Dos enabled usb stick because for some reason I can't open the guide what U put at the 1st page,I'll look after it on youtube well sorry for being noob lol xd

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The guide can be open using powerpoint.:thumb:

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

so I downloaded this :For those of you that are unsure how to make a DOS bootable disc, please download this linkhttp://www1.sapphiretech.com/global/lib_files/103.zip
    and I've done exactly what u did in the guide I formated the usb, copied this ati tools and the 2 files of the ''overclocked5970v126vbios.zip'' I did reboot and the only thing what I typed is :FLASH after I got the same screen as was shown at step15 with the same details.
    So did I do it well ? just because after I reinstalled the CCC I froze out again from a certain game (EFLC) but may the game don't like latest driver. after I launched SF-IV and it runs stably
    though the gpu is 27 C I mean the game is still running right now since 20-30 mins and I can run already the furmark-multi-gpu even under 30 C so does it mean the flashing was succesfull does it. anyway I'll install some other games ,now I have only 2 . if they wont work I'll repeat the bios flash manually anyway is any difference between them ? I ,mean flashing the bios by typing the details or flashing the bios typing just : Flash. ?
    otherwise i still didn't check the OC lol

14. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

well it didn't work after a while I got Screendeath again then I flashed the bios with the 900/1200 and now it works flawless. I may try still the 950/1200 but mine max gpu-core was so far 930. above it always froze. but anyway thank u very much U saved my life lol :)
    why did i build this if it unable for gaming, U R a tru-gameoracle and ATI or amd definitely should to pay you taking your time to help others :)

15. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You haven't flashed your card. READ THIS...

After making a DOS bootable USB drive, and adding the 2 vbios + Atiflash tools to your USB stick. You then go reboot into Pure DOS. Now type atiflash -i
    Now that command will tell you which GPU is Master and which is Slave by 0 and 1.
    So if Master is 0 and slave is 1. m.ac1 is Master vbios. s.ac1 is Slave vbios.
    You can now type the following commands,

atiflash -p 0 m.ac1 -f

Then once that is completed
    Now type this to flash the Slave vbios.

atiflash -p 1 s.ac1 -f

Once that has flashed, you can now reboot.

Cheers,

Simon.

16. Viko

Viko What's a Dremel?

hmmm well what do u mean by I haven't flashed my card. I wrote I did and I have done it exactly this way I typed these 2 commands it worked and since then the card works in 3D too.

17. Altra001

Altra001 What's a Dremel?

Question for True_Gamer

Hello True_Gamer

I have been following your BIOS Flash posts, and have found it most helpful.

I have a question for you tho as I've seen it mentioned a couple of times about identifying the Master and Slave GPU's.

Now I have a Gigabyte HD 5970 and with the assistance of MSI Afterburner and the atiflash -i utility, I have confirmed that GPU 0 (MSI GPU 1) is the Master and GPU 1 (MSI GPU 2) is the slave.

Now with my current BIOS (012.020.000.028) when i disable Catalyst AI (Crossfire) my Slave GPU (MSI GPU 2) becomes the primary. IE: when i run 3d benchmarks the Slave is active.

Are you able to provide some insight to this?

Now I flashed the BIOS with the ones you provided (Seem older revisions to the one I have) and when i disable Catalyst AI the Master GPU kicks in as expected.
    What am I missing here? I dont get it!

With your BIOS's I also now have greater control over the FAN. With my original BIOS I could set my own FAN speeds with the MSI graph, just not with the main slider.

Im back on my original BIOS now, but just dont understand what is going on with this whole Master/Slave thing and why my Slave becomes active with Crossfire disabled.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Why are you disabling Catalyst AI? Ideally the master gpu should be the primary gpu.

Atiflash -i is not a utility, its a command you type in Pure DOS mode which will tell you which is slave and which is master gpu.

If your Master gpu is 0 then flash as the commands are stated in post 1. If not, then you will need to change the 0 in the command to 1 if your master gpu is 0.

As for stating the vbios is old and has been revised. These vbios which are posted, are the lastest from Sapphire. Just because your serial bios says 028, doesn't mean it is a later vbios than mine. (Every manufacture will use different numbers for their bios).

Now if your not having problems with your card, why are you bothering in flashing it with a different manufacture vbios?

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator: 1 Oct 2010
    Teelzebub likes this.
  19. Ranger052

Ranger052 What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys I am new to this forum :) I was looking on google for a overclocked Bios for 5970 and I found this forum :)

I already updated my bios with the one that you have on the first post the 950/1200 and it works perfect on my card, but I have the 5970 plus a 5870 and I would like to get a overclocked bios for my 5870, just to match the speed of the 5970... so guys if any of you can give me a overclocked bios please send it to me by email or something please...

Sorry for my English is my second language

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

If you send me your vbios for the HD5870, I can adjust the clocks for it.

Cheers,

Simon.