1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HD5970 'Fixed all problems with latest official BIOS' (Added latest vBIOS in post #1)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 7 Apr 2010.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The vbios flashing will not mess up your monitor. The reason you where able to get a max resolution of 1600x1200, is because your running off windows default display drivers. You obviously didn't install the ATI drivers, where once they are installed, you then go back into screen settings, and adjust the resolution to your monitors native.

I just don't think you managed to flash your card correctly and as of what Post 2 says.
    Their are plenty of people on this thread that have successfully flash there cards, without any issues.
    There is plenty of information throughout the 500+ posts to help you flash your card and make it as easy as possible if you just spend the time to read rather than flicking through.

Cheers,
    Simon.

2. sentinelvdx

sentinelvdx What's a Dremel?

True_Gamer,

A friend of mine who has just bought his HD5970 and I give him the same recommendation I took about updating vBIOS to solve the hangs, is asking me if the vBIOS "Pre OC vbios 800/1100 1.15v VDDC 1.15v VDDCI" would work on his card or if it'll be too hot for the stock cooling system that comes with his card (he has the same Sapphire HD5970 2GB stock that I have).

I prefer asking to you than letting him go without your comment first.

Thanks,

Guest-44432 likes this.
  3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, that should be fine. But just keep an eye on the temps, as its all down to how well your case circulates air.

Cheers,

Simon.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

LOL your still at it mate even now you dont have ATI cards your still helping people in this thread.

This should be a sticky, And + Rep to you Simon.

Guest-44432 likes this.
  5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Thanks mate,

Whilst people still post in this thread, I will still help them as best I can:thumb:

Teelzebub and Ljs like this.
  6. inrock

inrock What's a Dremel?

I had system lock ups while gaming for over a year now with Sapphire 5970 OC, tried everything from formatting to different versions of drivers which in some cases worked (10.2 was the most stable but poor performance).
    Im glad i found this thread cause it seems to be a help to many people.

Now because im a noob im not sure if i done this correctly. I think i did flash my bios but wanted to make sure. In my catalyst information centre these come up:

Primary Adapter
    Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
    Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
    Device ID 689C
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID C000
    Subsystem Vendor ID 174B

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
    Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.020.000.019
    BIOS Part Number 113-C01OCM-AC1
    BIOS Date 2010/05/30

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 735 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 1010 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 129.3 GByte/s

Linked Adapter
    Device ID 689C
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID C000
    Subsystem Vendor ID 174B

BIOS Version 012.020.000.014
    BIOS Part Number 113-C01OCS-AC1
    BIOS Date 2010/05/30

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

Linked Adapter
    Device ID 689C
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID C000
    Subsystem Vendor ID 174B

BIOS Version 012.020.000.014
    BIOS Part Number 113-C01OCS-AC1
    BIOS Date 2010/05/30

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I can't tell you right now, as I'm working away. But as soon as I get home at the end of the week.
    I will check for you.

Cheers,
    Simon.

8. transpro61181

transpro61181 What's a Dremel?

Hello Simon. I think this issue might be related to my idle clocks at 157/300. Is there anyway I can manually edit the ati driver to make the idle clocks stay at 400/1100? I cant see how the card (hardware wise) could be the issue, because it runs every game i throw at it flawlessly (crysis warhead/cod bo/cod mw2/wow) and furmark stable for 2 hours. and the only thing that messes up is windows aero backgrounds. this problem is totally random. It will be fine for a couple of days then out of nowhere i get wierd artifacts on the screen, and as soon as i go and change my desktop back to a normal, non aero background all the artifacts go away. there are no other issues in the 2D enviroment. So im thinking it could either be an issue with the windows software or the idle clocks being too low. All my gpu/voltage reg temps are very low, there is no way it can be an issue with heat, unless there is a regulator temp not shown in gpu/z thats overheating, which i seriously doubt since 3D games run perfect with no issues. Also i have done a fresh o/s install 3 times.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

There seems to be something wrong there. I know that the vbios that I posted in post 1 fixes the 2D crashes. My HD5970 ran flawlessly in 2D with the clocks set at 157/300mhz since I installed the vbios.
    Are you sure you have flashed your card properly? Cause I can't see what else you can try other than RMA it.

Cheers,
    Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  10. transpro61181

Do you constantly run aero backgrounds on your computer? Are you running win 7 64? My issue only shows up in aero backgrounds. Never have a 2d problem anywhere else so its been kind of boggling my mind a bit. Its fair to say its an aero problem rather than a 2d problem. If i stay on a regular windows background its flawless. I read a lot in other forums that 157/300 cant keep up with the aero backgrounds as they are graphics intense, so I edited my .xmp file to run idle clocks at 400/900 with gpu volts at 1.037 instead of .9 So far I have not had any problems but today is only day 2. I will see how it goes. Also, why do you think this is a hardware problem as I cant get it to freeze or act up whatsoever in 3d intense games/furmark. Does 2d enviroments utilize a certain part of the hardware that is otherwise not touched whatsoever in 3d enviroments?.

Last edited: 16 Dec 2010
  11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sorry for the late response. I'm working away a lot.

Yes I do use aero background all the time, and I use windows 7 Professional 64bit.

Cheers,
    Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.
  12. transpro61181

Well it did it again, but this time as soon as I exited out of a 2 hour long game of COD MW2 (which ran flawelessly) I dont know how to get this in a screenshot so im gonna describe it the best i can. It is a black bar that is about 2 inches wide top from bottom that runs completely across the screen with garbled colored lines inside the black bar. Now each time i change the aero desktop background, the black bar will progress towards the top of the screen, until ultimately it will start back at the bottom again and work its way to the top. Now if i change the background back to a non aero one it goes away, then i can go right back to an aero background with no problem. this problem is so random i can only get it to happen 20 percent of the time im using my computer. Ive tried to duplicate it many times with no luck..it always happens when i least expect it. so this time I decided to bring all my clocks back to stock and restored all defaults in ccc to get idle clocks back to 157/300. Up until now i had the card overclocked to 900/1.185 on the gpu and 1100 w/stock volts on the memory. I didnt suspect the overclocks to be the problem at first since i had no 3d problems, but ill see if it does it again at bone stock. I am just having a hard time believing its hardware when i have no problems stress testing or playing games on the card. I sure hope i dont have to rma this thing because i have no other vid card to fall back on during the wait. :wallbash:

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010
  13. transpro61181

If it happens again, my next experiment will be to bring the idle clocks up to 3d clocks 725/1010. Do you think that will stress my card out too much for it to be idling like that? I do shut my computer down at night when i go to sleep but sometimes i leave it on all night for downloads.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010
  14. transpro61181

Well it did it again :grr:. This time I got the screen shot for u Truegamer. http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/gixxerjrock/?start=all Its the first two pics. Tell me what u think. Its this exact same thing everytime. When it happened I updated my drivers from 10.11 to 10.12 and updated my bios on my motherboard (R3E) from 0802 to the latest 1102 bios. I also ran memtest off of a bootable cd and no errors. I have the video card at bone stock with no overclock settings applied. Im gonna let the pc run all night with aero in the background swiching backgrounds every 10 secs to work the card to see if it will happen again. Usually when it happens to me is right when I exit a 3d intense game or just hover over the open windows on the taskbar. If it continues im all out of ideas. I just want to exhaust every thing I possibly can before I rma this thing. And seriously..thanks a lot for taking the time to help me. Jerrod

15. micla

micla What's a Dremel?

bios flashed

Dear Simon,

I hope you can help me, i have this strangest problem with my sapphire 5970oc:

let me first tell you that i'm dutch, so my enlisch is not verry well, sorry for that

I accountert some problems in many of my games like battlefield bad company 2, modern warfare 1 and 2, black opps, and others. In the first 2 minutes of those games, i could play without any problems, all doeing great. But then, after 1 or 2 minutes the frames began to stutter every 0,8 second or so. I got grazy and it made me angry. So i began to search for an sollution when i stombled on this thread. i have no temparature issues, so i thougt it would be worth trying to flash my bios with a newer one. So i did. I've used the one in post 1 with standerd clocks. i did it in dos en all went well. so far.

But now i've even worst framerate in bfbc2 and some other games,also my clocks are flactuating in 2d (and mayby also in 3d?)

also the stutter issue is still here, and even in desktopmode, when i pick up a window and move it arround over the screen i get the same 0,8 stutter issue. i never had that before.

In bfbc2 it looks like 1 gpu is not working at all ( afterburner tells me differend though) , as at looks very simular to one time i tried to disable one gpu ( just to see if it workt ) all that was before the flash.

Can you help me? Is it possible my card is broken?

i already tried all of this:

losenned my mem timings to 12-12-12-32
    taken out my soundcard
    taken out all hard drives, but 1
    underclock my 5970
    all system clock to default
    formatted the system
    tried another os
    tried all latest catalyst drivers

my system:
    i7 950@4,2 Ghz watercooled
    asus hdav 1.3 de luxe
    sapphire 5970oc
    6 gig datornator 1866mhz 8-8-8-24
    antec p194
    windows 7 ultimate

greetz micla

16. micla

micla What's a Dremel?

Dear Simon,

I've done some more testing, and the problem gets weirder and weirder:

Now i can only have 2 minutes of flawless playing in bfbc2 after a FORMAT OF THE SYSTEM!!!. whithin 2 minutes i get that crazy 0,8 sec stutter again. I've reproduced this for several times now and works every time. ( even if i let the system run first for half an hour after format, the first game i run plays without problems for 2 minutes, then it's over.) Then when i close the game and start it up again it looks like only 1 gpu is working as my fps drops to about 35 or so. I can't even tell if the 0.8 sec stutter is still there anymore due to low framrate
    it does that every time i start the game from that point on, even after deinstall en reinstall of videodrivers and de game itself. only a format gets me those two minutes back.

Can it be something within windows? or directx? maybe some logfile that is running full in two minutes? or some memmory leaking? ( aldough that wouldend matter as i think all memory cleans itself with restart of the system? )

Today i'm going to flash my original bios back and see what happens. i'll let you know.

micla

17. micla

micla What's a Dremel?

Hey People,

I've fixed my problem!!!

After reflasching my card the problem was still there, so the search went on.

Last night i had done a format again, installed bfbc2 again, and started de game. within 2 minutes the stuttering was there. I imidiatly closed the game and began to search for the last files on my hard drive that were altered. i could bring it down to 6 files. 5 of them had in no matter to do with the game or directx. for 1 file i could't tell, so i deleted that file in de system32 directory.

My problem was gone!!!!

I still don't know how or why this file gave me so much problems. and why it is even created after a first run of any game, but i'm happy again. my games play like never before now al smooth and flawless!!! jippie

mayby some weird 2011 bug?? as it had begon 1 the first week of 2011?

no matter to me, lets play some..

micla

18. sergey_77

sergey_77 What's a Dremel?

question

Hy guys.
    Please give me some advices.
    I want to watercool my 2 5970 beasts.(cpu not)
    Load is 95%on them constantly, (im rendering stuff)
    And i would like to overclock both of the cards up to ~1ghz.(memory tweaking is a question, what is prefered for this value)

What kinda radiator and pump do you advise? (I would prefer 1 water system)

Second question: If i run this in this term constantly, can it damage the cards? (I would like to use them for couple of years)

Best Regards.

19. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sorry for the late response. I've been working away over the festive period.

Anyhow I'm glad you got it sorted in the end!!

What was the name of the file, as I'm sure this may help other peeps in the same boat.

Cheers,
    Simon.

20. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Not all HD5970 can achieve 1ghz core and 1300mhz(5200mhz) memory. I would settle for the 950/1200 vbios in post 1, which will be stable.

I would go for 2x EK waterblocks with a 480 raditator andthis pump in a single loop.

I had my HD5970 for about 1yr running 1000/1300 watercooled with no problems.

Hope this helps you out,

Cheers,

Simon.

Teelzebub likes this.